Nervous with no support | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Nervous with no support Nervous with no support

Unread 08-15-2007, 04:02 PM
Nervous with no support

Hi all, My name is Cheri and I am scheduled to have a TAH done on the 27 of September. As the time draws nearer the more scared I get. I have been trying to get my family involved and get them to understand that I am going to need some help after my surgery, but they are all to busy. My BF seems to think I will be out and ready to go within a week. I have been reading this site and now I am more scared than ever. HELP!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-15-2007, 04:18 PM
Nervous with no support

Cheri dont be scared. Preperation is key. Honest to goodness i was glad Dh and kids were gone most days. Enjoy the peace and quiet. 1st few days are rough but it gets better
Unread 08-15-2007, 04:37 PM
Nervous with no support

Cheri, maybe you could start by printing out some of the information on this website which relates to the pre and post surgery stuff you need to do and prepare and start by sharing it with your BF--he should be your main source of support at this time and after surgery. As for your family, consider having a family meeting and sharing some of the same materials: a hysterectomy is MAJOR ABDOMINAL SURGERY, and sure, if you have no choice but to go through it alone you probably could. But that would be less than ideal in terms of your healing process and no matter how busy people are once they realize just how serious a matter this is maybe they will consider giving you a little time now and then while you recover, mainly in the first week or so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-15-2007, 04:58 PM
Nervous with no support

Hi Cheri,
I too had days that scared me to death. I would read posts to prepare myself and something would strike me and I'd cry. Waiting is the hard part. Try to use this time to prepare yourself. Warn others that you don't know exactly how physically limited you'll be, but for them to count on NOTHING from you for 2 weeks. And after that it is still very slow going. You will only have one time to heal and healing will be your focus. I was surprised how well I felt just a week after surgery.

I had a friend stop by (I'm 3 weeks post op) she asked the usual - how ya doin' how ya feelin'. I said, well I pretty much sit here and don't do much. She said Oh yes you do, you are slowly knitting and crocheting yourself back together! Sweet gal!

You'll see, the loved ones around you will figure out how to manage on their own. And don't be embarrassed to ask for assistance with things. Most people want to help but don't know how to ask. Simple things begin to mean the most.

Take care of you
Unread 08-16-2007, 07:42 AM
Nervous with no support

Cheri, this website is a lifesaver. You will find so much support and help and information here for you and all the others in your life. Lots of people will think you are fine because your VOICE will probably be fine once you exit the castle and/or they will see you sitting and 'looking pretty' and then wonder why you can't race around the block w/them........ but remember that we are all here for you to listen to you and support you. Busy yourself with chores, stocking up supplies (I had enough canned tea to last me two months post op....in two weeks I'll finally be able to lift those 12 packs at the store and bring some more home), cleaning w/the knowledge that you're going to let it all go after surgery.....reading, exercising so you are in as good of shape going in to the castle as your body will let you.....and reading some more.

Best of luck to you.........remember that you have lots of friends here, even if we haven't known you that long yet.
E.
Unread 08-16-2007, 08:18 AM
Nervous with no support

Cheri, I am so sorry you are having a rough time! You know the thing that took the most fear away for me? The first time I came here, I was just glancing over the forum titles..Then I saw there were 112 reading in the pre op section and 87 reading in the post op. It suddenly hit me... I am not alone! I cryed before I even got a forum open to read.

"They do this surgery all the time" has brought me a lot of comfort. It has also helped knowing exactly what will happen. The ladies above have some really good ideas. I find keeping myself as busy as I can ( not easy on bed rest) is warding off a good bit of panic.

In another post.. someone sugested going over and reading in the post op section. While I cant bring myself to do it, I hear that alot of posts over there are about how they were all worried and it really turned out to be not that bad and how the waiting is the hardest part.

You have a signifigant wait... the up side to that is, you have so much time to plan and organize and get everything ready! You have tons of time to prepare! I suspect by the time your date comes up you and your support are going to be a well oiled machine of productivity.

Stay positive! and know that you have lots of sisteres here that are glad to hear everyword you have to say about anything

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register