How Much Walking Should you be doing? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How Much Walking Should you be doing? How Much Walking Should you be doing?

Unread 11-06-2009, 09:54 AM
How Much Walking Should you be doing?

1 week post op for my TAH and feeling really good, no pain meds except 1 at night. I almost feel like I could go walk a half of a mile, but I have no clue how much walking I should be doing and the last thing I want to do is overdo it and be in pain from scarring the rest of my life...........

Any advice on this would be great.

Would also like to hear on ACTIVITIES you sisters were able to do in 2 week POST OP!!!

Just a HUGE THANK YOU, and MANY BLESSINGS UPON YOUR HEAD for anyone who takes the time to write. THANK YOU FOR YOUR NEIGHBORLY LOVE AROUND HERE!!!!! Ceci
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-06-2009, 10:04 AM
Re: How Much Walking Should you be doing?

Hi JFJ - I started walking mini laps on the flat around our house - after each meal (this helped me avoid bowel issues). Then I just slowly increases my time and now I am using my treadmill (o - 2) incline and am 4 weeks post op- I average a mile now but I just don't overdue it. I was doing the mini laps from the time I got home from the castle. Just don't push yourself (uncomfortable cramping,etc) just take it slow. I would also aak your doctor. I avoid our driveway as it is steep but do the stairs in our home - carefully. Use common sense and listen to your body-
Unread 11-06-2009, 10:13 AM

Oh... THANK YOU SO MUCH! I have been walking around in the house in the am a little. Went up and down stairs about 10 times yesterday, (6days after the big event) SLOWLY.... felt great to use muscles, but I can tell I'm weak.

BEFORE SURGERY I worked out 3-5 times a week with 3 mi walks on some days. HUGS TO YOU TOOOOO!! THANKS FOR REPLYING
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-06-2009, 10:26 AM

Wow, I can't believe you are able to do all at only 4 weeks PO. You are very lucky. I'm 6 weeks PO and whenever I move around just for a bit, I have to deal with sweely belly and cramps afterwards. I can't begin to imagine going up and down stairs. I guess our bodies respond differently to the procedure.
During my PO appt with DR, he indicated to start slow. Not to try to run a marathon right away. It's like when riding a bike or exercising for the first time, the next day you're normally sore.
I am beginning to walk a little bit more each day and stop when body start reacting. But if you are able to do everything you have been doing and feel fine, hey that's great. Just be careful not to over do it....
Unread 11-06-2009, 10:31 AM

I started walking the second day post op on the treadmill. I started really slow as slow as it would go, no incline, I would only do as much as I could, everyday I would increase a little. I am three weeks out and go for at least an hour everyday. It helps so much with swelly belly and bowels. I believe it has been what is speeding up my recovery.
Unread 11-06-2009, 10:35 AM

HEY THANKS!! What kind of surgery did you have and how much walking were you doing 1 week into it? Have a blessed day, Ceci
Unread 11-06-2009, 10:38 AM

TALH-BSO and endometriosis....Grade 2
Unread 11-06-2009, 12:27 PM

Hi JFJ! I'm 1 week post op as well. I am used to working out approx 3-5 days per week. Pre-op, I would run 2-3 miles on the treadmill every other day and do weights every other day. I also taught a fitness kickboxing class 2 nights a week. Needless to say, I'm a little stir crazy not being able to do any of that! But, I'm hoping my pre-op activity will help my recovery. I do not need any pain meds at all as of Thursday morning. So....yippee for that! I may walk out to the mailbox today! How exiciting will that be? I wondered about walking on the treadmill but read somewhere that it was not recommended? Anyone know why?
Unread 11-06-2009, 12:37 PM

I have 2 walkers in my home, one is much more "jerky" to walk on than the other. I think the point is AVOID SCARRING TISSUE LIKE THE PLAGUE. It can cause pain for life. But I think if you can walk mildly without a lot of jarring, go for it. I'm in Mt. and I think it's about to snow so I intend on doing a bit of walking. Walked a block away to see 3 of my 9 grandchildren today. Felt good but it's really windy........ got a ride back.

Have a wonderful recovery. Love, Ceci
Unread 11-06-2009, 01:32 PM

I have been walking since the second day of my Hyst. Started in the hospital walking around the floor. When I got home I just walked around the house. By the second week I ventured outside and walked to my mailbox. By the end of that week I walked around my neighboorhood (we have a walking trail). I'm finishing up my 3rd week of my post op and walked 2 miles today. I really feel great...no pain. I started out slow and walked a little more each day. I too did a lot of walking before my Hyst....so I think that has helped me recover a little faster. Just listen to your body and do what it allows you to do.
Take it easy....and happy walking!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register