New Hysto Candidate HELP | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New Hysto Candidate HELP New Hysto Candidate HELP

Unread 06-17-2003, 11:55 AM
New Hysto Candidate HELP

I was just informed yesterday that my only option left is a hysterectomy. My doctor has advised me to research this and become familiar with the process. Unfortunately, I don't do well in "doctor-ese". I have specific questions I want answers to and I am hoping to get some feedback here. What is the pain level like afterwards? I have read many of your postings and some say it is better than before the surgery. I will believe that. I don't think anything could hurt as bad as I do now. How long are you down in the bed for? Are you able to get up at all? How long after surgery, if both ovaries are taken, do the mood swings start? (That is a consideration in my case) How long before you begin to return to some type of normal activity? How long before you return to work?

I am really scared, but have exhausted all other options treatment wise. My options boil down to pain constantly, or surgery. I guess I just need to know what to expect after surgery. Every one says it is serious, but no one can tell me exactly what that means.....

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-17-2003, 12:07 PM
New Hysto Candidate HELP

Hi Agent D

Welcome to Hystersisters!!!!!!!!

First of all, I want to say that this surgery is a major one. You have to have all the knowledge that you can gather going into it.
Second, I want to say that everyone's experience is just a little different from anybody else's. I'll try to answer your specific questions:

1. You are in bed resting for as long as you need to be. When you are tired, you go and rest so your body feels better

2. Yes, you can probably (depending on your doc.) get up after surgery. In fact, everyone at the hospital wants you to get moving - it helps with gas problems, bowel movement, and helps keep away blood clots from your legs. You also will need to get up to go to the bathroom after you get your catheeter (if you have one) out.

3. Mood swings start differently for different people. I had both ovaries taken out and by the end of week one, I needed to be put on hormones to help me out. Remember, everyone is different.

4. 6-8 weeks is what they dub the normal recovery time. Some people take longer and some people take shorter periods of time. The best time to return to normal activities is when your doctor says that it is ok.

Hope this helps you out. Please feel free to post any more questions you might have.

Sending you a big

Patty
Unread 06-17-2003, 12:08 PM
New Hysto Candidate HELP

((AgentD))))))),

There aren't any hard numbers for your ?s but I can give you a ball park of what seems to be the average around here.

All releases for activities must come from YOUR DR.

You will not know if you will be average or not until after surgery!

Once again just average:

Pain is very much a personal thing. I had about 4 at the worst on a 1-10 scale. some have more some less.

I was up out of bed the next morning. Although you must take it very easy , you are not an invalid. Short walks are recommended as soon as possible.

Some ladies have moods the day of surgery, some never do (me) so again , a roll of the dice.

The original recovery is 6-8 weeks with total taking up to a good year.

When your Dr releases you ( when he says) then you gradually work back to your pre op activities. For more on allowed not allowed post op, try this link:

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/hsa...hp?s=&id=97123

The Dr will also decide when to release you for work.

Yes it is serious. A hysterectomy is MAJOR SURGERY and should not be entered into lightly.

I hope I was able to help.

Best wishes,

Pamcat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-17-2003, 12:15 PM
New Hysto Candidate HELP

Hi!

I had a TVH on the 9th and as far as pain.. the first day of surgery was the worst by far. I have a pretty high pain tolerance and would say the level was no more than a 5 on the pain scale. 1 being the least and 10 being unbearable pain. I may have peaked a few times to a 7.. but that didnt last long. I was ringing for meds every 4-6 hours so things were kept under control. The next morning... I was about a 2-3 on the pain scale and I havent went above a 3 since. I stopped pain meds at 5 days post op. I ate a full regular breakfast the next morning without any trouble.

I had no catheter and was up to pee at 2 pm.. after my 9 am surgery. I woke from the GA and was moved to my room around noon. So you could say within a few hours of waking from the anesthetic, I was on my feet with assistance from the nurses. I took a trip to the bathroom every hour on the hour (no kidding) and did it alone after about 6 pm that night after surgery.

I get up and walk frequently every day. I am 8 days post op and feel better than I have in many years. At 3 days post op I felt better than I did in years. lol. I have been released to do anything I want as long as it doesnt involve pushing pulling lifting or straining. Nothing in the vagina for 6 wks either. I was told to listen to my body and if I had a doubt.. not to do it! I walk, fold laundry (no lifting or bending), cook light meals which do not require much standing, shower, etc.. every day. Sitting doesnt bother me as long as its kept under 30 minutes. Switching position frequently is important or else you get stiff and sore and swelly belly can appear.

Most ladies return to work around 6-8 weeks post op. Some sooner. As far as hormones go.. I kept both ovaries and have not had to deal with any menopausal symptoms.. however I am in the middle of a massive acne breakout for the first time in my life!

Hope Ive helped you a little and answered a few questions.
Unread 06-17-2003, 09:33 PM
New Hysto Candidate HELP

I'm 36 and had a TAH. After the first 48 hours, I was up and moving about with no problems. I was really sore as I expected to be, but it was not terrible. My bladder felt bruised for awhile. It was no where near as bad as I thought it would be. Thinking back, it was no big deal. A long recovery yes, but for me pain wise, not an issue. I had no problems at home with moving about, even getting in and out of my waterbed. I found out early on that I did not need to take naps. I took my last pain med the night I left the castle and never needed any since. I was home by myself all day long and took care of myself just fine. I could not drive for 3 weeks though. I did nothing but use the washroom and get myself food and beverages the first 2 weeks post. My DR had me gradually start doing light housework after that with no lifting anything heavier than a gallon of milk for 6 weeks. I did dishes, cooked, did some laundry, and took care of my family of 5 again. By 4 weeks, I was running small errands every day and doing more housework than the early weeks. 6 weeks to the day, I was back at work cleaning houses and exercising. There are many ups and downs along the road to recovery. You have 4 great days and then hit a wall and feel exhausted or hurting. I did have the dreaded gas pains for a week. I did get some aching and burning along the incision in the later weeks. I still have swelly and lately even that has finally seemed to lessen in intensity. Best thing I was ever able to do for myself. Life is beautiful on this side Good luck

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register