Surgery Tomorrow - Last-minute Q's | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgery Tomorrow - Last-minute Q's Surgery Tomorrow - Last-minute Q's

Unread 01-03-2011, 12:18 AM
Surgery Tomorrow - Last-minute Q's

Hi, everyone!

I'm finally having my surgery tomorrow (1/4/11) and couldn't be more thrilled! I just have a few last-minute question. I've read countless posts and just felt like I needed to ask some of my own questions to put my mind at ease.

I am having a vaginal hysterectomy, keeping ovaries. I am self-employed, so I need to get back to work ASAP. Everything I've read so far sounds like two to six weeks, so I'm hoping to be more on the two-week end of the spectrum. I sit down for my job and some days I work an hour, other days I work eight hours. Has anyone gone back to work after two weeks or am I just being foolish thinking that's possible?

Also, I've just recently come across the idea of the ovaries not waking up right after surgery and experiencing menopause-type symptoms. Does this happen in all cases or just some people? My doctor didn't say anything about this.

Thanks for any info and any tips you care to pass along will be greatly appreciated!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-03-2011, 01:10 AM
Re: Surgery Tomorrow - Last-minute Q's

i see a lot of people who have just a hysterectomy, feel pretty good right away, take it especially easy while you are home and that will help your recovery too,

my ovaries have went into some sort of shock, lots of hot flashes and night sweats, haven't talked to my doc much about it as he just wants to throw hormones at me, not interested at this point

how's your bowel prep going?
Unread 01-03-2011, 01:18 AM

In day 4 after da vinci surgery. Kept ovaries. Had bladder sling procedure as well. Have found that sleeping with lots of pillows helps. Also is helpful to have one propped under my knees. Was taken out to lunch with family today but it was too soon...very tired and nauseous upon return. Otherwise, frequent napping and walking around the house is going well. Each day gets easier. Pain is really not too bad. Motrin works fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-03-2011, 01:51 AM

I had a TVH on December10th, kept ovaries. I know some women go back to work at two weeks, but I would not have been able to. I am now a little over three weeks post op and still feel very tired, foggy brain as well. I still have abdominal aches and pains so I am glad I am of fro six or seven weeks actually. But then, others move forward faster, so it really just depends on your surgery and the way your body heals. I underestimated this surgery, I am very happy I had it done, but recovery is slow. Good luck with your surgery!
Unread 01-03-2011, 04:46 AM

Im going in tomorrow as well and will have everything but my cervix out. I am going back to work in two weeks, even if I have to suck it up. Theres no other choice for me.
Unread 01-03-2011, 07:56 AM

I know everyone is different, but for me I absolutely could have gone back to work, even at one week post-op (I'm a student right now, so I didn't have to). I was sore 1 & 2 days post-op, but by the 3rd day I was doing really well and had lots of energy. I only had one hot flash around day 4 post-op, otherwise, no indication of any hormonal imbalance.

Take Gas-X and lip balm to the hospital with you...I was so grateful I had both.

Best wishes!
Unread 01-03-2011, 08:16 AM

I felt like I could have gone to work at 2 wks but had to wait until 5 wks since there was no office type work available. But I would have been tired very easily so not sure it would have really worked if I'd gone back. Not everyones's ovaries "rest" but mine did and it lasted several weeks of frequent hot flashes. Yours may do fine so just wait and see. Best wishes on your surgery and recovery.
Unread 01-03-2011, 08:19 AM

I had a LAVH and was working from home three days after surgery...really could have been working the next day, but what the heck, I'd planned to spend three days in bed, so...I work for a company that does a lot of telecommuting, so I had arranged to work from home for the week of the surgery and two weeks after, but I would have been able to go into work at two weeks without any problems (I was back to full normal activities, errands, shopping, etc. except for a lifting restriction after four days). At three weeks I went back into the office, which involves a two-hour commute -- car, bus, subway. That's how it worked out for me -- others have had very different results, and you may too, so be careful about setting expectations.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register