Cyst on Ovary | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Cyst on Ovary Cyst on Ovary

Unread 06-07-2003, 08:04 AM
Cyst on Ovary

I had a LVH in May, 2001 due to fibroid and non-stop bleeding. I choose to keep my ovaries, as along as Dr. found they were healthy, which he did. Now for about 9 months I have been having pain during intercouse, that I can feel towards my rectum. That is the only time I feel any discomfort. Finally went to dr.'s and he ordered an inter-vaginal ultra sound. Called for results and same is showing a cyst with tissue within on my right ovary. I was then ordered to have a C-125 blood test to rule out cancer, though he assured me he did not feel I had cancer and this was just another diagnostic tool.

As you can well image I am some what nerved up, considering I thought all my "female troubles" were behind me 2 years ago. I am almost 50 and am going through menopause (night sweat and hot flashed and NOT on hormones.

I would like to hear from anyone that may have faced something similiar. Dr. does believe he will monitor same and hopefully menopause will shrink the cyst.

I would greatly appreciate any response
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-07-2003, 08:23 AM
Cyst on Ovary

Maxine! I have been through a similar experience. Last Oct. I had a TAH/LSO for, among other things, a large ovarian mass with solid component. It turned out to be nothing more than a hemoraghic cyst. Well, at 9 weeks post op my remaining ovary was found to have multiple cysts on it. I was put on bc pills to supress ovulation since I am only 34 and not menopausal.

Did it fix things?? I wish I could tell you that it did. However, I am experiencing an increase in symptoms with each cycle now at almost 8 mos. post.

I think that as long as your doctor keeps an eye on things, everything will work out fine. Good luck and do keep us posted.
Unread 06-07-2003, 12:07 PM
Hi Maxine........

Sorry you are going through this. I had TAH/RSO and then had a cyst come up on my left ovary, I know how disheartening this can be. Has your Dr made any suggestions yet as to what he would like to do about the cyst and how long he plans to take the "wait and see" approach?

Vbjack is right and most times these cysts are nothing to worry about but it's good that your Dr sent you for the CA-125, just to be safe. Alot of times, Dr's want to wait these types of cysts out and see if they will resolve themselves, which works sometimes.

My biggest suggestion to you is for you to KNOW the facts about the progress of this cyst. Your Dr. should be monitoring this cyst on a regular basis via ultrasound (US), be sue to ask for a copy of each US report as they are done. and keep this info in your records. I say this because my cyst was also being monitored via US and my Dr kept telling me that we were making progress. We tried depo-provera but I continued to have the pain and then one day my Dr told me there was nothing else that he could do and I would be fine. I went for another opinion and picked up my records from his office and then found out (from US reports in my chart) that the cyst had never resolved but had been getting larger. So just be aware of what is going on for yourself, look at the reports so you can make decisions based on facts. Functional cysts will resolve theirselves but if they don't resolve within a reasonable amount of time then other options need to be looked at. By the time I found another Dr and was set up for proper diagnostics (5 onths) my cyst had reached the size of a cantelope and had to be removed via my original bikini incision. Had I kept myself abreast of the facts, I would have known sooner that it was time for another Dr and time to explore other options. Good Luck and let us know how it goes.
Dawn

It's true what they say....we ARE our own best advocates.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-07-2003, 09:21 PM
In your boots too

Hi maxine;

Not sure if you will like my response. I too have a cyst on my right ovary. I had my TAH in Jan 2003 and within a month my prize I had junior as we call him on my ovary. Within Four months it had grown to 4 cm and gone solid. It has caused me emerg visits and all. Mine is not going away. I too went threw the scare just last week of the CA-125 test it was like I was in a tail spin. It was one long week of waiting. Because I have been in so much pain The gyn has scheduled me for surgery June 13 which is labeled as an emergency. My cyst has recked havoc on my life. So I am off to the Castle again. I am barely finished being a princess when I get to become one again. Oh by the way my test was negative. I wish you all the luck.

Denise
Unread 06-08-2003, 03:32 PM
Cyst on Ovary

Thanks to everyone who has responded. Your insight has helped me a great deal. Feel sometimes I am the only one whose female plumbing is shot. I am suppose to call Dr.'s office Monday morning 6/9 to find out the results of the C-125 and what he plans on doing. I truly am in no pain except when my DH and I have intercourse.

I have been reading about the C-125 and understand that even if it does come back high (over 35) it does not mean that there is necessarily cancer present and vise versa if it's under 35 you could still have cancer. So what is the point of the test.

Also is it true that menopause should shrink same, or does that depend on the type of cysts.

Thanks for your help, and good luck to all facing further surgery.
Unread 06-14-2003, 01:22 PM
Cyst on Ovary

Just to let you know. Received my C-125 test which is 10.9. I know this does not rule out cancer, but dr. feels with such a low rating along with my ultrasound, that he will keep an eye on same. The cyst measures 2.3 x. 3 cm. He wants to see me in two months. Anyone have any more thoughts. thanks Maxine
Unread 06-14-2003, 11:55 PM
Hi again Maxine...........

That's good news on your test results. It seems as if your Dr is doing a good job of keeping tabs on this. Be sure to monitor your symptoms closely and if you notice an increase in pain or even no improvement within the next 3-4 weeks than I would ask the Dr to do a repeat US just to check on the size of the cyst. (is it the same, smaller, larger?) I hope this resolves quickly for you. Good luck and lots ofs
Dawn
Unread 06-16-2003, 05:23 PM
Cyst on Ovary

Thanks Dawn for all your insight I will truly keep you advice and see how I feel. I was wondering what type of cyst did you actually have other then a cantalope, and did you ever have the CA-125 blood test and what was your score. Thanks maxine

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register