Prolapse and surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Prolapse and surgery Prolapse and surgery

Unread 07-15-2003, 05:27 AM
Prolapse and surgery

My doctor recommended hyst with A/P repairs due to prolapse of bladder, rectum and uterus. My symptoms are annoying, but not totally unbearable. I do want to have this fixed, though, before the prolapses become a really serious issue. (Haven't got a date yet, but will probably be early October as I have a trip scheduled in September.)

But ... reading the posts on this site and all the women with really seriously life altering problems, I almost feel like I'm being a baby about my relatively minor problems. So many of you are seriously in pain, or have such altered lifestyles, it very sad. Makes me almost feel guilty for wanting to fix my prolapses.

Any prolapse people out there that can relate, or explain hoow fixing them early can be beneficial?

Thanks for any input.

Caroline
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-15-2003, 10:55 AM
Prolapse and surgery

Hi Caroline,

I didn't have prolapse problems, but there are many ladies here who had their hysts for exactly that reason.

I'm sure someone will be along very soon to share her experiences with you. In the meantime, I'm sending hugs your way as you evaluate your options.

Beth
Unread 07-15-2003, 01:16 PM
Prolapse and surgery

Hi ((((Caroline)))))

I had my hyst due to an annoying fibroid and to prolapse of the rectum. Like you, I often felt like my problems were relatively minor and that I was being a big baby. You see, I didn't have any of the pain others had, just bleeding and the feeling that my insides were litterally falling appart.... guess they were

(((((Caroline)))), a lot of women who opt for a hyst do so because the conditions that lead to the surgery are affecting their quality of life, not because their life is threatened. However, once I had the surgery, had recovered and felt like I was getting my life back, I realized just how much the fibroid and rectocele were affecting all aspects of my life: of course, there was the almost constant, very heavy bleeding that would threaten to occur just about any time. There was also the hormonal unbalance that the fibroid carried along with it. Once the enlarged uterus was removed and the rectocele repaired, I realized that my posture had improved, that the bursitis in my right hip had vanished and that the lower back pains (that had been a constant problem for me) were no longer a daily occurance. I no longer was loosing patience with my children and my libido had returned. Therefore, all aspects of my life improved with the hyst.

Of course, I can't make that decision for you: only you, and your doctor, know how much your prolapse is affecting your quality of life. If you have any doubt as to the validity of this surgery... which is always a major surgery, regardless of how it's performed... do not hesitate to seek a second, even a third opinion... because, once removed, those organs can't be replaced.

Here are valuable resources regarding Prolapse as well as possible alternatives to surgery:

Prolapse Resources
https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...hreadid=102442

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...threadid=76074

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...threadid=79438

Alternatives Resources

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...threadid=76076

Wishing you the best of luck. Regardless of your decision, your sisters will be here for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-15-2003, 01:35 PM
Prolapse and surgery

Dany - Thanks for your post. I know my problem isn't as bad as some, but I do have problems with the rectocele; bladder weakness; achy uterus prior to periods; uncomfortable sex, heaviness; fatigue etc. I am seeing the urogyn next week to find out the details about the bladder testing that his office did. He will be doing the cystocele repair and my gyn will do the rest. I expect my visit with this urogyn will be my second opinion. I'll see what he has to say.

My periods have been pretty heavy the last couple of years with flooding and all that, but I took progestin for a few months 10 days before I was to get my period and now they've not been quite as bad. I stopped the progestin several months ago because my periods weren't coming when they were supposed to so I didn't know when to take the med. Don't know if the heavy periods could have something to do with the prolapse??

Since I am 48 and have two grown kids and 3 grandchildren, I don't really need the uterus. I plan on having the surgery unless, the urogyn totally disagrees with the recommendation.

THanks again.

Caroline
Unread 07-16-2003, 01:42 PM
Prolapse and surgery

Hi Caroline,

I also had my hyst because of prolapses of my uterus, bladder and bowel. Like (((Dany))), I didn't realize until afterwards how much I had been affected by the prolapses. I had lower back aches and pains that were caused by the prolapses and my bowel prolapse had gotten so bad that I had to "splint" in order to have a bowel movement.

I put my surgery off for more than a year, hoping that the prolapses would get better (they didn't) or at least not continue to get worse (they did). I have never regreted having my hyst, but probably would not have had it any earlier, because I wasn't emotionally ready any earlier. As (((Dany))) said, no one but you and your doctor can decide whether a hyst is right for you.

