Scheduled TLH Am I being too optimistic? | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Am I being too optimistic? Am I being too optimistic?

Unread 08-28-2010, 09:42 AM
Am I being too optimistic?

I'm scheduled for a TLH/BSO late September. My doctor is writing me out for 6 weeks (per my request). I was advised by my union rep to ask for 6 weeks because of the slight chance of my surgery switching to a TAH and that it's easier to return to work than try and get an extension for disability. Anywho... I'm planning on taking the full 6 weeks regardless of the type I end up having, even planning a very quick trip to visit my brother about a month after surgery. Am I crazy to think I'll be feeling like my old self after a month? The only surgery I've ever had was a lap for endo, I guess I'm thinking that's sort of what it'll be like.... but I know that I'll be dealing with a lot more recovery and pain than I had from that. But still.... I have nothing to compare this too. I can't believe how fast my date is approaching.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-28-2010, 11:09 AM
Re: Am I being too optimistic?

I can't speak for you, but from what I know at 7 weeks out, 4 weeks is way too optimistic, but again, please let other people respond. Especially if you may have a TAH. I am on a recovery thread from women who had surgery my week (July 5-11) and I had a Laprascopic Supracervical, but do have a 2" abdominal incision, so it was kind of a hybrid. I did not feel like myself until 6 weeks. I certainly could drive at 2 weeks (with some pain) and at a month was okay, but could not wear anything against my incision and still had nerve pain and some swelling. The ladies on my thread that have had a more complex procedure, especially a TAH, mostly still are having symptoms- some have started back to work, but full recovery isn't for months to a year from what I understand (depending on the person.)

I am not trying to frighten you- you will do great. And recovery time depends on a lot of things. The procedure, your health and weight before the surgery, how much stress you have, whether any complications develop (I had none but the more complex the procedure, sometimes it does happen), how much help you have after so you can pamper yourself instead of taking care of others, etc. From my experience almost everyone overdoes it too soon, at about 2 weeks, because you start feeling better. We all did, then you get symptoms and have to back off of the activity.

6 weeks is reasonable, and if you have the TAH, hopefully you can go back to work by then. Unless you have any complications, it will healing from this major, major procedure, and that takes a lot of time. My biggest problems (universal) were gas and bloating and constipation, which WILL go away if you get off the pain meds as quickly as possible and take stool softeners. Then there can be nerve pain. With a TAH there's just a lot more healing.

I hope I haven't overstepped here. I started out on this forum with a thread saying how scared and depressed I was, and got tremendous suppport. Keep on asking and seeking support, then you can give it back to others. Join in on the thread of women that have had surgery during your week- look for it after you get home. It will help you in so many ways! We are here for you, and I know you will do great. Take that 6 weeks and take it very easy.
The very best healing to you, and Hugs.
Unread 08-28-2010, 02:45 PM

I am scheduled for a TVH mid September and may be suffering from being too optimistic
too! I was planning on starting to work from home after a week. One friend says it not going to be bad cuz her 80 yo mother had one and was fine right away, while other people are telling me not to even think about working for two to six weeks!

I think we are fine being optimistic, but i am not making any non-refundable plans at this point! I think your union rep has given u sound advice for requesting 6 weeks just in case....disability can be a nightmare! Good luck to you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-28-2010, 03:49 PM

I had my LAVH on 8/17 and feel well enough I could go back to work next week. However, I was approved for 6 weeks off so I'm taking 6 weeks off. I don't have any travel plans, but my only concern would be making sure I had somebody to carry bags for me.

Best of luck to you with your surgery.
Unread 08-28-2010, 03:59 PM

I'm scheduled off for 6 weeks as well and my boss has planned for 7 weeks just in case. I know from my Mom's experience, she traveled at like 5 weeks postop but had Dad do all the luggage and she just had her purse. I think each person is different in their recovery, so are you being optimistic about traveling at 4 weeks, I can't say for sure but know my doctor said not to plan any long car trips or travel until he had cleared me at 6 weeks.
Unread 08-28-2010, 05:25 PM

Thanks for all the replies. I'm going to "plan" on being okay... It's a short ride to the airport, a short flight (only 1.5 hours) then a quick visit and relaxing. It's only a couple days, so as hard as it will be, I'll just pack lightly.... normally I bring everything but the kitchen sink for overnight trips.... haha
Unread 08-28-2010, 05:48 PM

I had LAVH/BSO and took a driving trip 1 week post op(DH drove) We were away for 10 days to watch my son's college baseball teams play. This was all done with doctor's do's and dont's with me. I made out fine. I was even up to going back to my part-time job at 3 weeks. I finally returned to both job at 8 weeks.
Unread 08-28-2010, 06:26 PM

I had a TAH 5 weeks ago Thursday and I feel almost normal. I'm back to work teaching, no pain, just times of tiredness and discomfort. My doctor was VERY optimistic. He cleared me for everything after 4 weeks. Apparently, if you have no other medical problems, it can go very smoothly. However, you do have to be ready for the unexpected.
Unread 08-31-2010, 11:48 AM

I think I might be too optimistic too. I'm scheduled for a LAVH on a Thursday and plan to return to work the following Monday. I have a desk job and there are people here to help if any lifting needs to be done. I don't have any time to take off and can't afford the loss of pay to take it unpaid. I also have a trip to Vegas planned 2 weeks post-op. I do plan to make my husband deal with the luggage. My doctor friends have told me I'll be fine. I truly believe that a lot of the recovery process is your attitude about it. Good luck.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register