HELP !! Really scared !!!!!!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

HELP !! Really scared !!!!!!! HELP !! Really scared !!!!!!!

Unread 05-20-2002, 06:22 PM
HELP !! Really scared !!!!!!!

Hi,
I am 42 years old and was told the other day by my doctor that I have a fallen bladder, fallen uterus, fallen rectum, and leaking bladder.
He is setting me up for a total hysterectomy, I find out the exact date on June 19th. He said he will be making a cut in the vagina and also on the abdomen. What kind of Hysterectomy is this ?
I have had 3 c-sections and have a tiny pelvic bone. I cannot imagine him doing this through the vagina.
I am TOTALLY terrified and all I want to do is cry :cry:
I have been trembling all day until I ran across your site.
Do I have the choice as to which type of hysterectomy I want ? I feel with all the doctor has to do, he can do it better with an abdominal one. .
How long will I be in the Hospital ? For Vaginal/Lap, and how long is it for an abdominal ?
What happens with the fallen bladder and leaking bladder and fallen rectum ? Does it mean a longer hospital stay ? will I come home with tubes for drainage ?
I have not been in the hospital for 18 years.
The doctor is also taking out the ovaries. He said I only have a few years left with them anyway and if they fail, it means more surgery later on.
I have read the Abdominal Hysterectomy is the safest and most used, is this correct ?
Thank You, I am so thrilled I found you !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-20-2002, 07:34 PM

Hi,

I wish I had answers to all of your questions, but I'm too new to all of this, also. I just wanted to let you know that you're not alone. Perhaps you could call your doctor and at least talk to a nurse who could answer some of your questions. Or see your doctor again for a "talk only" appointment. I've done that when I had questions about other issues. I had to be pretty assertive, but I did get in quickly. Take a deep breath and make a plan. If it helps, write it down. It sounds like you feel really out of control, which is definitely understandable! In the end, you have the right to any decision about your body. You ARE in control, even though it is overwhelming right now. Good luck!
Unread 05-20-2002, 07:42 PM

Stardust,

You have come to the RIGHT PLACE! s to you! Having a hyst is such a hard thing to face! It took a month before it truly sunk in. Then it took another month for me to figure out what questions to ask. (I'm slow; what can I say?) This site is the best for getting information and asking questions. Don't hesitate to write your questions down and call your doctor with them! It helps to be informed! Knowledge is power!

I have three weeks to go (oh my gosh!!!) and I am still getting info, support, and strength from my sisters. Holler if you need us!

s and chocolate!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-20-2002, 07:47 PM

You sound sooo stressed out, and I don't blame you! I've never had a lot of your challenges, but I do know that when I've had my laparoscopies, they had to make a small cut in my abdomen to insert a little camera that projected everything onto a screen. Then they puffed my stomach full of air so they could see what they were doing. They also made another cut below my bikini line to insert the laser. I know a vaginal hyst is supposedly the easiest to recover from because they don't have to cut through all the stomach muscles. I don't know, because I'm definitely not a doctor, but your doc might be saving you a lot of pain later?? I don't know. . . something to check out.

Keep us posted!

Stacy
Unread 05-20-2002, 08:02 PM

Glad you found us. I was so relieved when I found it. I am just 4 days post op for a TAH (total abdominal) and BSO (Tubes and Ovaries). I was scared to death and nearly in a state of hysteria by Thursday Morning (May 16).

I don't have the problems you are experiencing, but I can give you a little info about my TAH. I had also read that the abdominal surgery was safer, too. I had a general with an Epidural for pain management. For me, that is the way to go. My doctor likes it better cause you don't have to be put as far under and there is quicker recovery time, plus you don't have to have the morphine pump. My incision is about 10 inches, bikini line. Bigger than average, due to the size of my one fibroid. I have steri strips instead of staples. My doctor also is doing a procedure where instead of clamping, cutting, and stitches, he clamps and then basically lasers it, thereby cutting it and sealing it at the same time. Therefore no internal stitches which equals less pain.

I was in the hospital for 4 nights, which is about average for TAH, some go home in 3. I was pre certified for 5 days, so opted to stay for 4.

I don't know much about bladder, rectal repair other than a coworker's friend had one about a week before me, and she was either 3 or 4 days in the hospital, and I think came home w/a catheter, but is doing great.

Sorry this is long, but hope it helps you feel less anxious. After it was over with, I said, I can't believe I worried so much about it.

Take care and hope to see you on the boards. This is a great place to come to get answers and ease your mind!
Unread 05-20-2002, 10:26 PM
I was scared too, these wonderful women helped!

I just had a TLH -BSO. A total laprascopic hysterectomy with both ovaries removed due to a history of endo and adhesions.

My doctor made three small incisions in my abdomin, one in my belly button and one on both sides, down by where my ovaries were. I also had an incision in the top of my vagina where they removed the uterus, cervix and ovaries. Sometimes this is called a LAVH or Laprascopic Assisted Vaginal Hysterectomy.

I think the difference is in a Vaginal Hysterectomy the doctor is doing all of the cutting and stitching from the vagina, and with my total laprascopic hysterectomy the vagina was an exit only. All of the cutting and stitching was done through the laprascopic tools in the abdomin.

I was in the hospital overnight and am five days post-op. Feeling tired and a little weak, but the pain isn't that bad and I'm glad to be home.

I can't answer your questions about your bladder/rectal repair, but in my case the Laprascopic method meant less blood loss, a shorter hospital stay and a shorter recovery period. (2-3 weeks). Write down all of your questions and ask your doctor. If you aren't comfortable with his/her answers seek a second opinion. It's your body and you should be comfortable and happy with the type of surgery/doctor you have.
Take care and the women on this website are the best!
Kathryn
Unread 05-22-2002, 09:47 AM

Hi Stardust,
I think its natural to be scared. But as you're probably noticing you've come to the right place for information.

I had a TAH on 5/13 and am doing just fine. The pain is very manageble. I also opted for an epidural instead of general anesthesia which was a good choice for me. I was awake shortly after the surgery cleare headed and numb from my chest down. No groggyness or nausea to deal with. As the numbness wore off they injected meds through the epidural and kept me comfortable for the first 24 hours. Then on to injected and oral pain meds for the rest of my stay. Every hour and every day I felt better. I now have soreness and am very tired and weak but hey, that's to be expected.

My doctor gave me the choice regarding my ovaries. I too am 42 years old. But I figured if I had them removed I would definately have to be on HRT. I have thyroid disease and take 3 pills (1) T4 and (2) T3's daily which are thyroid hormone replacements and didn't want to "replace" any thing else unless absolutely necessary. Even if you have the choice and decide to keep them there is the possibilty that they won't work after surgery. Sometimes they go into shock because of the surgery....I took the chance that they will work fine and keep me from taking anything (HRT) for a couple of years. Whether its another 5 years or 10 years doesn't matter to me. Every day that I don't have to take HRT is worth it to me.

Ask questions......its you're body.

Good luck
Unread 05-22-2002, 10:04 AM

You should get a second opinion for any type of surgery. It sounds like you have not and I would recommend that you do. I got 3 and I was glad I did. Doc's have different philosophy, opinions regarding the best treatmene/surgical approach.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register