Not Scheduled How to find a Davinci Surgeon with experience | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How to find a Davinci Surgeon with experience How to find a Davinci Surgeon with experience

Unread 08-30-2010, 12:52 PM
How to find a Davinci Surgeon with experience

I have done alot of research regarding the davinci surgery. From all my studies, if possible, I would like to get the davinci. I spoke to my regular gyno about this and she stated don't do it because she's hearing some bad things about it. She wants me to have a LAVH. I do not have her reasons yet, but I would like to go to a Davinci Dr. and get their opinion of my situation. She doesn't do Davinci. So, can anyone tell me how to go about finding a Doctor and how much experience should this doctor have in Davinci? I contacted on Doctor in connection with Cooper and he said he did 250. That doesn't sound like alot to me but I don't know. My insurance would cover NJ, PA, and DE. Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-30-2010, 01:20 PM
Re: How to find a Davinci Surgeon with experience

I think there's a directory on their site. Probably sorted by state. I'd try that first.
Unread 08-30-2010, 01:27 PM

Hi!

I just had my surgery on Thursday via the DaVinci assisted. I am so thrilled that I went for the second opinion. I got my information from the DaVinci website and contacted a doctor close to my area. My gut instinct kept telling me the DaVinci would be best for me and I truly believe it was. Turned out that my surgery took longer than usual due to adhesions. I'm fully convinced that I had gone with the LAVH, that I would have ended up with a TAH. So glad I went with my gut instinct.

Do what is right for you!

I have had three other surgeries which were abdominal. I can tell you that I feel so much better physically at this point with this surgery than I did with those. I still get tired easy, but it was the same major surgery on the inside, just not with the external cut.

Best wishes to you on your journey.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-30-2010, 01:51 PM

Hi TamJam,
I'm having a daVinci hyster in Oct. I didn't even know about robotic assisted surgery until I found hystersisters. I went to the daVinci website (googled it)and found several surgeons in my city and made an appointment with one of them ( second opinion appt). She did tell me that in small percentage of cases, they may still have to do an abdominal cut. It's because tests only reveal so much and they won't really know what's going on until they do the surgery. You can also get information on any doctor you pick regarding malpractice, etc. on the internet. I think if you have doubts at all, you should get a second opinion. Good luck!
Unread 08-30-2010, 01:51 PM

I am having the DaVinci procedure September 29. My doctor has done only 25, so 250 sounds like a lot to me! I have some complications regarding scar tissue around my ovary and ureter, and she felt the daVinci was best because it allows the surgeon to see much more than a regular LAVH. I'd be curious to know what your doctor was referring to. Hmmmm. Good luck in your decision.
Unread 08-30-2010, 06:06 PM

You can also try checking with hospitals in your area that offer robotic surgery. They may have recommendations of surgeons.
Unread 08-30-2010, 07:29 PM

if you have a preferred hospital, you can also see if they have the davinci machine... my ob/gyn is the only one who does the davinci's at my hospital of choice, fortunately he'd already been my dr for 8 years, but he's just been trained in the past year... i'm actually not sure how many he'd done before my hyst, but it couldn't have been very many...

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register