unsuccessful ablation, what next? - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Closed Thread

unsuccessful ablation, what next? unsuccessful ablation, what next?

Unread 07-20-2007, 07:40 AM
unsuccessful ablation, what next?

I felt the same way...hahahaha...I didn't want to make my first dr. mad. But then someone told me that they really are used to it, and good ones assume that that is just a patient being responsible. I was so gald that I did, becuase my new doc. was much more experienced and had much better bedside manner than my first. I found I was just more comfortable with him and could actually get appointments to see him quickly. He tried several options before we ended up with the hyster. I learned to really advocate for myself. I'll never do anything major again without seeking a second opinion.

Take care and hope the next few months aren't too painful for you! Keep us updated on what you decide.

Jen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-20-2007, 09:27 AM

Purple Lilac

I too had a failed ablation in 11/06...

To make a long story short, had LAVH on 6/13....

Originally in Nov I was NOT emotionally ready, and my dr knew that, she warned me the ablation might not work for me, but I wanted to make one last effort to save my uterus....

I had a period the very next month, and although it was lighter, it still lasted about 5 days, the next month the same, after that it was downhill...I started bleeding heavy again and became anemic...
After passing out in front of my youth group while leading service (no it wasn't under the spirit...lol) I finally decided it was time....I was FINALLY emotionally prepared (at least as much as a woman could ever be for this)

But fainting scared the "pooh" out of me...
I was taking 2 iron pills aday and still anemic....I was so tired and sleeping my life away and decided it was time to take it back....
Now @ 5 wks post op, i've been back at work for 2 wks, and although I still feel the effects of having major surgery, I can honestly say, I feel better now than I have in years...

You hang in there, and do all the research you need to, and ask your doctor anything...mine was very kind, patient and understanding...she was wonderful....
When I went in after the failed ablation, she took one look at me and ask....are you finally ready???? I guess she could tell I had finally made peace with it....and yes I was ready...

Unless the hyst is life threatening, wait as long as you need to until you are emotionally ready...I think that is a key factor in your recovery too....

I don't regret having the ablation and waiting...however, like everyone else said....the hyst is the best thing that has happened to me....
My recovery has been fairly easy and not near as bad as I had imagined.....I had suffered w/severe cramping for so many years, the pain after hyst was nothing....

I know I am very fortunate...there are other sisters who have a very rough time, and my heart aches for them when I read their stories....
And then there are sisters who have been diagnosed w/cancer, and I can't imagine how they must feel and what they are going thru...my prayers are with them all...

Sorry....didn't mean to write a book....

You do what's right for YOU....b/c it's your body, and you'll know when your ready....(again unless it's an emergency)

Fefe

LAVH 6/13/07, everything gone but rt ovary
Unread 07-20-2007, 04:44 PM

Hi Teacher30,

Thanks for replying again, glad to hear I'm not the only one who is worried about asking for a second opinion. Guess you're right, a doctor should respect the fact that a patient is just trying to be responsible. After all, if I don't stand up for myself who will?

Hi Fefe,

I'm glad you shared your story with me. I honestly appreciate all the replies I receive no matter how short or how long they are.

Can't believe you returned to work after only 3 weeks post op! I can only hope that if I decide to have the surgery, things will go that well for me. Looking at the positive side, at least when I'm recovering from the surgery I'll know there is an end in sight. Not what I'm dealing with right now. I'm having some sharp stabbing pains on my right side that just started a little while ago so either I'm ovulating or I'm about to have a nasty period. Not quite sure since my schedule is all messed up from taking the bcp's.

Fortunately my situation is not life threatening and like you I really feel for women who are dealing with that. At least I'm able to take as much time as I need to come to grips with the surgery. I can only imagine how scary it must have been for you to pass out. Sounds like that was the sign you needed to make your decision. Kind of like our other hyster sister Teacher30 who ran into 3 women in the same week who had hysterectomies with no regrets. Wonder what will be the final straw for me.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-20-2007, 05:39 PM

Purple Lilac

I have a desk job, and thats the ONLY reason I ask to be released....I don't get sick days where I work, and I had already used what vacation days I had before surgery...
If possible, I fully recommend taking your 6 wks.....
by the time I got home today, i was crying b/c I was cramping so bad, spotting, and vaginal area was aching really bad....I took 4 ibuprofen, put an ice pack b/t my legs and I'm feeling better....

