Jan. 12 is fast approaching.... have cold feet!!!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Jan. 12 is fast approaching.... have cold feet!!!! Jan. 12 is fast approaching.... have cold feet!!!!

Unread 12-19-2003, 03:55 PM
Jan. 12 is fast approaching.... have cold feet!!!!

Have just been on a website that had very good information about fibroids but that didn't have much good to say about hysterectomy. Have a huge fibroid (17cm) that is for the most part asymptomatic and have lived with it for six years. I think truthfully, that I am going through with the operation now for psychological reasons; I'm tired of looking like I am nine months pregnant. Is this good enough reason to put your body through this op.? All the Dr's. I have consulted have recommended a hyst. but I think its because they have all been astounded by its size and haven't necessarily considered that my life is actually okay despite the size of this thing. I know a lot of people would say that with a growth of this size its got to go but the truth is I've always been a "fluffy" sort of gal, have had the fibroid in my body for six years with no ill effect and don't think that removing it will alter my outward appearance to any great degree. Any opinions will be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-19-2003, 04:15 PM
Hello

Margo.

That is a tough one. I mean the only person who can decide to actually have surgery is you. I personally have never looked back on my surgery. I am well over 2 years post. I mean your fibroid must have caused you some concern whether it was just your stomach expanding or you could feel it, otherwise you would not have gone to the Dr's.

I hope you make the right decision for you.

Katie
Unread 12-19-2003, 04:38 PM

Margo,

I agree with Katie, only you can make this decision and make it for the right reasons. I know my fibroid was much much smaller than yours and I feel so much better for getting it out, but I was having a lot of symptoms.

You are in my prayers as you decide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-20-2003, 08:23 AM
Jan 12 is fast approaching

Margo
I have had many of the same thoughts as you, have uterus the size of football(16 or 17 week preg.) multiple fibroids. this has been causing back pain, bladder pressure and bowel pressure, so it's off to the castle I go on Jan 29. Yes it's mainly for life quality not life threatening reason , but I'm worth it.

reading all the problems that other ladies are having may make your (and my) reasons seam small but quality of life is important too.
hope this helps psycologically.

janette
Unread 12-20-2003, 10:09 AM
I've struggled, too!

I've agonized this week in making a choice between a second myomectomy and a hysterectomy for fibroids - the biggest of which is roughly half the size of yours. But, I'm not without symptoms, and its grown back to that size in only three years since the first myomectomy so my doctor thought it was time it was voted off the island - by myomectomy or hysterectomy. I realized that hysterectomy was probably the smarter choice, but in the end he told me he really didn't have a problem with me going the myomectomy route one more time. Its a known quantity and since he really wanted to take my ovaries because of a sister with ovarian cancer (I wasn't ready to FEEL different), I decided to go the myomectomy route. And, I'm scheduled for the 12th of January as well. I must say I've struggled much more with this decision than I ever did before. Last time I was totally miserable and I didn't feel like I had any choice - this time I've not let it get to the misery point. It'd probably be much smarter to go with a hysterectomy, but its just too hard and if my doctor realized I'm not ready for that, then I'm not going to torture myself into making a decision I might not be happy with later. I'm so thankful I have a compassionate doctor who looks at the big picture AND my situation. .
Unread 12-20-2003, 11:41 AM

Margo2004,

Cold feet are part of the pre-castle hassle...I'm on Jan. 14th, and already feeling a bit anxious myself.

You are the only person who can decide what will work best for your life over the long run. Don't let some web site/person who doesn't live in your body sway you. We all make our decisions for our own reasons, and we're the only one who needs to be happy with it. Do what is best for you!
Unread 12-20-2003, 11:42 AM

I think that if you have a choice it's important that you be comfortable with your choice. If you aren't really sure, then don't have the surgery. Ask your doctor(s) what the risks of not having the surgery are. Unless you hear something that convinces you, just hang on. Some day you may start to have symptoms and you will want the surgery. Or maybe not, who knows. If your situation is not life threatening AND you don't feel it's right for you, postpone or cancel your surgery. You can always decide to have it some other time. If you go ahead your decision is irrevocable.

Just my opinion, of course.
Unread 12-20-2003, 10:27 PM

Thank you to all you nice ladies that took the time to give me advice. A little while ago I read a post from a HysterSister who went in for her surgery under similar circumstances to my own; thought that she didn't necessarily need it (I said above that my fibroid is asymptomatic but truth is that I've lived with it for so long I'm not even sure what normal feels like so maybe it is causing me problems). Her post-op experience was such that she increased her level of energy, got rid or her back problems and so on. If I have this kind of outcome then I guess I will be glad I did it. What is really worrying me about this operation is the possibility of complications more than anything especially in view of the fact that the reason for doing the operation in the first place is to improve quality of life. If you end up with some other kind of chronic problem then what really is the point of going through with it? Oh well, c'est la vie. Feeling more optimistic today though, got all my Christmas baking finished today and gifts all wrapped. The creatures-in-law arrive on Tuesday.

Thanks again to all who responded. Best wishes to all of you for a happy holiday season.

Cheers,
Margo in Mississauga
Unread 12-21-2003, 06:00 AM

Hi margo,
I too have large fibroids, and look like i am pregnant. I have a small build,and weigh 120lbs,when the bloating starts ..only track pants fit. i also have painful ovarian cysts, heavy bleeding, long periods, that come every 2 weeks.
But on the days that i do feel good , i think maybe i am making too much of my symptoms, and i should just tough it out . i was told a year ago to have hyst. and just could not make the decision, but after ending up at the emerg in the summer , the doctor told me i would be into this for at least the next 5-10 years, at that point i realized that i could not put up with it . My doctor is great...she gave me all the info i needed and told me, i will do whatever you want me to do! I am scared/nervous / and excited.
But , I am going to have a positive outlook, and that is the most important part of recovery....( so i have been told )

wishing you the best of luck with your decision,
and have a great christmas and new year

yvonne

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register