1 week post-op: crazy side effects, + pottying issues!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

1 week post-op: crazy side effects, + pottying issues!! 1 week post-op: crazy side effects, + pottying issues!!

Unread 07-06-2012, 11:23 PM
1 week post-op: crazy side effects, + pottying issues!!

Well I am a week post op today. I had a DaVinci robotic with 3 abdominal incisions, everything removed except the ovaries. Problem: I have had so many side effects its ridiculous! A) I woke up during anesthesia, before they had administered any pain meds. I'm pretty sure the whole hospital heard me scream. B) I had a reaction to something and swelled up like the Michelin Man. Went back to hospital, no one could figure out what it was. I looked like I had a baseball packed in each cheek. C)My whole stomach is covered in a rash around the incisions. Dr checked it out, said I was having an allergy to the surgical glue. I'm about to lose my mind here!! On top of it all, every time I empty my bladder or push to try to have a BM, it HURTS! I'm afraid I'm doing damage to the repaired pelvic floor (or whatever it is) and I'm going to rip it open or something... can this happen?? Any feedback appreciated! I am only 24 and was not expecting this... I have a lot to learn!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-07-2012, 01:28 AM
Re: 1 week post-op: crazy side effects, + pottying issues!!

Hi Stevie,
I had the same surgery - di Vinci and kept my ovaries. I haven't had as many dramatic side effects as you have had (I am at three weeks post-op); but I did have an allergic reaction to the "orange soap" they used to clean my stomach and abdomen. I had a horrible red rash a few days after and thought it was an infection so I called the dr. Office and got the on-call dr. for my normal dr. She was able to identify exactly what it was and have me get some Benadryl cream for the effected area. I have been having bowel pain and gas pain - even hemmoroids because the pain meds cause constipation. My dr. Suggested Miralax or Milk of Magnesia for a while and I have been taking the prescription stool softener that they gave me to take home. I totally understand your fear as it IS PAINFUL! Maybe try the laxative or stool softeners before getting too scared but DO get into a dr. Call the office and see if they have a # for emergencies. Hugs girlie - you aren't alone.
Unread 07-07-2012, 01:45 AM

Hi Stevie,

Hang in there I'm on day 4 of a similar surgery, di Vinci but they removed my ovaries and a whole lot of of endo (this is my number 12!). The Dr. recommended stool softener and gasex which really helped with the gas pain. I also have been drinking alot of water, just keep a jug by me so I remember. One thing I found that really helped with the swelling is a heating pad. I hope these suggestions help you too, it well get better soon. I know it's hard this one was a rough one on me too, plus now I'm getting lovely private summers! Hugs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-07-2012, 08:20 AM

Steve, do not push to have a BM!!! Please do not push!!!!! And careful with the stimulant laxatives. I had the best luck with Miralax. It is not a stimulant laxative so you don't have diarrhea or burning stools. With the Miralax, I was able to just sit on the toilet and it would just ease out. It was heaven!!! And, immediately after surgery, I went 10 days with no bowel movement. I was miserable. But don't push!!! Just relax. Relax. And it will happen.
Unread 07-07-2012, 08:40 AM

While I did not have the same procedure, I had TLH, the first week was a horror story of it's own. Im 1 week and 1 day post op today and just yesterday had my first very small BM. I agree about Miralax. But I will tell you it seems like I've turned a corner with my recovery, as of yesterday. Hang in there, you will have good days and bad but I'm feeling quite better today, and you find the end of your first week to be your break-through point as well!
Unread 07-07-2012, 01:33 PM

Thanks for the great advice everyone!! I'm getting my husband to pick me up some miralax and a heating pad NOW! I actually didn't have much trouble with BMs coming back- I had the first 3 days post op and they're not too terrible since I take pro-biotics. Its just the least bit of pushing that hurts! This morning, emptying my bladder nearly made me cry! I should have mentioned beforehand that they had issues with my catheter in the hospital and kept digging it around in there trying to make the pee flow--- OUCH!! No surprise, my labs in the hospital 2 days later showed a UTI. I wonder if this is causing some of the pain? At this point, even standing feels like there is a knife up in there somewhere. I've been on antibiotics since right after surgery, so I'd hoped it would be gone by now!!
Unread 07-07-2012, 01:42 PM

Oooohhh, catheter issue... yes, that's definitely contributing to the pain! The Miralax will help with BM's so that you don't have to strain at all. That stuff saved my life! I have a good friend who is a GYN surgical nurse and she said it is the ONLY thing they use for their patients. I think it should be called "miraclelax" But remember... don't push!!!!!! Even a little
Unread 07-07-2012, 02:54 PM

Yeah, whatever they did in there when they were stabbing me to death with that catheter did NOT help me out any!! After a day of having it in and no urine flow, and them trying to reposition it a thousand times, I told them to take it out or I was going to rip it out! So they did, and I immediately went to the toilet and filled up 3 of those measuring cup things! Still hurts
Unread 07-07-2012, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie86 View Post
Yeah, whatever they did in there when they were stabbing me to death with that catheter did NOT help me out any!! After a day of having it in and no urine flow, and them trying to reposition it a thousand times, I told them to take it out or I was going to rip it out! So they did, and I immediately went to the toilet and filled up 3 of those measuring cup things! Still hurts
Owwww Stevie, that makes me hurt just thinking about it! Bladder will have to heal like everything else. But as long as you can go, I would think the pain should lessen as you heal. It's hard not to worry though when it's something we've never experienced before. I have never spent so much time obsessing over bowel movements as I did the first 3 weeks after my surgery I was convinced they had damaged my rectal muscles!! I just knew it! Turns out it was excessive swelling (my surgery took 4 hours instead of the expected 1 1/2 hours) and when it finally went down, all was well, just like the doctor promised. That's when I decided, ok, maybe she DOES know what she's talking about
Unread 07-07-2012, 03:28 PM

I had a complete hysterectomy 6 days ago and did not have a bowel movement till the 5th day. The Colace stool softeners were not working... I had my husband buy me good old fashioned prune juice..... The taste is horrible but it works My stomach feels better now .

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register