TAH scheduled - Any advice on keeping ovaries or not? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

TAH scheduled - Any advice on keeping ovaries or not? TAH scheduled - Any advice on keeping ovaries or not?

Unread 01-19-2008, 05:10 PM
TAH scheduled - Any advice on keeping ovaries or not?

Hi, all. I am a new member; just found this site yesterday. I posted this question on the "Introduce Yourself" section last night, but have realized that was reallly not the correct forum.

I am 47. This surgery is somewhat of an emergency situation; it was scheduled last Wednesday. I am severely anemic from losing too much blood from fibroids and an ulcerated cervix. (Almost died and had a blood transfusion two weeks ago.) So I have not had much time to decide about the ovary decision.

It sounds as if my doctor really thinks I should take them out. If the fibroids are cancerous, he says, he would just have to go back two weeks later and remove the tubes and ovaries. The last thing I want is another surgery in two weeks!!! Yet he told me that there it is rare, only one in 1000 fibroids are cancerous. (Leaving me somewhat confused!)

So what to do?

Does anyone have advice about keeping your ovaries? Done it either way and had a good or bad experience as a result?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-19-2008, 05:49 PM

Hi Fangsang! to our site!

What a scary experience. I am so glad you pulled through! I had huge fibriods and massive bleeding too, and my doctor told me the same thing about the ovaries, that if it did turn that I developed cancer in my ovaries he would have to go back in and take them out. They have to tell you that because there is always that very small chance that you could develop cancer in your ovaries. He also told me the same thing about fibriods, that only one in a thousand are cancerous. Those are very small odds, and for me, worth the risk so that I would not have to deal with menopausal symptoms at the same time that I am recovering from major surgery.

I decided not to have my ovaries removed, because I do not have a history of ovarian cancer in my family, so I am not likely to develop ovarian cancer myself. I am glad I made this decision because I am not dealing with hot flashes and other menopausal issues, which from what it sounds like to me from reading other post on this site can be troublesome. Other women have to have their ovaries removed because of endometreosis or other concerns, and they learn to deal with those issues as they come up, with the support of their doctor, family, and friends.

Remember that you just went through a very scary experience, and right now might feel like it is better to err on the side of safety. Make sure you get as many facts as you can before you decide. I know my mother was very happy that she did not have her ovaries removed when she had her hysterectomy, because she was able to avoid the menopause symptoms for a few years, and was able to ease into it naturally. Why put your body through any more than you have to? Please check out all the great articles on this site about this issue. They are wonderful. I wish you all the best in your surgery and recovery! I am feeling better everyday, and so will you soon!

RJSTANTO - These are only my opinions, and since I am not a doctor, should be viewed just as that, my opinions only!
Unread 01-19-2008, 06:39 PM

Hi Fansang!

Whether to keep ovaries when undergoing a hysterectomy is a common query -- so common, in fact that we have an article in the Pre-Op Articles archive that you may find helpful:

Keep Ovaries?

I had my ovaries removed along with my hysterectomy, at the age of 50. I did so because many types of cancer (although not ovarian cancer, yet) run in my family. Surgical menopause posed some challenges for me but I finally started feeling like myself eventually.

I hope that, in partnership with your doctor, you make the surgical decisions that wind up being the best ones for you.

Many s and Best Wishes,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-19-2008, 06:49 PM

Hi,

I've found from listening to a lot of women that keeping or taking ovaries is a very personal decision. For me, I have cancer in my family too, so out they went. I'm grateful for the many benefits of my surgery, but also be aware that there are some risks too. I'm 41, and the risk of heart disease and osteoperosis goes up significantly with the surgery, so even with the cancer risk, I decided to go on HRT until I'm 50. Do some research on the physical pros and cons, look at your family history, and listen to both your doc and your heart. I think you'll know what's the right decision for you.

I'm so glad you're okay, how scary this is for you. I do know that either way you go, hysto is going to be such a good thing in your life! And there will be many women here to support you after your surgery.
K
Unread 01-19-2008, 08:45 PM

Hi Fansang -

This is a great site. I'm glad you found it. The women here are full of wisdom and compassion.

I had a hysterectomy with ovaries removed back in November. The hysterectomy was scheduled due to fibroids, heavy bleeding and anemia. I struggled with the question of having my ovaries removed or not.

First of all I did some research on the Cleveland Clinic website (clevelandclinic.com). That's a local hospital, but has a very good national reputation. Wealthy people fly there from all over the world. I read the information about the Women's Health Initiative. It gave me a lot of information about women's reproductive and breast health.

It seems that the magic age is 45. Most doctors recommend removing the ovaries if you're over 45. I have a family history of breast cancer (mom and grandma). My doctor told me that if I have the gene mutation for breast cancer I would also have an increased risk of ovarian cancer. I'd never heard that before but this information was confirmed by the Women's Health Initiative results. If you have the gene mutation and have your ovaries removed not only will there be no possibility of ovarian cancer but your risk of breast cancer will be cut in half. So I decided to have my ovaries out. I am not taking any HRT because of the cancer risk.

I'm 48 now. I was 47 at the time of surgery. Since the surgery I have had a few problems that have gone away - night sweats, brain fog, insomnia. The only symptom that I have now is hot flashes. But these are not bad at all. Up to 5 times a day I get really, really warm all over. It lasts about 3 minutes. I don't sweat. This is a small inconvenience. I've been trying to dress in layers so I can take off a jacket when I have one.

I wish you all the best as you make your decision. I'm glad you asked here at Hyster Sisters. Everyone is so different and you'll get a variety of stories. Between you and your doctor you'll make the right choice.

Don't forget to post here after your surgery too. It's nice to talk to the other sisters and ask questions while you're recuperating too.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register