Lexapro for mood swings? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Lexapro for mood swings? Lexapro for mood swings?

Unread 07-19-2007, 02:40 PM
Lexapro for mood swings?

I told my doc about my whacky mood swings and she gave me a scrip for lexapro. I have never taken anti-depressants -- concerned about side effects (including weight gain and sexual). Are there any sisters out there who are on it and what is your opinion of it?

thank you for your help!
lala
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-19-2007, 04:21 PM
Lexapro

I myself have not taken Lexapro but my mom has. The weight gain she had was quite a lot. She is usually a very fit and active woman. She is now off of it and struggling to get her weight down. My experience with antidepressants isn't all that great, I felt almost like I just checked out of reality and my weight gain was quite a lot also, more than 20+ lbs in about two months. Just sharing with you. Anti-depressants have their place but I won't take them again! Take care!
Unread 07-19-2007, 04:43 PM
Lexapro for mood swings?

thank you sillyme!

I think I will save them and see how the swings 'play out'. Almost all of the time i feel that God has given me the coping mechanism to survive by having faith in Him. But this crying stuff...

at the same time i want to feel life, not dull it down. thank you for your help!

lala
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-19-2007, 05:07 PM
Lexapro for mood swings?

I've taken Lexapro for 3 years. I've had no side effects at all from it...it saved me from a bad bout of postpartum depression, and I've stayed on it because it "takes the edge off" my anxiety, which can be debilitating. It's not a miracle pill, but it helps you cope. One doctor said it was like covering yourself in Teflon. Nothing sticks. You just don't get as bothered by the stress of life, and small things that used to bother you just roll off. For me, it's helped me enjoy life without getting too uptight about things that go wrong during the day. That's good when you have two small active boys who like to paint on walls and flush shoes down toilets.

I've gained about 5 pounds since I've been on Lexapro, but I think it's just the fact that I'm now 37 and don't exercise as much as I used to.

For all the good it's done, though, I have to warn you that if you get on any antidepressant, it can be hard to get off of it. By the third day of not taking the pill (at least for me), you'll have a lot of dizziness and headaches. You have to wean off slowly.

If you're not the type who really suffers from anxiety or depression (I've suffered from both pretty much all my life), then I would really hesitate before taking any antidepressant. Speaking from both personal and professional experience--I have a Ph.D. in psychology--I think these drugs are WAY overprescribed. They alter the levels of neurotransmitters in your brain, and I don't think they should be handed out as often and as casually s they are. Just my opinion...

Believe me, I understand about the mood swings and crying spells, though. Lexapro isn't helping me with those. I kept my ovaries when I had my TVH on June 18, but I think they've gone into shock and have temporarily quit functioning. I'm having crying spells nearly every day, and Lexapro is doing nothing to stop my moodiness. I think it's just something we all have to get through, and it's going to take time.

Good luck to you, whatever you decide to do about the Lexapro. I hope you feel like yourself again soon!

Lori
Unread 07-19-2007, 05:07 PM
Lexapro for mood swings?

I have used lexapro & effexor in the past. They did help with the moods BUT I did gain weight & as for sex....it made it really hard to have an orgasm. Also another bad side affect most people don't know about is when you try to get off them it is horrible!!! When I went off them I got brain jolts & it took weeks to get it out of my system. I use st johns wort & love it. The only thing it takes longer to start working (about 3-4 wks) then scrip drugs. I had my hysterectomy 3 weeks ago & do not have problems with my moods or depression at all. Now as for the hot flashes........thats another story!!!! Working on that problem now!!

take care
Connie
Unread 07-19-2007, 05:11 PM
Lexapro for mood swings?

thank you so much ladies! I really appreciate the input!

i think i will put off taking them until I am sure i really really need to.

thank you for your help!

lala
Unread 07-19-2007, 06:26 PM
Lexapro for mood swings?

I had my ovaries removed so I don't have the mood swings caused by those hormones, however, I did experience some feelings of hopelessness after my TAH/BSO. The doctor put me on Lexapro about 3 months post-op and it has helped. I haven't gained weight from it and for me it hasn't hurt my ability to have orgasms, but just the same I don't like being on it. Interestingly, it has helped my hot flashes, they aren't as frequent as they were before using Lexapro. Both my PCP, gyn, and gyn/onc said they've all had good results from women using anti-depressants to treat hot flashes. Just the same, I agree completely that these pills are often over prescribed. Good luck, do what's right for you.
Unread 07-19-2007, 07:47 PM
Lexapro for mood swings?

I have been on 10 mg Lexapro a day for almost three years now and no adverse side effects. I weigh the same fluffy weight I did when I started taking it. No sexual dysfunction problems at all. No sleepiness with it either.

My GP today told me to start taking 20 mg of Lexapro today while she tries to even out the hormone issues I am having from surgery.

As anti-depressants go, I think Lexapro is one of the better ones. It does take a couple of weeks to build up in you system.
Unread 07-20-2007, 12:39 AM
Lexapro for mood swings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalawoman
I told my doc about my whacky mood swings and she gave me a scrip for lexapro. I have never taken anti-depressants -- concerned about side effects (including weight gain and sexual). Are there any sisters out there who are on it and what is your opinion of it?

thank you for your help!
lala
Doc gave me a script and I only took it for about 4 days and it made me much worse. Don't know if that is particular to me but it made my depression much, much worse. But... everyone is different and reacts to meds is different ways. Hope something helps. You are in my prayers.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register