August 28th Surgery Sisters | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

August 28th Surgery Sisters August 28th Surgery Sisters

Unread 08-24-2002, 08:53 AM
August 28th Surgery Sisters

Hey all you other August 28th surgery girls, are you as nervous as I am? I am scheduled for a LAVH and just trying to deal with all the "normal living" things prior to surgery is stressing me out considerably, not to mention dealing with all the surgical and recovery concerns. I have also been trying to decide about a health care proxy and all those other scary medical "things".

Just wondering how many others out there are turning into basket cases like I am!

Anne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-24-2002, 12:55 PM
Nervous with you!

Hey there!

I am going in for TAH on the 28th and am a little nervouse as well. I am a lot better than I was though. Now I just have a hard time sleeping with all the things I want to get done before hand popping up into my head!

I can't wait for it to this time next week and I can be on the other side of this fiasco! Of course then I have to deal with the 6 weeks of recovery!

We will make it! Hang in there!

Heather
Unread 08-24-2002, 05:32 PM

Anne, be sure to add your surgery date to your profile so we can wish you our hearty best wishes on the appropriate date. You don't want to miss out!!!!
TC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-25-2002, 04:43 AM
If I can do it, so can you!!

Hi there~

I've been there and done that. Nerves galore!! I had my LAVH on Aug. 2. I was a nervous wreck for a week prior!! I broke down in tears twice at the hospital before my surgery. When I met with the anisthesiologist, I told him straight out how scared I was and I wish he could put me to sleep BEFORE I went into the operating room. When my time was up, I went to the bathroom hooked up to an IV, and when I came out, they sat me in a wheel chair. They put a little plastic hat on me, and I started crying again. The nurse started pushing me, and she asked me if I felt anything, and I said no, then all of a sudden it hit me, and I remember being pushed in front of the operating room doors, and the next thing I remember is being in my hospital room!! WOW! I don't remember ANYTHING!! WONDERFUL!! I stayed an extra day at the hospital - my surgery was a Friday a.m., and I was released Sunday a.m. My 3 lovely kids and hubby came to visit me, and I knew I wasn't up to going home the day after my surgery. I had plenty of self administering drugs to keep me sleepy and painfree. My first couple of days home were "sleepy" ones. I stayed in bed, took lots of pain medicine, and only got up to go to the bathroom. I finally started getting out of bed and walking around. I was able to go to work on Aug. 12 as a crossing guard!! But that was only for 30 minutes, so I was able to go home and rest the rest of the day until I had to go back after school for another 20 minutes. I didn't return to my other job until this past week, where I kept it at a minimum - 2 days. I still get tired, and sometimes I get little tweaks of pain, but all in all, it was wonderful. I was ready for 4-6 weeks of recovery, but it didn't take that long. I'm still not 100%, but I know my limit, and I don't push myself. After you've been home, lay down as OFTEN as you can. Revisit those old soap operas, those do it yourself shows. I started rug hooking! Couldn't read, as it put me to sleep! Ha! I thing the worst part of this is WAITING for it!! I was so fearful I wouldn't wake up!! It's over with now, and it was faster and easier than I ever imagined. I kept one of my tubes/ovaries. (the other was removed years ago) I told my doctor if it was healthy, to leave it.........
Good luck to you, you'll do fine!

Blessings,

Ladybug
Unread 08-25-2002, 06:40 AM

I was a wreck nearly two weeks ago when I scheduled the surgery for Aug 28. I had exactly two weeks to prepare myself mentally. (they would have even let me schedule it the following week, but I said, no way, can't possibly do that!)

Then I found this website and I've been better. I still get a little teary and I'm wondering how I am going to make it through the last 24 hours and how I'll be right before the surgery. I keep thinking I'm going to freak out at the hospital if they don't give me a sedative when I get there.

Yes, its a very scary thing. I don't think anyone goes into this not scared. I keep trying to think beyond next week and picture myself sitting in my backyard with all the time in the world to watch my hummers. All of the sudden time is moving very slowly!

I thought it rather funny that everyone was cleaning - but then I started doing that too! We must have the cleanest houses around!

I'm going to have my hair done the night before my surgery - hopefully a low maintenance cut. I hope that will relax me, but I hope no ones eating anything in the salon either! It will be dinner time!

I went to Bed Bath and Beyond and bought myself a little bath scrubby on a stick to use when I'm recovering.

Hang tough. You are not alone! One week from now hopefully the worst will be over.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register