Couch or bed those first post-op days? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Couch or bed those first post-op days? Couch or bed those first post-op days?

Unread 03-21-2005, 08:25 AM
Couch or bed those first post-op days?

While I have a pretty comfy couch, it takes a little adjusting to get plumped into the pillows just right, and then laying down on it requires rolling around. It seems my bed would be more comfortable for lying down, however I don't have a TV in my bedroom and I'm afraid of going stir-crazy.

We've discussed getting a TV for the bedroom, but I'm not real crazy about the idea (the bedroom is for sleeping). Not only is there the expense, but we'd also have to run cable into the room.

I'm having a TVH and am expecting to be in the hospital one day. Assuming all is "normal" (I know we all heal differently), will I be well enough to move around from bed to couch? (I don't have any stairs, and it's not far from one place to the other) If not, should I go for the TV, or will the couch work? I should mention if I stay on the couch my daughter may try to play remote commando so she can watch her cartoons/MTV shows (UGH!) So maybe there's something to be said for having the second TV...

How did you set up your recovery area, and where did you recover?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-21-2005, 08:58 AM

it took me a week to get home from the castle after my tvh. i had some complacations. wich doesnt normaly happen to everyone.... so dont worry about that. when i got home i stayed in the bed for about 2 days ( i got up and walked a bit) day 3 on i stayed on the couch till it was time to go to bed. then i went to my bed. I dont know but i have a hard time sleeping anywhere but in a bed lol...... now napping is diffrent..... lol The healing went pretty quick after i got home
make shure you take lil walks it helps pass the gas wich you realyyyyyyy need lol. Hope this helped you....

JessicaS
Unread 03-21-2005, 08:58 AM

My wonderful DS and his girlfriend bought, and set up, a tv in my bedroom. I didn't use it. I found it more comfortable to lounge on the sofa, and I slept in my recliner for the first 2 weeks. Even though my bed is comfortable and has lots of pillows, it took a lot of movement and effort to get comfy (for me).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-21-2005, 09:32 AM
do both

Morning Sisters

As for the couch vs bed, I did both, and I had a TAH. I managed fine, going from one to the other, and I was forever getting up to go to the bathroom anyway... it will just be slooooow going, you won't be winning any foot races any day soon! lol Maybe you could lie on the couch while awake, and go to your bed for some quiet nap time.... I'm sure you'll do fine.. just take it easy. Best wishes to you!
Unread 03-24-2005, 08:47 AM
advice from 8 weeks post op

I highly recommend a recliner chair. You won't want to sit upright for weeks - it feels like you're folding yourself in half and squeezing the incision area. Make sure you have a table near you where you can keep everything you'll need - phone, reading materials, crafts, kleenex, remotes..... (napkins to tuck under your chin to catch sloppy eating while reclined - that was tough, lol )

If you have a child of cartoon-watching, remote-commanding age, you should have a second TV anyway, but whether to locate it in the bedroom is another question. I have a small TV & VCR set on a shelf in the kitchen which I use mainly for recording shows when 2 things are on at once.

If you can find a cartoon you both like, relax & enjoy some together time! You've got a good excuse! And bad TV is also easier to watch while you're doing a craft or reading the mail.

Hope this helps!
Merrie
Unread 03-24-2005, 08:52 AM

well so far i've rested on the sofas downstairs and walked up stairs to bed for an extra quiet nap a couple of times today - i don't find sitting upright a problem, and the first time i stood in hospital i made sure i straightened out til upright - you really won't burst anything and once you've done it, it gets easier and easier...

good luck, and play it by ear - you may find that like me, all the little things you stressed about before hand, actually never turned out to be an issue

Take care

Chicky
Unread 03-24-2005, 12:02 PM

I really enjoyed my bed.....I found laying on sofa next to impossible.....I did get a new recliner but I had to get DH or DD to help me recline it....you dont realize how much you use your tummy to recline.....and the first few days you don't feel like sitting or laying for a long period of time anyways
Unread 03-24-2005, 02:27 PM
Both rolled into one

Hi Ary,
I opted for couch ... er ... bed ... er couch -- well, actually I have a futon in my living room so I opened it out, made it more comfortable with a foam pad and used that.

It is just as comfortable as my bed and within clicking distance of the TV, VCR, DVD and CD player.

It is within easy walking distance of the computer as well.

However, I would have been able to walk between couch and bedroom -- which are on the same level -- by the time I was released from hospital. It's just that getting up to do so wouldn't have been much fun for the first few days.

I also picked up a used recliner but haven't used it very much.

Have fun setting up your throne room. <grin>

Keep well,
IslandScribe
Unread 03-24-2005, 11:06 PM

The bed, downstairs family room sofa, and the recliner in my bedroom were all comfortable places to be after my SAH/BSO with repairs. I had no problems with our 3 stairs to the upstairs and having more than one place to go during the day made it less boring.

Living in Arizona, I also went outside on the back patio every morning to have coffee and watch the beauty of my surroundings.

Moving around (I think) helped me heal!

's

Katie
Unread 03-25-2005, 05:57 AM

Thank you for the AWESOME replies! We're going to get a TV for our bedroom... DH informed me he has some other things he'd enjoy watching with me in the bedroom (not suitable for family watching, if you get my drift )

He also pointed out that I could watch my beloved "Sex in the City" in peace too. I never felt comfortable watching it in the company of my 17 yr old daughter and seemed to only watch when she wasn't around.

As for the couch vs bed debate, I think I'm going to play it by ear. A recliner sounds like a WONDERFUL idea, but we just don't have the space for one. I did get a "chair pillow" and can get nice and comfy with it. As Bikery says, this is just something to stress me out during the wait.

Thanks for the responses all!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register