my story continues | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

my story continues my story continues

Unread 04-20-2001, 02:56 PM
my story continues

Well, we are all ready for the surgery on Wed. Just came back form the hospital - final blood work. I noticed all the people at the hospital are very nice and polite and caring. I am so happy about it! I hope the nurses will be kind too.
My mom is nervous, but she is trying to hide it. I don't think she wants to know all the details because they make her more nervous. But the doctors need to tell you things and all the forms must be signed. What can I do.... I noticed I am very different, I want to know ALL. If I could be in the OR I would gladly watch the whole thing being done. And I am not saying that because it's not me going under the knife. If it were me I would feel the same.
So now all we do is wait until the 25th. I do hope I'll be able to sleep the night before. I hope more, my mom will sleep. One good thing- they should give her something to calm the nerves right the way (right?). I'm happy about that.
Wish us luck ! Please pray for all to be fine!
Thank you soooooo much for all the help and support!!!! You are great!
And I'll be thinking about those who share our date the 25th! best of luck to you and warm hugs!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-20-2001, 03:26 PM
my story continues

Dear MElizabeth,

Maybe your doc can prescribe something for your mom to help her sleep the last coupla nites pre-op.

As for the calming meds on surgery day, I had to wait til they were done talking to me & having me sign (more) stuff. I brought a tabloid magazine with me to flip thru while I waited (nothing that required any real thinking), and the time did seem to go by very fast.

Sending cyberhugs
Unread 04-20-2001, 06:44 PM
my story continues

HI - I am new to message boards and just found and signed up for hyster sisters. My surgery was scheduled for the 25th also, however, when I visited my doctor yesterday, he told me they had an opening the OR for Monday the 23rd. So, I am having my hysterectomy on Monday. How are your nerves holding up? I just found out last Tuesday that I needed to have the surgery, and was very upset, depressed and scared for about 5 days solid. About all I did was cry. Anyway, I now feel much better emotionally and am just ready to get it over with. However, now I am a little concerned about PAIN!!! I've never had surgery (except for bunions). I am having mine because I have fibroids (which do not bother me), but in a routine sonogram they found that my left ovary was enlarged. The dr. had me get a CA-125 blood test (to check for ovarian cancer). He said the normal reading is no higher than 35 and mine came back 63. So I have had some real fear about having cancer (he said that it is still very possible that it is not cancer - but we aren't taking any chances.) Right now I'm just focusing on getting through the surgery.

Anyway, I wanted to write because our surgeries are so close together, and hope you will write back, so we can correspond. GOOD LUCK TO YOU!!

Jill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-20-2001, 11:28 PM
my story continues

MElizabeth: hang in there. Your mother is almost there. The wait is almost over. I'm like you, the more I know the calmer I get. I hate the unknown.

I agree with Twyla, see if a mild sedative can be prescribed to help your mother sleep.

Jill: Welcome to Hyster Sister it is a great place: you'll find great information and lots and lots of support.

Your wait is almost over. You'll see this phrase often here, and it's true: the waiting is the worst part.

Best of luck.
Unread 04-20-2001, 11:44 PM
positive attitudes

Hello, ladies...
So glad you found us and each other!

I can tell you that at 8 weeks post op, I have suddenly started to feel better than I had even hoped!

I like your positive attitudes toward the surgery and recovery...that is very important! I worried about the pain, too, because I have been very lucky - no other major surgeries or broken bones! I didn't know what to compare recovery from this type of surgery to. Two things I can share: the pain after surgery was taken care of by the medications - just be sure you communicate clearly with your nurses; and recovery, both right after I got home from the hospital and as the days and weeks went by, was easier than I had anticipated. I know it doesn't turn out that way 100% of the time but it often does.

Keep reading, posting and talking everything over with our doctor!

My best to you...
Unread 04-21-2001, 08:22 AM
my story continues

Hello All and Jill,
Thanks for your thoughts it helps a great deal.
I wanted to say to you Jill that my mom's CA-125 came back high just like yours (in the 6o's) The doctor said it means nothing one way or another. I searched for some more info on the net and it seems it can be high naturally for many reasons. What's important is to compare the levels before and after surgery. So do not worry too much.
I wish you the best on Monday. We found out about my mom about two weeks ago so it's been crazy for us as well. I am not so much nervous as I am worried. This thing is constantly on my mind (first thing at night and when I wake up). I can see my mom is stressed, but glad right now she can be home until the day comes, and all the tests and visits and over.
Keep us updated. Sending you the biggest hug!!!!
Unread 04-21-2001, 08:46 AM
Bladder problems?

I am having TVH on April 24. My only concern is having bladder problems afterward. My M-I-L has frequent bladder infections. I have endo and I am totally comfortable with the idea of not having a uterus and glad that I will keep my ovaries. Since I am 34 and have 3 wonderful children, I am looking forward to having a birth control free sex life and no more pain during my periods not to mention the actual period.

Refer me to any postings that I may have missed or any web sites.

Thanks for this extremely helpful forum.

Joy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register