Going home 5 + hours after surgery ~ Too Soon? - Page 2 | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Going home 5 + hours after surgery ~ Too Soon? Going home 5 + hours after surgery ~ Too Soon?

Unread 08-30-2010, 04:57 PM
Re: Going home 5 + hours after surgery ~ Too Soon?

Mine was laparoscopic total hysterectomy with removal of everything but my left ovary. I got to the surgical center at 6:30 and was home by lunch. I wasn't able to pee so I had to go home with a catheter and got to take it out the next morning.

I am a nurse and I was adamant about not spending the night in the hospital. I figured I could hurt at home just as easily as I could hurt at the hospital but at least I could have the comforts of home and less risk of infection (sorry but it's true!).

HOWEVER, I only live a couple of miles from the hospital so if I had experienced an emergency (blood clot, pulmonary embolism, severe bleeding, etc) I was really close to help. Plus, my husband took off of work for several days to help me and I don't have human kids (just fur kids) so what's right for me isn't necessarily right for everybody. My circumstances allowed for me to recover safely and comfortably at home.

I did not encounter any problems at home that could have been solved any better at the hospital. Yes, they will give you IV pain meds a couple of times at the hospital but they want to get you on pills ASAP so you can go home. It wasn't worth one or two doses of Dilaudid for me to stay in an uncomfortable hospital bed eating gross food and having to stumble around the room dragging an IV pole.

I certainly don't fault anyone for staying in the hospital...some people need the additional support from nurses because they won't get much help at home. That first 48 hours is going to be the roughest. If your husband is not going to be able (or willing) to wait on you hand and foot, make sure your Dr. knows.

If hubby can take care of you, I think you will be fine and will be glad you got to recover at home! Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-30-2010, 06:21 PM

I had a TVH but kept my ovaries. My insurance ok'd a one day stay, but I was gone after about 22 hours. Surgery was around 11 a.m. and done right around 12:30. I was in my room by 4 and up in a chair at 6. I woke up at 4 a.m., but couldn't pass gas until around 1 p.m.. They sent me home at 2 that afternoon. Each doctor is different, but they won't let you go if you are having any issues - not peeing, not passing gas, extreme nausea and/or vomiting - are all reasons that could keep you longer. Just be sure you let them know if you don't feel "right."
Unread 08-30-2010, 07:24 PM

Everyone is different. I had a reaction to zofran. That was given for nausea. Also my doctor required that I receive 5 doses of antibiotic thru my iv before I leave. My doctor had a list of things I needed to accomplish before I could go home. My hospital had me on morphine and they keep me on it until the next morning. Write down any questions and ask your doctor. Good luck
Unread 08-30-2010, 07:25 PM

My surgery is scheduled at the end of the month and I am hoping it is considered an outpatient surgery. I will be discussing this with my physician again as she stated before some people go home the same day.

However I am prepared to stay in their longer if necessary.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register