Hospital Stay - Page 4 | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hospital Stay Hospital Stay

Unread 08-26-2010, 06:43 PM
Re: Hospital Stay

My TAH/BSO was done on Monday. The hospital called me that morning, and I thought, "Oh Lord, whats wrong now?" Turns out Dr P was running early, so she asked if I could get there sooner than scheduled. It all seemed rushed when I got there, which was good, I guess. ...no time to sit and fester. The surgery took 3 hours, and I was in my room around 8ish. The nurse turned off my pain pump sometime Tuesday late afternoon/early evening, then started me on Toradol and Dilaudid. The Toradol was d/c'd late last night, and the Dilaudid was dc'd very early this morning. I wasn't so sure I was ready to go home b/c my pain wasn't being controlled well w/percocet and ibuprofen. But as the day went on, it got better. I got home today around 4pm. I'm exhausted and don't feel all that great, but hopefully now that I'm home, I'll get some sleep.

Sleep well, my new princess friends
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-28-2010, 10:51 PM

I had a TVH with no complications and an approximately 30 hour hospital stay. My catheter was out about 4 hours after I arrived in my room.
My ob/gyn's criteria to go home was:
1) Had to have urinated a certain number of cc's of urine TWICE within a certain number of hours (I don't remember the exact details)
2) Able to eat and keep food down without nausea
3) Pain under control
4) Able to pass gas. Now I took this to literally mean "pass gas" (fart) and was worried. What they actually meant was "bowel sounds" - doc listened to my abdomen with her stethoscope and whatever she heard was sufficient for her to approve my release from the hospital.

True Irony: Everyone always talks about how eager they are to go home from the hospital. I actually enjoyed my hospital stay. The people there know what they're doing (medically). The people at home mostly don't. Compared to my house, the hospital is actually quieter (My parents were visiting to "help" - I grew up in a large family who have no clue how to truly be quiet). The hospital brought me food on a tray and took away the dirty dishes and I didn't have to make any decisions about what I wanted to eat (and this hospital actually had REALLY GOOD FOOD!!!). At home, I had to answer questions about what I was hungry for, tell them where to find it, get out of bed to go to the table to eat, etc...
So yes, I'm in that minority of people who would have happily stayed in the hospital for 3 or 4 days! Especially since I lucked out and actually snagged a private room.
Unread 08-29-2010, 12:09 AM

dobiezoo,

I totally agree with you! I was in *no* hurry to get home. I didn't want to go home until I *KNEW* my pain was under control and managed by pills. And, like you, I had a private, very updated and nice room! (the only trouble with that was my room was on the post L&D floor, ugh). It was ok though - I walked, just not down the hall towards the babies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-29-2010, 02:23 AM

I had a da Vinci supracervical and kept my ovaries. The original plan was for me to have the surgery Friday and go home Saturday so it would be considered outpatient surgery.

I had pain management issues and I also had uncontrollable involuntary trembling of my jaw, shoulders, arms, and hands every time I was awake Friday evening and into Saturday morning and afternoon, which the nurses and the associate doctor to my surgeon did not seem too concerned about (they said they "guessed" it was from the anesthesia) -- it scared me, because I couldn't stop it.

At any rate, there is no way I could've gone home Saturday afternoon. I didn't go home until late Sunday afternoon.

I received my explanation of benefits from my insurance company, though, and they denied the claim for my surgery. I called to see why, and the rep told me it was because my surgeon's office nor the hospital called to "authorize" the additional night I had to stay. The rep told me the surgeon's office would have to appeal it and send in a "retroactive authorization request" or something like that. The total charges, before the managed care discount, are almost $32,000.00, so all I can say is I hope the surgeon's office sends their appeal and gets it paid, because I SURE can't pay it! I'm going to be billed for an additional $400, I think, because my co-payment for outpatient surgery was $100, which I paid the week of my surgery, but since I was technically "admitted", the co-payment jumps up to $500. I'll have to send them $5 a month since I was off work 4 weeks and don't have the $400.

Anyway, I certainly think 23 hours is not long enough for a total abdominal hysterectomy; I can't believe they would even consider sending you home that soon!

I wish you the best with your surgery and recovery.
Unread 08-31-2010, 06:19 AM

I promised to update after my surgery about the hospital stay. Fortunately...I stayed 2 nights. The nurses had given me the wrong information at the office. I had a morphine pump which was absolutely awesome. They took out the catheter the next morning but after 5 hours of trying hard to go they had to put it back in. They removed it again 2 days after surgery. I finally went but ever so slowly. It is still very hard to void and takes 10 - 15 minutes but I'm managing.

I was up walking a tiny bit the second morning. By that night, I could make a block around all the rooms on my floor. It was totally amazing how much easier it was to get out of bed each time I tried. The first time was so hard I thought I would cry! The 2nd and 3rd just kept getting much easier.

I'm home now and this is day 5 days post op andI'm really sore today. I felt great yesterday but today...is going to be a lazy stay near and in the bed kinda day.

THe dr. also put an estrogen patch on me in surgery. Need to research the estrogen and be ready to talk to him friday at my appt. Will discuss options and what I want to try.

Very happy so far with the surgery.
Unread 08-31-2010, 01:20 PM

Thank you everyone that offered such wonderful advice. I already feel way better about leaving the hospital so soon. And I know if I am not ready, I will stay longer. God bless you all, and thank you for your kindness.
Unread 08-31-2010, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilcoop View Post
Thank you everyone that offered such wonderful advice. I already feel way better about leaving the hospital so soon. And I know if I am not ready, I will stay longer. God bless you all, and thank you for your kindness.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register