stair climbing after surgery? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

stair climbing after surgery? stair climbing after surgery?

Unread 02-25-2004, 04:32 PM
stair climbing after surgery?

Good day, everyone!

Had my pre op today. Fitted with a hospital bracelet already!! I don't have surgery til next week and I still have to meet with clients who will easily see it while I am doing my presentations. I'm not too pleased about this.

Any way, the nurse today told me that I would be fine doing stairs when I get home from surgery. I live in a split level. My bedroom and kitchen are seperated by 7 stairs. I had considered buying a small fridge and microwave to put outside my bedroom door. Bathroom is beside bedroom. I live alone and will not have someone with me all day.

I am having a subtotal abdominal H. I would appreciate hearing from women about their experience with stairs after surgery.

Would it be worth a $200 investment for the convenience of having fridge & micro closer?

I'm not afraid of the surgery. Most afraid of pain control and unknown recovery expectations.

Thanks for reading! I look forward to some replies.

Sylvia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-25-2004, 04:40 PM
Stairs

I had a LAVH on Monday and came home on Tuesday morning. I've been up and down the stairs a lot already. I don't know that I'm the norm but I haven't even had any pain medication since surgery. The stairs have not been a problem...I just go slow. Good luck with your surgery - hope it goes as smoothly as mine did.
Unread 02-25-2004, 04:51 PM

My doctor asked me to limit my stair climbing to no more than once a day for the first week. It is less from the pain and more the unsteady feeling from anesthetic. I do have an increase in pain when I do the stairs too many times.

A hint to help with pain. My anesthesiologist administered an epidural as well as the general so that when I woke up after surgery I was pain free. Then I had additional pain relief for the first 24 hours from the duramorph he placed in the epidural before I ever woke up. I nearly kissed his feet I was so happy with the results!

Good luck to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-25-2004, 05:23 PM
Hi filet (cute name)

Thanks for your response.

What's a duramorph?
Unread 02-25-2004, 05:24 PM
Dear filet

One more thing... were you able to ask for epideral just before surgery or did you need to order ahead of time?
Unread 02-25-2004, 05:50 PM

hi-

i also had a subtotal abdominal h. and i live in a split level. i had to limit the steps the first couple weeks to maybe 4 or 5 times a day.

HondoSam
Unread 02-25-2004, 08:45 PM

Was able to handle the stairs, just very slowly. Live in a two-story and shower on second floor. Would take the stairs only twice a day if possible. Make sure you've done everything you need to do on that floor for a few hours before moving to another floor.
Unread 02-25-2004, 11:03 PM

This is nice to know, thanks! I live in a split entry house. Fortunately for me, the living area, bathroom, bedroom and kitchen are all on one floor. SInce i don't plan on using my craft room for a couple weeks, and won't be doing laundry for quite some time, i don't expect to need to go to the basement at all for a while, and only occasionally out to the car. I think by two weeks i'll be ok doing the stairs once a day or so.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register