Can DR really tell inside?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Can DR really tell inside?? Can DR really tell inside??

Unread 02-01-2003, 09:01 AM
Can DR really tell inside??

Hello Everyone,
I have a question that my seem a little silly to some of you, but it is a concen of mine. I have been reading many of the post on outercourse and this made me think about something. Please do not make fun of this question, because I am being very seriuos and I'm not sure if I could ask it face to face with anyone. Ok here goes, if you are a virgin and never really had any inside penatration when the Dr is in there taking out the uterius can he/she tell?? I'm not sure what they are called, but as I know them to be called the cherries are they visible to anyone in there?
Just wondereing if I should be embarrassed next time I go in to see the Dr, for this is something I would never ask.
I know it maight be a silly question everyone here seems to be in a very happy situation with DH's, and DB's. If anyone has a answer sure would be helpful.
Thanks so much. Hugs and smiles to all. Pluie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-01-2003, 10:28 AM
Hi pluie,

I don't think that's a silly question. Inquiring minds want to know. I definitely do not think ANYONE should be embarrased about still being a virgin , whatever their age, there is alot to be said about abstinance these days. I hope that my DD saves herself for her husband...no matter how old she is.

As for the "cherries"..it is "my" understanding that the "cherry" is actually a thin piece of tissue just within the vaginal canal that is "broken" (for lack of a better word) during penetration. I think the only reason they call it a "cherry" is because when this tissue is "broke" it bleeds a little bit and "cherry" is the referral to the red color of the blood, which is usually only a couple of drops........hence "cherries".. I could be wrong about this.......never had any formal training on the subject....this is just my understanding.

As for the Dr being able to see it.........I'm not sure..but I would lean towards saying "NO", only because gyn's tend to ask young girls if they are sexually active. It seems if they weren't sexually active that would be apparent if the Dr was actually able to see the "cherry". Although.....this could just be a generic questions asked by Dr's because there ARE other forms of "sexually active" besides penetration. So I guess I really haven't answered your question...Sorry. Maybe another sister will come along who knows more than we do about the subject.

Lots of 's

Dawn
Unread 02-01-2003, 11:21 AM

The tissue is a thin membrane called the hymen and it is visible upon examination. Whenever there is penetration of depth into the vagina it is broken. Most often this is accompanied by some type of bleeding but not always and the amount may well vary.
The doctor doing the surgery should be able to view it but may not even pay close attention to it being there. That would be hard to answer on the one hand you would think that they would make note of it and on the other you wonder if they take the time to look at everything in such detail. Your operation report should tell and if it doesn't it wouldn't hurt to ask your doctor that did the surgery. I'm sure they've heard questions that you wouldn't beleive! Don't be embarrassed about any question. It's your body and you have the right to know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-01-2003, 01:58 PM

I'm a little confused

(no surprise, really....scatterbrained I am!)

If you're about to, or have just had a hysterectomy..hasn't a doctor already taken a full sexual/medical history and done a few internal exams?

(if the hymen is unbroken, the doctor would know this upon performing an internal exam...if the hymen is broken from other causes - such as horseriding, tampon use, etc - then it's a non issue).

If your question was...can they tell from the inside, if you're a virgin - then no, generally speaking, you can only tell whether a woman has been pregnant or not, and not whether she's had intercourse or not (unless the hymen is still unbroken..but as above, I'd think this would be apparent during an internal exam).

If that wasn't your question, then please accept my apologies!

Take care,

Tess
Unread 02-01-2003, 02:28 PM
Hello Ladies!

If I may add to what has already been said. Johnna is correct it is called a hymen. A hymen is the membrane that covers the opening of the vagina. An internal is not necessary to see this. Most often it perforates spontaneously before puberty. Also if the original opening is small it may tear with the first penetration of intercourse. The reason that I know this is because mine was torn at a very early age. My family DR was examining me when I was 11 years old and she asked me if I was having sex. Sex?!! I nearly died right then and there because obviously I wasn’t; I was only 11 for goodness sake! I still though boys were icky!! After a brief discussion we determined that mine was torn from years of competitive gymnastics.

Pluie, if you are that is your business and no one else's. Chances are you hymen disappeared long ago from riding a bike or from any number of experiences. I would not worry too much about what the DR says about it or thinks about it. I would be more concerned right now about how your healing is doing.

"s my sister.
Unread 02-01-2003, 02:52 PM
PLUS

Whether or not the hymen is intact is not necessarily indicative of anything. Some women still have a hymen after intercourse and lots of women don't have their hymen intact without having had intercourse. So don't worry. Whether or not you are a virgin is something only you know.

Joselle
Unread 02-01-2003, 08:51 PM
Thanks

Thanks for your imput I never thought about riding a bike or tampons. It was just something that came to mind and I thought a good place to ask, (maybe not).
So thanks and really no big deal.
Hugs and Smiles to all.
Pluie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register