fibroids - Page 4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 04-29-2003, 04:25 PM
fibroids

I had the laparoscopic hysterectomy. I have two 1" incisions on my bikini sides and a little "hole" incision between them about the size of a pencil eraser. Only my uterus and fibroid (same size) were removed. I was his first operation in the morning, walking the halls at 7:00 that evening and walking again at 6:00 in the morning before the halls got busy. I went home at 10:00 that morning when my husband came for me. I was never in any real discomfort and have felt some pulling sensations around my incisions but that was about it. Tomorrow will be 4 weeks.

I wanted to go back to work last week but my family and boss said "NO". I guess they are used to the old hysterectomy stories. So I'm enjoying nice weather and hanging out with my girlfriends and doing lunch until I go back next week.

I don't know what I expected, but I didn't expect it to be quite this easy. It's been wonderful and I look forward to a cramp-free and no-more-messes life! I highly recommend it!

Good luck!

Barb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-30-2003, 06:29 PM
fibroids

I had a TAH for an enlarged uterus with many fibroids. It was all pressing on my bladder and colon, making me miserable, even though I wasn't suffering the terribly heavy bleeding many of the ladies here have suffered (my periods just got slightly heavier during months with lots of pain). I had done watch and wait for 4 years, hoping for menopause (my mother was done with menopause by age 48. I turn 48 in a few weeks). The fibroids just got worse, my tummy got bigger and bigger, my bladder became a constantly dripping faucet, and I got random cramping and side pain all the time. Finally ended up in the emergency room in horrible pain, which finally motivated me to consider hysterectomy. I simply could not face a year of trying extreme vegan diets, or trying to find what was blocking my creative energy (the source of fibroids according to one source I read). I wanted my life back.
I am 19 days post op and utterly delighted. I feel great, even with all the recovery soreness, etc. My bladder has completely stopped dripping. Even with swelly belly my tummy doesn't look as bad as it did before.
Good luck making your decision. I made the right decision for ME.
Unread 05-01-2003, 04:27 PM
Fibroids

I think I have the largest fiborids anyone has see. I was scheduled for surgery yesterday, but it was cancelled because I had chest pain and a abnormal EKG. I went to see a cardiologist yesterday and was given a clean bill of health for anestheology. My surgery now will be Saturday May 3rd.

I've always had heavy periods, but not debilitating. I suffer with pressure in my belly and back. My stomach is so destended, that I look like I'm 9 months pregnant.

Every physician I've gone to have been amazed at the size and multitude of my fibroids. Does anybody else have fibroids stacked up to their liver? I've known I had fiborids for at least 15 yrs and have always taken the wait and see approah to treating them.

I'm hoping that one of my ovaries can be saved and my cervix.

After reading some of the post today I feel a little better, but I'm hoping that I make it to Saturday without freaking out.

I'll come back after my procedure with the best news, that I'm feeling so much better and that I made the right decision.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-08-2003, 05:07 PM
Thanks for all the advice!

I'm so glad that I found this website. I went in to a new
doctor on April 8th, went back in 2 weeks later for an
ultrasound and go in on the 12th of May for hysterectomy.
I find it hard to believe that I've been going to other drs.
complaining of various symptoms and now I find out that
a uterus full of has been the cause of all my
problems! I'm excited to get this out of the way and be on
the road to recovery!
Unread 05-08-2003, 05:33 PM
fibroids

I feel the same way you do about this site! It's been a real lifesaver for me. Whether I'm feeling confused or unsure or nervous, the 'sisters' here are always very reasssuring. It's like being able to get a hug whenever you need it, no matter if it's something good or something bad that you post on.
I, too, was very angry that over the last several years no doctor found fibroids to be the cause of my symptoms. I was relieved, happy, even excited when my current doctor found the fibroids, and promised me relief with surgery. From the day of surgery, I've felt a relief from the pressure and backache that plagued me for years. I did have pain after surgery (hard to compare to others as I can't feel what they're feeling), and I still feel twinges of pain now and then,(6 weeks post). But it's NOTHING compared to what I was living with! I do notice that when I overdo it, the pain and swelling is worse---keep that in mind----but it's better every day. Having this surgery was the best thing I've done for myself in a long, long time. I hope you have an uneventful recovery and enjoy your new-found freedom from pain. Just remember what is repeated over and over on this site: You only have one chance to heal right!

Sue

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register