This was my long day today, and I shouldn't have pushed myself so hard....don't get me wrong..after reading several post on this site, I know i'm more fortunate than most...

When you decide to have you hyst, if you can afford it, take all the time they give you....trust me... I know...lol

Fefe
Unread 07-20-2007, 06:32 PM

Hi Fefe,

Sorry, I thought you had returned to work because you were feeling better not because you didn't really have a choice. (Obviously I still have a lot to learn about hysterectomies)

I'm glad to hear you're feeling better tonight after your long, hard day at work. Hope each day gets a little better for you and who knows, perhaps some day I'll understand exactly what you're going through.

Unread 07-20-2007, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fefe
Purple Lilac

I have a desk job, and thats the ONLY reason I ask to be released....I don't get sick days where I work, and I had already used what vacation days I had before surgery...
If possible, I fully recommend taking your 6 wks.....
by the time I got home today, i was crying b/c I was cramping so bad, spotting, and vaginal area was aching really bad....I took 4 ibuprofen, put an ice pack b/t my legs and I'm feeling better....

This was my long day today, and I shouldn't have pushed myself so hard....don't get me wrong..after reading several post on this site, I know i'm more fortunate than most...

When you decide to have you hyst, if you can afford it, take all the time they give you....trust me... I know...lol

Fefe
Oh dear you have done too much, take it easy and take care of yourself. I went back to the office 2 weeks post op and just spent time until I was tired and than home to nap. I'm going to try full time next week. I had my 2 week check today and they removed my ichy stitches and gave me clearance to ride my bike and extend my walking, until I go back in a month I need to keep my lifting within 20lbs. I do have a friend thou that did too much and ended up back in the hospital for 3 days so please be careful.
Unread 07-25-2007, 03:39 PM

I too had a failed ablation. My surgery was in May of 2004 and for 2 years I didn't have any bleeding or pain. In 2006 I started experiencing pain in my right side during the time that I would have had my period. I didn't have pain every month and some months were worse than others. It has been getting progressively worse the last 6 months. After a couple of trips to the ER & to my own gyn it looks like my options are limited. They both believe that I have some bleeding that is trapped by scar tissue thus causing the pain. It can be excrutiating, radiates down my right leg (causing me to limp) and leaves me shaking, sweating, nauseous. It can come on so suddenly that I never know when it might strike! (Fortunately I was at the hospital visiting my sister the last time. The nurses took me to ER right away!) A hyst looks like my only real option. I'm 42 & a single mom of 3. I'm tired of having problems every month & just want to be able to get on with a normal painfree life.
Unread 07-25-2007, 03:48 PM

I'm so sorry Runner42. I feel for you!! I hope that you are able to reach a decision that is good for you soon and be out of pain!

Unread 07-28-2007, 01:24 PM

Hi Runner42, Sorry to hear the ablation didn't last for you either. Sounds like we have the exact same problem. I also have the sudden, excruciating abdominal pain on one side that runs down my leg. Unfortunately I didn't realize that having blood trapped in the uterus under the scar tissue after an ablation could even happen until now. Guess I didn't look into all the things that could wrong with the surgery. I tried bcp's and had to stop, they just weren't agreeing with me. My dr told me my only option now is a hysterectomy. I've been delaying it as long as I can and trying to get as much information as possible before doing anything. I wish you all the best with your decision and just remember that you're not alone.
Unread 07-29-2007, 07:07 AM

I totally agree you will know when it is the time for you. I was told in 2000 I needed a hys, I was terrified and fought it all the way, trying everything under the sun, becoming anemiac,and having no quality of life worth much of anything.So on my las gyn visit the internal ultrasound revealed a new prob fibroids, right then and there I said this is enough ,and left docs office sheduled for hyst, the very next week which was on 7-19-07.When doctor got in there things were so much worse than we could imagine I had atotal hys with tubes and ovaries removed also, on all the scar tissue 3 hernias had developed and needed to be repaired. I am 9 days post op and just am trying to keep myelf as positive as I can, I am starting hormones this Tuesday and am looking forward to a new beginning to my life. Again I know it is scary but listen to your body and you will do what is right for you, take some time alone and just look inward for your answer.Thinking of you and sending you peaceful thoughts and prayers during your difficult decision time.
Closed Thread

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register