Hot flushes after hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hot flushes after hysterectomy Hot flushes after hysterectomy

Unread 02-15-2009, 01:13 PM
Hot flushes after hysterectomy

Hi All,
I had my hysterectomy on 26 January and I still have my ovaries. My recovery has been great and I've felt great but over the last week I've been experiencing hot flushes which are quite intense and they wake me about 5 times a night and I get them through the day as well. I wasn't expecting to experience hot flushes. I'm 44. I presume this is just my body adjusting after the operation and not the sudden start of the menopause? Or am I being too optimistic?!! Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-15-2009, 01:20 PM

I had my hyst. on Dec. 9th. Kept my ovaries and I have been having night sweats...YUK!!! The doc told me that it could take a few months for my ovaries to wake-up and adjust after surgery. I'll be 46 this month. I guess we just have to give it time.
Unread 02-15-2009, 01:42 PM

Hi there -- I personally had my ovaries removed, and have been having night sweats at about the same frequency I was having them before my surgery -- I think I was already peri-menopausal. But from reading many others posts on this forum, I do believe that the surgery causes your ovaries to go into shock and shut down for a while, and that it can take several weeks before they wake up and start to function. Give it some time, and in the meantime possibly others have some advice on how to minimize and deal with the hot flashes. Good luck and keep pampering the hot princess!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-15-2009, 02:38 PM

Thank you for the replies, much appreciated. It's good to know the hot flushes are a normal reaction and will go quick enough - hopefully!! Has anyone any suggestions on how to minimise the hot flushes? I've been reading up on it to avoid spicy food which I do like, but can avoid and to avoid coffee which I love and will reduce! I have been reading about block cohosh but I gather you have to take it for a few weeks before you feel the benefit.
Unread 02-15-2009, 02:45 PM

I had my Hysterectomy Feb 11th and kept my ovaries as well. I just started experience the hot flushes. Also most of them as night as well. Like it hits me as soon as I crawl into bed. It it NOT fun but I know that its just my body adjusting to everything and trying to get out of the shock of having surgery. Glad to know I am not the only one.
Unread 02-15-2009, 03:36 PM

I had no idea this could happen! I too kept my ovaries, and I have been burning up in the evenings for periods of time, and then during sleep I have night sweats, every single night, I wake up dripping in sweat, soaked through, gross!
Unread 02-15-2009, 03:51 PM

One night I was dreaming my hubby took the hose to me and I woke up yelling at him for getting me soaking wet....he kept on saying your dreaming, your dreaming....I didn't do it. I just hope my ovaries wake up soon!!!!! I feel for the ones who lost there ovaries. I guess this just gives us insight to what is yet to come when we start into the change for real. At least, ours is supposed to be only temp.
Unread 02-15-2009, 04:03 PM

i kept my ovaries and i have been lucky enough not to havethe sweats and flushes,although a treatment i was on prior to surgery did put me into the menopause so i can sympathise.i would suggest avoiding alcohol as well as caffeine.i also gave up chocolate too.ITs a miserable time isnt it.
hope your ovaries wake up soon flower.I looked at my mum in a totally different light when i went through it.I always thought "why all the fuss its just a hot flush"till i went through it.I made a big hoo haaa everytime i had one.Im dreading it when i actually have them for real again
xxx

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register