Should ovaries be removed during hysto or not? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Should ovaries be removed during hysto or not? Should ovaries be removed during hysto or not?

Unread 05-27-2008, 05:52 PM
Should ovaries be removed during hysto or not?

Had my preop appointment today another uncomfortable biopsy and blood work. I am scheduled for surgery 5/29/08 at 1:30 pm. Due to the severity of my symptoms I have had only 3 days of preperation for surgery. Things are happening so fast.... The biopsy has started a heavy flow of bleeding again, complete with severe cramping along with the normal pain of fullness and lower abdominal discomfort. I called my OB/GYN to report this and he said that this is a normal occurence for me and suggested that I take megace that was prescribed earlier in my course of treatment to again stop the bleeding.
I am having a laproscopic Supra cervical hysterectomy and bladder cystosopy. I was relieved to hear that i would not have to loose my cervix since I have never had an abnormal pap smear. The problem is that I have to choose whether or not I want my ovaries removed also, that would throw me into surgical menopause or leave them if healthy and take the chance of ovarian cancer not being diagnosed until after its too late. It scares me that there is no screening test for this type of cancer and equally disconcerning is surgical menopause.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-27-2008, 06:21 PM

While I didn't have the same severity of symptoms as you are experiencing, I have had problems my entire life - ever since puberty. I was given the same choice, leave an ovary or take it all. Since I have a high family history of ovarian cancer, I had them take it all - including the cervix. My reasoning was exactly what you said at the end of your post - there is no screening exam or test for ovarian cancer. I think I'd rather have the menopause than have to worry the rest of my life about a cancer that I can't even tell I have.

The irony to this is when they examined my ovaries (post surgical) they found a Brenner's tumor inside of the right one. My doctor told me that those kinds of tumors usually eventually become cancerous. I am quite relieved I had them take them both. I mean, there was a 50/50 chance the doctor could have chosen the right one to leave in if I had wanted to do that!

For you, I think you should take your personal and family history into consideration and really decide what worries you more - cancer or menopause. Three days is not a lot of time to think, but hopefully you'll be able to come to a decision that will be the best thing for you.

I wish you the best of luck and an easy surgery and recovery!
Unread 05-27-2008, 06:58 PM

does ovarian cancer run in your family? how old are you?
i chose to keep my healthy ovaries and avoid surgical menopause and hormone replacement therapy. your ovaries continue to supply you with hormones even after menopause and hrt is not equal to your own hormones. it can be hard to find the right balance and surgical menopause isnt always easy.
if ovarian cancer runs in your family, try to do as much research as possible and make the most informed decision that you can. only you can decide what is best for you.
good luck with whatever decision you choose and i wish you a speedy recovery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-28-2008, 07:00 AM

I had my remaining ovary taken. (Lost the other 10 years ago)

They have given me so many problems over the years, I wanted it gone!
Unread 05-28-2008, 08:37 AM

Two drs told me my ovaries should go. I had uterine cancer, early stage. I am 51, so that played a part too. I was afraid of surgical menopause as I had not had any symptoms up to that point. I haven't had any problemsand I had my TAH/BSO five weeks ago today! Very, very mild symptoms.

A nurse at the hospital who did my blood work 2 days prior to surgery talked to me about the ovaries being taken. She said ovarian cancer is a silent killer. There are no tests, zilch. I don't regret them being taken.
Unread 05-28-2008, 02:28 PM

sickofworry - just in case I don't make it back to the site before you go in for your surgery tomorrow, I want you to know that you are in my thoughts and prayers.

While I know there is a lot of good advice here, we both know that you have to make your own decision about how to handle the ovary dilemma. I know it's a really difficult decision - especially on such short notice as there isn't much time to think, but whatever you decide I'm sure will be the right thing for you. One thing I don't think you touched on is, what does your doctor think about keeping as opposed to taking the ovaries? Maybe you can take his/her recommendation into consideration to help you decide?

Please stop by the site after your surgery when you feel up to it and give us an update on how you're doing.

Good luck!
Unread 05-28-2008, 02:37 PM

I am a mess myself with the decision to remove my ovaries or not. There is no cancer in my family, I am still menstruating every 28-29 days, have horrible pms that has followed me for years and years. I am 51 and have everyone "talking at me" about why I should keep them except my GP and my Gyn.

Please ladies help me out I am in tears right now and don't know what to do.
Unread 05-28-2008, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaia grace
I am a mess myself with the decision to remove my ovaries or not. There is no cancer in my family, I am still menstruating every 28-29 days, have horrible pms that has followed me for years and years. I am 51 and have everyone "talking at me" about why I should keep them except my GP and my Gyn.

Please ladies help me out I am in tears right now and don't know what to do.
I'm so sorry you are in tears! I do understand. Neither of your drs have given an opinion on what to do? I would ask them for their advice. It really is up to you and if your family history is good as far as cancer then you may be ok with keeping them. Wonder if the PMS stays if you keep them? That may be something to take into consideration. When is your surgery?
Unread 05-28-2008, 07:10 PM

Hi Sickofworry,

I was 46 when I had my LSH, the same surgery type you are having and I am still very pleased with the results.

I decided to keep my ovaries since ovarian cancer does not run in my family. In pre-op, my Dr. also told me that ovarian cancer occurs in 5% or less of women..so that was good odds for me. I was not prepared to remove my healthy ovaries to prevent something that might never happen. I also read that the ovaries secrete important hormones that help with the bones, skin and hair, to name a few. And newer studies are showing that the ovaries secrete their important hormones well into menopause and the hormones are *free*.

Today...four years later..my ovaries are still working great. In the end..just do what is *best* for you.

~Sending best wishes

Mary
Unread 05-28-2008, 07:19 PM

I'm sorry you are dealing with this. I am having a TAH w/BSO on 6/13 and I actually want to keep one of my ovaries but my doc says no. I have severe endo and PCOS. He told me if I kept the "healthiest" ovary, he would more than likely be back in there within a year to remove it. I'm only 33. I wish I had more advice for you, all I can offer is (((HUGS FRIEND))).

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register