Pain on one side of incision | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pain on one side of incision Pain on one side of incision

Unread 05-05-2006, 10:01 PM
Pain on one side of incision

Hi sisters. Yesterday was my 3-week post-op date for my TAH. I have been improving steadily and am feeling good. Still, from the beginning I have had greater pain on one side of my incision -- It feels like the pain is both inside and outside. I had acute nausea the first two days after surgery and am worried I might have pulled something when I was getting sick. The incision looks good, it is just about a 2 inch area that seems to hurt more when I stand or stretch it. Any thoughts from anyone on this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-06-2006, 09:57 AM

I don't have an answer but the same feeling. I have had more pain around a 2" area on the right side of my incision. This side is also a bit more "ropy". I also had more weird feelings in the 3rd week which I was told is normal. I don't think I pulled anything. I do notice the right side hurts worse during bm's if there is any straining, or when coughing or bending. I hope it's nothing for both our sakes. I am in week 4 now and things have subsided. I do get more sore on the right side when I walk faster or more than normal.
Best Wishes!
Unread 05-06-2006, 10:11 AM
Me too

Hello. So glad that I popped in, because mine started two days ago. Rt side two in. around the incision. I can only stand up or sit up straight for about 10-15 minutes. Then it burns like heck, pain level 6. It is only relieved by reclining or laying flat. So I have been reclining for 30 minutes, and walking for 15 or until I can't stand it. Is this normal in some cases?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-06-2006, 10:28 AM

Well, thank you so much for the response. Roni, It sounds like we are experiencing the same thing. I do notice that when I cough (or even worse, sneeze) that the one 2" area is much more painful. I also notice it bothering me more when I overdo. Maybe they just had to work a little harder inside on that area? I will ask my dr. at my one-month appt. on 5/15. Blondie, you are just at over one week. I would really stay resting this weekend, don't push to pain level 6. If it isn't better on Mon., I would give my dr. a call since your surgery was so extensive. I kept no ovaries or tubes, but did have extensive scar tissue from two earlier c-sections that required clean-up. My surgery only took about 1-1/2 hours.
Unread 05-06-2006, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbdk
Maybe they just had to work a little harder inside on that area?

That is what I assumed as well. I had a ruptured ovarian cyst on the right side. So I assume he had to pull the skin and muscle farther and work harder there.
Take care!
Unread 05-06-2006, 10:57 AM

My GYN told me that the pain you are all describing is where the "heavy duty" stitches are. She said it's normal to feel a bit of pain there - especially if we overdo things. As those inside stitches heal we may feel a bit of pulling and discomfort. Just continue to take care of yourselves and know that the feelings are part of our bodies recovering. Take it easy.
Unread 05-20-2006, 08:44 AM

I had quite intense burning/itching pain at my incision site even months afterwards....after you've seen your doc to make sure nothing else is going on...try rubbing the well healed incision w/ice...rub it till it really hurts..this from what my doc said redirects the pain pathways and IT WORKS!!!! I'M A NURSE AND DIDN'T BELIEVE MY DOC...BUT IT WORKS!
Unread 06-01-2006, 09:21 AM

Just wanted to update for any sisters out there experiencing this incision pain.
I went for my last post-op yesterday (7 1/2 weeks) and told my gyn that the ropy area is still a bit painful. He said that he always starts the suture of the fascia on the right side. He said the stitches in area are always thicker and take longer to disolve. It may become more painful with increased activity and will lessen and flatten out on it's own in time. Hope this helps someone.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register