Thrush anyone? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Thrush anyone? Thrush anyone?

Unread 01-16-2011, 02:26 PM
Thrush anyone?

Hi lovely ladies!
I am 5 days out from my TAVH/BSO. They had a complication while trying to put breathing tube in, hit my throat and there was blood everywhere. As a result my throat is so sore and swollen, it hurts to swallow and is causing pain in my ear as well. Well yesterday, to make things worse I started noticing that when I drank anything my tongue and roof of mouth was burning/hurting. Looked in mirror.....now I have thrush in my mouth....anyone else experience this from the anthesia? When I had my exploratory laparscopy in Nov, the same thing happened after surgery. It is such a pain.....I still had some of the awful tasting medicine you take for it....have done 5 doses of it so far, still not feeling much better yet!!

HUGS To ALL

~Jen~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-16-2011, 04:58 PM
Re: Thrush anyone?

Oops...meant LAVH/BSO....lol
Unread 01-19-2011, 07:16 PM

The morning after I came home from the hospital, I noticed that I had what appeared to be thrush in my mouth and on my tongue. I called the doctor that was on call since it was on a Saturday. After discussing it with him, he agreed that it was thrush. He prescribed a 4 week course of an anti fungal mouth rinse that I used 4 times a day. It seems to be gone, finally. The doctor said it probably occurred because I was on so many antibiotics. I was on them before surgery and they pumped them in me during surgery. Some people do just fine, but I think my immune system was weak. It is so funny because my doctor had trouble getting the tube down my throat to put me to sleep and ended up chipping my front tooth. At least she is going to pay to have it fixed when I feel up to going to the dentist. Hopefully things will get better for the both of us. Take care.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-19-2011, 08:29 PM

OMG...I had my gallbladder taken out in August and I had the same thing, they chipped my front tooth. The hospital paid to have it fixed also!
Oh, did not think of the antibiotics they give you during and after surgery, maybe that is what caused the thrush. It is just odd, I had the surgery in Aug and did not get thrush, but got a chipped tooth. Had an exploratory laparscopy in Nov and got thrush and then in Jan had my LAVH/BSO and got thrush and this time they had trouble getting the tube down my throat, cut my throat up pretty bad, could barely eat/drink for like 6 days after it hurt so bad!
In my opinion I think they should be more careful while you are under antithesia, makes you wonder how they treat you when you are under, huh?
Thanks for your reply.
Take Care,
Jen
Unread 01-20-2011, 11:48 AM

I just want to add that some people who are diabetic or pre diabetic are at higher risk for getting thrush. Maybe you are not either one of those, but thrush feeds on sugar from what I was told. Also, I was told that if I ever have surgery again I should tell the next anesthesiologist about there being a problem getting the tube down my throat. Maybe they can do something different if they know this in advance to avoid it happening again. I know one thing for sure, I do not want anymore surgery. Just way to many complications for me. I try to stay positive, but sometimes it is hard when it has been one thing right after another. It surely has to get better. Good luck with your recovery.
Unread 02-02-2011, 04:57 AM

I got thrush about five days after surgery. My throat was really sore and rashy looking initially with little bumps on the roof of my mouth, and I noticed a different taste in my mouth. I had recently changed antibiotics, so I was worried that it might be an allergic reaction to the new meds. I stopped taking the antibiotics until I saw the doctor because of the reaction.

By the next day, the spots had turned into what looked like white cancer sores, and I had a white coating on my tongue.

When I saw the doctor, he said it was thrush and put me on Diflucan pills (150) one per day for three days. He originally wanted to put me on the Nystatin rinse, but I have a really hard time with liquid medicines. I usually gag, and I thought with the surgery stitches, that wouldn't be too pleasant! So I asked for a pill.

By the next day, my tongue was only about half white. The spots were less painfull, and so was my throat. I noticed that I started coughing, as if trying to clear the spots in the back of my throat. This is annoying and painful, but tolerable. I also was headachy, a little sick to my stomach, and have an overall "yucky" sick feel. I have read that the yeast die-off leave a toxin in your system that can make you feel this way.
Unread 02-02-2011, 12:48 PM

When I was working in the hospital, we had patients rinse their mouth with a 50/50 mix of mouthwash & peroxide to kill or prevent thrush. Antibiotics & a lot of breathing treatments cause it.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register