4 weeks post op LAVH - dr pushing me to have sex!? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

4 weeks post op LAVH - dr pushing me to have sex!? 4 weeks post op LAVH - dr pushing me to have sex!?

Unread 06-05-2010, 08:41 PM
4 weeks post op LAVH - dr pushing me to have sex!?

OK....haven't seen this one posted.

Had follow up yesterday because severe pains in my right side and vaginal pain (raw feeling). Instead of help, I felt like I was almost made fun of.

My dr was upset that I had not been rubbing my incisions several times a day. (I didn't know I was supposed to.) He rubbed on them - I told him it hurt....and he said it wouldnt if I had been rubbing them like I was supposed to.

He also ordered a sonogram on my gallbladder - which was negative.

So....he said that just like I should be rubbing the outside of my incisions that I should be rubbing the inside of the incisions....and how do you rub the inside?? Sex. I almost fell off the table. I had gone to his office because I was four weeks out and still hurt vaginally - and the answer was to have sex!?

Maybe I am being ridicilous....but everything I have read said no sex for 6 - 8 weeks. Is it different for LAVH?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-05-2010, 08:47 PM
Re: 4 weeks post op LAVH - dr pushing me to have sex!?

That doesn't sound right to me at all. When I asked my Dr. about sex yesterday he looked at me like he wanted to smack me and then kick me in my kneecap. He said MAYBE after my 5 week check-up if I'm lucky. I would listen to your body, and do what you feel is right. I hope you find the answers you need. hugs!
Unread 06-05-2010, 09:03 PM

i had the same opp on may 17 th and went to 3 week check on friday june 4 and my doc says no sex and not to do much of any thing else and i have vanginal pain and i was told that iam healing slow and i have to wait for four more weeks to see him and then we would talk about things but no way you should have sex this soon noway the vangial pain is nothing to worrie about but it diffently means no sex . hang in there when u get that pain lay down and put a pillow under your knees it helps me . hope you fell better soon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-05-2010, 09:13 PM

Wow, sometimes some doctors I feel have absolutely horrible bedside manners and it seems like you may have one(my opinion). I`m sorry you are having a bad time but I am noy a doctor, but common sense to me would be to maybe put specific healing cream or gel on the wounds. If you are raw and sore already, would sex not make it worse, and then even lead to an infection? Personal opinion would be to take it easy for sure.
Unread 06-05-2010, 09:58 PM

Even before surgery, when I was supposed to have LAVH, my doc was adamant about NOTHING in the vagina for 6 full weeks.

Also, the wound care sheet my surgical center gave me said no matter how tempting, not to put any creams on the incision. I believe it's talking only about during the actual healing, so if you have any raw or scabbed spots, I wouldn't mess with it.
Unread 06-05-2010, 10:03 PM

Well, there you go. If your doctor said no creams then that is it for sure. I had abdominal, not vaginal, so i would have been given different instructions. Best of luck for sure.
Unread 06-06-2010, 09:12 PM

Wow, that just doesn't sound right. My doctor was very strict "nothing inside the vagina for 6 weeks". And that depended on if I was healed properly. This also included no baths because the bath water could introduce infection in the vagina.

I'm sorry your doctor made you feel that way.

You listen to your body if you are still hurting then wait and give yourself time to heal.
Unread 06-06-2010, 09:36 PM

No. It is not different for LAVH. You should not be having sex until 6 weeks post op and that is after your doctor has examined you internally to make sure you've healed sufficiently.
Unread 06-06-2010, 10:06 PM

I am so sorry you have an idiot for a doctor. I had not heard of rubbing the incisions, but I had a complete abdominal. I would say, if you can't get your doctor to listen to you, that maybe you need to search out another doctor. No one should be treated like that. This is your body, and you have every right to have your doctor listen to your concerns.

Gentle Princess Hugs!!!
Jennifer
Unread 06-06-2010, 10:12 PM

This Dr is not the norm. You know if its too early for sex. What if you didn't have a partner, then what would he say? He sound inappropriate. His advice makes no sense. Hope you feel better soon.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register