When can I ????? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

When can I ????? When can I ?????

Unread 05-29-2006, 09:21 AM
When can I ?????

hello, i'm going nuts sitting here doing nothing. I see my Dr. on Wed. but i'm just wondering when did your Dr. say it was Ok to start gardening, sweeping, clean the cat box and stuff like that. My garden is getting overrun with weeds. Thanks in advance. Everyone have a great holiday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-29-2006, 09:51 AM
When can I ?????

Hi,

My dr gave the go ahead to do anything I wanted at my 6 week post op appt. when he released me. He said to just go slow and work up to doing a little more everyday. If you get sore, hurting and fatigued , that means you are overdoing and you need to rest and back off some.

I hope you will get you dr okay to do more real soon.

s
Unread 05-29-2006, 10:18 AM
When can I ?????

I'm just at three weeks today and I'm feeling pretty good. But I did way too much Saturday. I even braved going to the grocery store (I drove myself) and picked up a few things we needed. I also caught up on washing dishes, took a shower, etc. I am just now recovering from it. I keep having to remember that there are stitches and stuff that needs to heal on the inside as well.

I can't wait until about 8 weeks when I can start doing more around the house. My period has always gotten in the way of being more active. I've started a list of all the things I want to accomplish once I can. But even so, I don't want to jeopardize my recovery.

Just be sure and ask your doctor. Take care.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-29-2006, 03:47 PM
When can I ?????

Wait a minute.... I need a mental picture of this -- you want to do housework?

OK, all kidding aside -- I agree with the other (((sisters))). As bored as you might be, you've still got internal stitches that are healing. I'd hate to see you back needing more repairs because of damage you've done for the sake of a few weeds in the garden.

I also agree that the key is easing into things. My doc told me that it takes very little time for your body to get "out of condition" and that you'll have to ease into even normal activities, much less the strenuous stuff. At my six-week checkup, he said I was cleared for all activities. He was careful to say this didn't mean I could go home and vacuum the whole house that night -- that I could ease into everything and I was to stop whenever I felt fatigued or sore.

I enjoy gardening, too -- but the pulling, bending, and reaching are almost the worst movements you can do when you're trying to heal from surgery like this. Please be gentle with yourself!!
Unread 05-29-2006, 07:11 PM
When can I ?????

Oh do I know how you feel!! I am 5 weeks post-op today and everyday for the past 2 weeks I have been asking DH if he thinks it would be ok if I just sat on the ground and used my little hand shovel to weed around my fish pond. I have even promised not to pick up anything that weighs over 5 pounds. And everyday DH says no and if I do anything he will report back to the Dr because he specifically said no squatting. DH is just no fun!! Seriously though, I know he's looking out for me and because I know he would tattle on me I haven't pulled one weed.
Michelle
Unread 05-29-2006, 08:18 PM
When can I ?????

Hi there....just to let you know....I am 7 1/2 weeks post-op. I tried pulling a few weeds...forget it. It puts too much strain on my belly. No matter what position I am in....so I will wait a little longer. Oh well It will happen. Best wishes to you.
Unread 05-29-2006, 09:35 PM
When can I ?????

Whats the hurry on the cat box cleaning????? Really, housework wil lalways be there. My dh does it. I will milk it for as long as I can I have been doing everything for him for 30 years, so he can do stuff fora afew weeks. He just has to do simple stuff, so he can deal with it. We eat light, macoroni, chicken,rice,soup and ice cream. He did say today he could go for a nice meal..............well, when I feel like dealing with that I will.Eating lite is a good idea, filling the ole swelly belly can hurt.
Unread 05-30-2006, 05:52 AM
When can I ?????

Okay here is my for what is worth. At about 3 and half weeks or so I decided to clean the cat box, I used a stool and carefully scooped the litter into plasic bags and had DS carry them to the trash (he just wasnt as thorough) and I had him pour in fresh litter. I did some minor vacuuming at 5 weeks, just the room I was in most of the time. I am dying to pull weeds too and I am sure that I will be released to do so today. BUT I also know that I will have to go slow. My plan is to water the weeds to make the ground soft and sit on my butt. Then I will have DS take the bags of weeds away. I honestly feel better being able to do some things. BUT when I am tired or it hurts I STOP. My dr told me I could ease into things after 2 weeks and I have. BUT I have LISTENED to my body. So far so good. I know that some of things I have done will not or would not be "acceptable" (for lack of a better word) to some of my fellow sisters, but it was stuff I had to find out for myself. All in all I feel good, but still rest lots. What ever you decide, it is important to remember that you will have to ease back into your normal rountines. Find your own pace. Good luck!
Unread 05-30-2006, 06:16 AM
When can I ?????

Not gardening is also driving me crazy! At 4 weeks post-op, I'm dying to mow, weed, dead-head the flowers, etc. I sit in front lawn and watch all my neighborhood friends doing their's and it drives me insane! This is the worst part for me, but I know better and don't feel like I could find a comfortable position for it. I feel it just pinching off a little dead flower. I'm trying to be a good princess, and so in return, I've treated myself to walking around the flowers for sale and making a 'to-do list' for the rest of the household members Fortunately, they are good sports!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register