3 weeks post hysterectomy - whats ok/whats not | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

3 weeks post hysterectomy - whats ok/whats not 3 weeks post hysterectomy - whats ok/whats not

Unread 10-29-2015, 04:32 AM
3 weeks post hysterectomy - whats ok/whats not

Hi, Im 3 weeks after total hysterectomy-ovaries left intact
Im feeling very low today-and not sure what is ok to do and not
Was pretty fit before-ran twice a week 3-4 miles. Guess recovery slowed a little as haematoma second week and horrible antibiotics-but it was caught before infected
I manage to walk about a mile to shop and carry small shopping bag-not heavy
Pottering in house-not hoovering!!
Occasional sharp stabbing pains, last night wasn't a good night-but prior to that had slept ok ish
Just taking NSAIDS at night, nothing else
I guess (and likely no definite answer) what is "expected " to be OK?
I feel that I don't know if I don't try?!
very tearful today, everyone at work and feel so lonely-that's why trying to get out for a walk-wondered about getting a bus and having a brew/potter in town -but don't know if that's too much either
Feel so horrible, and scruffy-cant get any clothes over tummy, in big knickers and scruffy sweat pants
Sorry for rant, just feel very alone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-29-2015, 05:35 AM
Re: 3 weeks post hysterectomy - whats ok/whats not

Hi Kylie,
Sorry that you're feeling low. I think it's just a stage we all go thru during recovery. You're starting to feel stronger and fitter, but realising your limitations.
I don't know your age, but maybe your ovaries haven't started functioning properly yet, which may account for the emotional feelings?
I think it's normal to get random pains, some of your internal stitches will be dissolving and will continue to do so for a while. I was advised to take anti-inflammatories for a few weeks to help with healing and swelling.
I think hopping on a bus and being around people is a good idea - being at home feeling lonely just gets depressing after a while. You don't have to do anything like carrying shopping bags, just stroll along without tiring yourself out.
You can't fast-track your recovery - you've had major surgery and healing just takes time. If you overdo things physically now, the healing will take longer.
You WILL get better and before you know it you'll be out running again and feeling like you did before your surgery.
This is a great site for questions, or just reassurance that you're not alone.
Unread 10-29-2015, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYLIE46 View Post
...I manage to walk about a mile to shop and carry small shopping bag-not heavy...
For me, the height of my third week was being able to walk to the supermarket about a mile away and buy more yogurt. I did the math beforehand - 3 750g tubs -> 2.25 kg -> 4.95 lbs < 10 lbs -> let's go! :-)

I continued to potter around the house and let the dust bunnies accumulate.

Mostly I continued doing what I'd been doing in the first two weeks - lots of walks, reading, sewing - except that the first two weeks I tried to stay on flat ground, which meant I was stuck in my own neighbourhood. The third week I started practicing walking hills again, so I could get to the supermarket, to a large park near my home that has walking trails, to the walking trail that runs along the harbour, etc.

For me, the geographic expansion made all the difference. For you, it sounds as if hopping the bus into town will make that difference. :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-29-2015, 06:57 AM

i am 3 weeks after it also. Get depressed when all at work. I did too much this weekend and. Stomach was hurting. I am taking it easier and telling myself the more I rest the faster I will recover. Patience is needed and also hard for me. It will get better I am telling myself.
  Quote:
Was pretty fit before-ran twice a week 3-4 miles. Guess recovery slowed a little as haematoma second week and horrible antibiotics-but it was caught before infected
Occasional sharp stabbing pains, last night wasn't a good night-but prior to that had slept ok ish
very tearful today, everyone at work and feel so lonely-that's why trying to get out for a walk-wondered about getting a bus and having a brew/potter in town -but don't know if that's too much either
Feel so horrible, and scruffy-cant get any clothes over tummy, in big knickers and scruffy sweat pants
Unread 10-29-2015, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Hello. I will be 3 weeks PO tomorrow. I feel your frustration. I too am usually quite active. I am feeling frumpy and lazy. I am living in stretchy tights and oversized sweaters. I too have only done a bit of shopping and trips to take my son to school and such but that is it. I have decided effective today to go for a decent walk daily hoping to get my heart rate up a bit. I am also watching my food intake because I eat when I am bored! Last night I tried a Restorative Yoga class which felt fine but I really do not enjoy that style of yoga because I have such a hard time being still but I guess I will have to get used to it. I might try a Yin class on Sunday. Was also thinking about getting my Christmas baking done. Anyways I just thought I would share some ideas I have as I too fight to get out of this slump. I have 3 more weeks booked off work so need to fill my days with some positive for sure!
Best wishes to you.
Unread 10-29-2015, 01:42 PM

I too have my moments/days when I'm feeling low. I keep whining to family, "I'm sick of being sick! I'm tired of being tired!" I am the queen of stretchy pants and baggy tee shirts right now, plus unsexy panties that could "double as a car cover or circus tent" quotes boyfriend. (thanks for the support, honey!)

I kept my ovaries, but they were hibernating the first two weeks after surgery, and I was having SEVERE hot flashes and mood swings. They're perking back up, and my mood has improved.

Try to get some walks in during your day to help boost your mood -- and I say go for it with the bus to a pub with a pint. Alcohol is a depressant though, so be cautious.

I hope you feel better soon!
Unread 10-29-2015, 01:42 PM

I agree that if you are feeling this way, getting out can make a world of difference. I was out and about a lot during my recovery, and at 3 weeks my dr okayed for me to drive 3 hours to visit a cousin who lives on the lake. That perked me up a lot! What has your dr said on the subject? If he/she is fine with it, and you want to do it, give it a try. Good luck, hope it lifts your spirits
Unread 10-29-2015, 01:46 PM

Oh, maybe I misunderstood..... Is a "brew" beer, or tea? It's a beer where I'm from!

:-)
Unread 10-29-2015, 06:47 PM

I was getting serious cabin fever at my now week 3. I rented a car for a couple of days so I could get about and interact with humans (other than husband and 5 year old). Decided to browse ikea to get some materials for a craft project and noted that pushing even an empty cart was exhausting so I settled for just browsing.

I think breaking your routine would help a lot. I don't think this surgery is something people understand unless they have been through it. Hubby is currently on the sofa complaining about a sore gas tummy, he has no idea!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register