Remove ovaries also? Already in menopause | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Remove ovaries also? Already in menopause Remove ovaries also? Already in menopause

Unread 01-28-2007, 11:06 AM
Remove ovaries also? Already in menopause

Hello All:

I have read through a lot of the threads on this forum, but so far haven't run across my particular situation, so I guess I'll start this thread myself!

I am 52 (almost) and a breast cancer survivor. Although I was premenopausal at the time of my mastectomy and reconstruction (4 years ago), I was "chemopaused" with Zolodex in order to be able to take Arimidex. At that time I went through instant menopause and had a really rough time--extreme dryness vaginally and zero libido. Hated it! Finally the doctor took me off the Zolodex and switched me to tamoxifen. I'm still menopausal, but things are MUCH better. I am now being advised to have surgery to repair uterine prolapse, bladder prolapse, and pretty much everything prolapse. The doctor wants to remove my uterus (which is how I ended up on this site) and is also advising me to have my tubes and ovaries removed due to my own cancer survivor status as well as my family history of cancer (extremely strong). He is however telling me the choice is up to me. I have very mixed feelings about this. I can see the benefits of removing most of the risk of further cancers, but I'm concerned that having the oophorectomy will put me back where I was before. I know compared to a lot of you I'm older, but I still hope to have a lot of years left of a decent sex life! And of course, it's not like you can put them back if you don't like the results--and my oncologist is not going to be in favor of any hormone replacment therapy since his whole orientation is towards limiting any estrogen exposure possible.

Has anyone been in this situation? Does being already menopausal mean I've probably already been through the worst?

I look forward to any experiences you can share.

Thanks!

Judy D. in Texas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-28-2007, 04:17 PM

Hi Judy,

I had my hysterectomy because of prolapse too. Everything that can prolapse was. I am 50 and perimenopausal and kept my ovaries because I get hormonal migraines. My Dr. said it would be best to keep them, however, if I had been post menopausal I would have had them taken out. I have friends who kept theirs and had to have a second surgery and recovery to remove them. They recommended having them taken out the first time. I don't have a family history of uterine, breast or ovarian cancer. If I did, I probably would have had them go ahead and take them.
Unread 02-02-2007, 12:44 AM

I'm not exactly sure, but I THINK that if you are already post-menopausal, then it couldn't get much worse if you have your ovaries removed. You might have some symptoms for a while, but it should balance out over time -- at least that's been my experience when I was thrown into surgical menopause last March. I am now EXTREMELY grateful my ovaries were removed since I was recently diagnosed with breast cancer -- particularly since my cancer was estrogen receptor positive. I'm now so glad I don't have any estrogen being produced by my ovaries, since they're gone! Good luck with whatever decision you make -- it has to be the best decision for YOU! Sending lots of support your way!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-02-2007, 01:30 AM

Hi Judy,

You have some really hard decisions to make and I'm sorry you are in this position. But I'm proud of you for doing some research and putting some serious thought into your choices.

Have you considered or had a second opinion? (Not by someone your current doctor recommends, by the way.)

There are many myths about the ovaries and menopause that even a lot of doctors still believe. One is that the ovaries cease ALL function at menopause. This is NOT true. "Menopause" is simply the cessation of menses, which is our periods. It does not mean the ovaries cease all function at menopause.

The ovaries are endocrine organs and they produce many chemicals (hormones) other than estrogen. These other chemicals (hormones) help control our bladders, bowels, digestive tract, skin, vision, bones, weight, cardio vascular system, hearing, emotions, cognitive abilities, sleep, sense of well-being, sexual function, etc., etc!

Many of the problems you are having now, such as the prolapses, dryness, etc. could be from the interruption or failure of your ovaries from the chemo, but perhaps it's not permanent. And perhaps they are working in ways that you do not know. I think you are wise to consider that removing the ovaries might put you back where you were.

Also, you are concerned about your sex life. This is a HUGE consideration! Removing your sex organs can destroy your sex life. There are a lot of factors to consider when making this decision. You should weigh everything carefully.

If you read any of my posts, you will see that I've paid a heavy price for not understanding my own body, doing any research or getting a second opinion before surgery. It's a price I don't want anyone else to pay, so I urge you to get at least one other opinion before making a final decision.

Have you read any books on hysterectomy and oophorectomy? My favorites are: "The Hysterectomy Hoax" by Dr. Stanley West; "Your Guide to Hysterectomy, Ovary Removal and Hormone Replacement" by Dr. Elizabeth Plourde; "The Sexy Years" and "Ageless" by Suzanne Somers and "Misinformed Consent" by Lise Cloutier-Steele. These books can give you points to consider that your doctor may not mention.

I am the same age as you now and I was 46 when I had my surgery. There is no doubt that the surgery has had a serious, negative impact on the quality of my life. Nothing is the same for me as it was before. I wasn't dealing with cancer before surgery, (although that is basis my doctor used to scare me into surgery) and I haven't been through all the ordeals that you have had to go through, so we are not exactly the same. However, I have had my uterus, cervix and ovaries removed, and like you said, "it's not like you can put them back." Therefore, I urge you to take your time, and do a lot of homework now, so if you should decide that this is the best course of treatment for you, you will know you did your best for yourself and won't be second guessing your decision later.

Hugs and best wishes,

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register