I'm glad that you found us, and that you are taking the time to research and decide what's right for you. Please be sure to keep us posted.

's
Unread 07-16-2003, 02:04 PM
Prolapse and surgery

K-
Thanks for responding. I understand completely what you are saying. I prefer to have my problems fixed before they get worse. I think they already are, though, because now, if I strain for a BM, not only do I have to splint, but I feel a really bad aching, like my uterus is pressing hard on something. And you can actually feel the uterus almost to the opening of the vagina.

I just feel funny sometimes, discussing my problem when so many other women have such severe ones.

I know I am going to have the surgery. I completely trust my doctor, we have a good relationship. As a matter of fact he is about 25 miles away and so it the hospital from where I live. I am willing to travel to see him.

I will post more after I see the urogyn next week.

Thanks again.
Unread 07-23-2003, 01:57 PM
kdeit - help!

I know you've had prolapse and I need to ask a few questions. My problem today is the info I received from my urogyn. I saw him for the first time today. His office previously saw me for an internal, history and urodynamics testing. I posted what he said today in the options website.

Apparently he thinks I don't have a uterine prolapse, just the mild cystocele and moderate rectocele. My regular gyn has told me that I had a grade 2 uterine prolapse.

Here are some of my symptoms, reasons I think I do have one. I would appreciate hearing if you had similar or the same experience. When I bear down, tampons come out of my vagina; if my husband goes to deep, I have pain (he's not a really big guy so that's not the problem). Sometimes, especially near period time, I get achy. I can feel the cervix when I am sitting on the toilet and bear down - it comes down to about 1 - 1 1/2 inches inside the opening. Its not supposed to be that low, is it? If I don't bear down, is probably about 4 or 4 1/2 inches up.

Please let me know your experience. I really feel that I do have some prolapse, but this doctor is supposed to be so good - why would he say no??
Unread 07-23-2003, 08:06 PM
Prolapse and surgery

Dear (((Caroline)))

I just typed a long response to your questions, and somehow the reply got lost !!

I read your other post and am so sorry that you didn't feel comfortable with the uro/gyn. Hopefully, your gyn will be able to talk with him and to you about the discrepancies in their diagnosis. You also might want to think about getting a third opinion, since they two doctors do not agree at this time.

One thing that I have read from other members with prolapse is that sometimes the prolapse is not as obvious when they are being examined lying down. Some doctors have examined their patients standing up - this gives a better idea of whether the uterus is prolapsed, and how badly.

I did have many of the same symptoms as you are describing - tampons would pop out at times, making love was uncomfortable, at times painful, and I felt as if there was a ball at the entrance to my vagina. I don't know if those symptoms could have also come just from the bladder prolapse, though.

I'm sure you are upset - I would have been, too, but please remember that you have got plenty of time to find another uro/gyn, if necessary, and to be sure that you are not rushing into unnecessary surgery.

Please let us know what happens at your next appointment.

's

I hope that you'll be able to discuss all your concerns next week with your gyn.
Unread 07-25-2003, 01:55 PM
My prolapse and surgery

I found out 6 yrs ago I had a prolapsed uterus. Doctors then wanted to do a Hysterctomy right away. I got a second opinion and chose not to have it done then , I was told I could wait.. Well I wasnt ready to give up on having children. It wasnt till only this year after trying for 3 yrs with new hubby to have a child with no success. We realized how much my problems have had a hold on my life. My health issues with this started 4 yrs ago when I would experiance terrible backaches after being on my feet to long or lifting to much. It would bring me to tears. I dealt with the pain until my diagnoses of Fibromyalgia and it wasnt till just recently that I found out my back pressure and pain could have been from my prolapse. Other doctors told me no, also was told by other dr. that my bladder problems was normal. I found out last year it was a bladder disorder. When we decided to do the surgery in March of this year and we scheduled it for july 9th my prolapse was very severe and i was very uncomfortable my bowels were very hard to get due to the prolapse. My cervix had fallen to the point where it was on over 1 inch outside of my vagina and I could feel my bowel moving up and down. I would have to push it back up it no longer was doing it on its own. I dont regret waiting but when I think back I wish I had done it sooner then I did. It was not comfortable to have it falling out all the time.. It started really restricting my life. You have to do what is best for you and dont feel guilty about making the decision to go ahead with your surgery. If needed get a second opinion. The dr's who did my surgery were the 4th opinion only due to moving and I am very pleased I had top ones doing it. I wish you all the luck and remember do what it right for you .. These are only my opinons and you still should discuss these issues with your dr.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register