Dumb question.... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Dumb question.... Dumb question....

Unread 09-28-2005, 07:39 AM
Dumb question....

Okay, after reading spaceytracey72 post about her orthopedic Dr's. rude questioning, it got me thinking. Perhaps a dumb question, but I don't know why we have to do this!?!?!?!

When we fill out medical chart at Dr's. office, why do they have to know past surgical procedures? I had my tonsils out at 4 y/o and had a tubal ligation at 23 y/o, and now a hysterectomy at 32 y/o. I can understand sharing that information with GP, but why do I have to inform all Dr's. of these procedures? What business is it of theirs....I hate informing every medical facility about my hysterectomy. It's personal, and they do always say things like, "But your young, what Dr. did the surgery, why was it necessary?" I just feel like it is none of their business.

I had a visit with my oral surgeon because I am getting my wisdom teeth out in November. I had to fill out all past surgical procedures! What does having a hysterectomy to do with getting my wisdom teeth out and the questions above was actually things he was asking me. I just don't understand why when we go to a Dr. for a different problem related to prior surgical procedures, why we have to share the surgeries we had in the past if none related to that office visit or to that Dr's professsion?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-28-2005, 07:41 AM
Dumb question....

Thats a good question.... I have often wondered the same thing. Maybe one of the wiser sisters will be along with an explanation.
snickers
Unread 09-28-2005, 07:56 AM
Dumb question....

Only my opinion, but I think they want to know if there were any complications. Its just like the preop appt. and day of surgery. The same questions over and over again. They just want to make sure that nothing is missed. eg. reactions to meds.etc
jeang
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-28-2005, 08:03 AM
Dumb question....

I work in a mental health clinic. Part of our initial evaluation is taking a complete medical history including past surgeries. A lot of the things that we see in our office are impacted by surgeries or car accidents, etc. General anesthesia can cause depression in some people (especially if they're prone to it). It's also a clue about how someone may respond to treatments. It's amazing how we don't always put things together until someone asks a question or jogs our memory about things. Also, some illnesses exacerbate problems. I really didn't pick up on my father's Alzheimer's until he got sick with meningitis. After that his symptoms became more noticeable because of the stress of the illness.
Unread 09-28-2005, 09:36 AM
Dumb question....

Past medical history is part of all medical evaluations. I know it seems repetitive but from the EMT/Paramedic that first see you if you call an ambulance, the RNs, the Drs, the consulting Drs....everyone asks about past surgeries/illness. It helps them rule out some conditions and makes them consider others. There are also some medications that interact with others in very negative ways. If you have hypertension you can't take all cold/flu medications. Stuff like that. I have had people that I asked about medications and was told that they didn't take any. Then when asked about medical history they said hypertension. I asked about medication for that and was told "oh that just my bp pill that doesn't count". To medical personel it does.

Just try to remember that they are doing it for your current and long term benefit. It might make it easier if you make a list. Date/Procedure/Reason/Any Complications/Daily Medications/Allergies. This will save you a lot of talk to just hand him the list.
Unread 09-28-2005, 06:19 PM
Dumb question....

I take health histories in a dental office and have had that same experience. Do you take any medications?
A) My wife gives them to me in the morning I have no idea what they are for.
B) Young women for some reason don't thing oral contraceptives are medication.
C) I am allergic to somethings but I don't take them anymore so I can't remember what they are.
Write it all down and keep it in your wallet; if something untoward happens to you the info may save your life.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register