LAVH 6 Weeks, Husband thinks I should be back to normal! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

6 Weeks, Husband thinks I should be back to normal! 6 Weeks, Husband thinks I should be back to normal!

Unread 10-24-2013, 01:56 PM
6 Weeks, Husband thinks I should be back to normal!

So I am 6 weeks yesterday. My recovery has been pretty good. No hang ups so far. I am back to doing house work and meals laundry kids etc. I still get soreness at my incisions from wearing anything but sweats. I have put on some weight too. I get really tured lately and I am back to needing a nap again! My husband thinks I am just getting lazy and need to start being more active and exercising etc. And i know the sweats are driving him crazy! At 6 weeks am i just being lazy? should i be doing more and being more active? Trying to lose weight? I put jeans on today just to kinda unspokenly look better, and make up. I am not cleared to go back to work cause I am a professional landscaper. Everything i use is over 10 pounds! My kids keep asking aren't you healed yet. Please give HONEST advice. If I should be doing more tell me! Thanks so much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-24-2013, 02:58 PM
Re: 6 Weeks, Husband thinks I should be back to normal!

Read your husband some quotes that other women, (at the same post op week you are at) have posted here about how they are feeling.....that might solve the issue. Especially if you have not had the ok from your Dr. Everybody heals at different paces. I'm at 4 weeks and could not see myself landscaping in 2 weeks from now and I have had a pretty easy/painless recovery. Not to mention I did crossfit 5 days a week for the past yr, so I am in pretty good shape. Better yet make him go with you to a Dr appt so he can hear it from a Dr.
Hang in there!
Unread 10-24-2013, 03:45 PM

I was 5 weeks yesterday and had doc appt. I asked about exercise and she said nothing til 11/20 which will be 9 weeks for me. This includes sex. I have had it easy and am in my jeans and etc but my best friend had her hyst a year ago and at 8 weeks she was still incomfortable. I have been lucky but I don't think that is the norm. It is major surgery and your insides are not healed yet. He needs to educate himself and if he doesn't do it on his own, you need to give him an education! Hang in there! If you overdo it, it could jeopardize your healing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-24-2013, 04:20 PM

Hi Ldeslaurier, It took me 12weeks to start doing everything you are doing. And I still wasn't completely healed. I wasn't allowed to drive or go upstairs until 8 weeks but I didn't start until the week after because my body didn't feel ready. Please don't feel pressured to do something your body isn't ready for because that can cause some major problems. You had major surgery. It can take up to a year to fully heal. Listen to your doctor and your body. I send hugs your way. In my opinion, you are not being lazy. You are healing.
Unread 10-24-2013, 04:30 PM

I am so sorry you are not getting the support you need so badly. Makes me mad!!! I am 5 weeks and am not nearly back to my"old self"! You are NOT lazy...grrrrr...please don't be bullied into doing something you shouldn't and compromising your healing just to please him. I agree..sit him in front of your computer and let him read about other experiences of ladies who didn't take good care of themselves. God Bless you Honey....I am thinking about you.
Unread 10-24-2013, 04:43 PM

I am 12 weeks and there's no way I'd be able to get out and landscape anything. I work full time, went back at 4 weeks and wish I hadn't of.
At 6 weeks I was pushing myself to do normal activities. I was tired ALL the time. It's called fatigue. You are absolutely not being lazy. Everyone heals differently and some women need more rest than others to do it.
Today for instance, I am so tired and heavy feeling all over I can barely move. I'm fighting taking a nap but I'll probably fall asleep anyway.

I'm sorry he's being that way and honestly when I hear about men being like that it makes me angry.
Good luck to you. I know it's frustrating.
Unread 10-24-2013, 05:10 PM

Some women are great at 6 weeks, some of us need to continue to rest. But it's not all or nothing. As the other sisters have suggested, show your husband some info from this site to let him know that some of us take 12 weeks or more to feel right. It takes up to a year to completely heal a hysterectomy. In the meantime, eat healthy to keep your weight under control, and you can agree to continue walking or maybe slowly add to your walking time. Just make sure you tell him you will try. Make no promises because your body may decide it's just not time yet. Sometimes the men in our lives show worry the wrong way. If he sees that you are making even a slight effort to "get back in shape" he may get on board with the rest of it.
Unread 10-24-2013, 07:52 PM

Seriously? Wow. I cant even go there.
Unread 10-24-2013, 08:26 PM

when my husband started throwing out comments.I showed my husband my swollen vagina. I haven't heard any smart *** remarks since he seen for himself. I am definitely not back to normal. I look better, I feel better most days, but, my vajayjay is proof I am NOT Healed!!
Unread 10-24-2013, 11:58 PM

I haven't read every thread here- but I can tell you if no one else has, you have 1 chance to heal "right". I am 2 months post op (yesterday!) and I'm still working from home, just got clearance to drive, I go back Ptime next week still not allowed to lift anything heavy. When you feel those tugs/pulls/pains and swellybelly sets in it's time to relax. I have read time and time again 8-10 weeks to get to the basics, up to a year for full recovery. Have your husband read these posts... look ahead of where you're at like the 8-10 weeks we're all still recovering... slow process but in the long run it's best to listen to YOUR body we all heal differently. Good luck to you!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register