Surgery Aug 6th - Have questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgery Aug 6th - Have questions Surgery Aug 6th - Have questions

Unread 08-04-2012, 06:00 AM
Surgery Aug 6th - Have questions

Surgery Monday !! Having a TVH with urethral sling, and anterior/posterior repairs. My doc says I can leave the same day, but I have my doubts. Is that really possible? Advisable? I am so worried about the pain. Also, I was hoping to see the anesthesiologist at my pre op appointment yesterday so I could discuss my options. I think I want to go with a spinal with IV sedation. Does anyone have any advice or opinions to share with me? I love this site. Such support and encouragement found here--- sisters helping sisters!!
I am an RN with 20 years of experience, including OR, pre- and post-op, and critical care. I know how to take care of a patient going thru this , but I don't know how to BE that patient. Having knowledge of the things that could potentially go wrong,and taking care of people who have had complications, is causing my mind to keep returning to the "what if's". I know it's stupid. I can't tell you how much you all have helped me. Reading your stories and advice has helped me immensely. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-04-2012, 03:30 PM
Re: Surgery Aug 6th - Have questions

Hi, I had a Dvh converted to TAH due to complications from a prior surgery. Plus bladder sling and a general surgeon was called in to clean up adhesions and fix kinks in my small intestine. There's no way I could have gone home same day!!! It can happen sometimes with a Dvh but even if mine had gone as planned I would have been there overnight.

As it was, I had a rough time with pain in my intestines so I was lucky to go home we'd afternoon. I have been doing well since then.

For pain, they gave me an epidural, thank god!, just in case. I'm so glad my doctor planned for the unexpected!!

I'm a prime example why that is a good idea.

Good luck to you!

Diane
Unread 08-05-2012, 08:03 AM

I had the works and went home the next day but I don't think you could go home the same day because of pain management (had the wonderful morphine pump!) and won't you be cathetrized?

They took my catheter out the next day mid-morning and I had to be able to pass a certain amount of urine before I could leave. Your bladder is really wonky after all that abuse, anesthesia and pain meds so it's tough to pass urine.

Also, will your doc do a sacral colpopexy? My urogyno said it is necessary to prevent future vaginal vault prolapse after the uterus is gone. She said the vagina can turn inside out like a sock (prolapse) without the support of the sacral colpopexy procedure. I don't want to scare you or anything....just make sure to ask about that and do some research on your own.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-05-2012, 02:17 PM

Thank you ladies for the replies and advice. I am really having doubts now. My surgeon isn't known for her bedside manner ------ in fact, I found a lot of complaints about that very thing on the Internet. She offered minimal details about what she planned to do. I have a gut feeling though that there is no way I will be going home the same day. That's fine with me! I have my concerns regarding my pain level and bladder function. Thank you again--- I appreciate all your help!
Unread 08-05-2012, 02:40 PM

I got a very detailed list of all the Fixes my doctor planned, alternates if she ran into trouble, etc. make sure to get the details you need. Chances are if you come in with specific questions from your research she will be pushed tho give answers. My pain management was fabulous with the morphine pump. My sister told me I would just be warm and comfortably relaxed and I was. But still able to stand up that evening, eat some fiber,etc.

My breast cancer surgeon was an ***** but an excellent surgeon so I guess the bedside manner is secondary but very appreciated if they have it!
Unread 08-05-2012, 03:18 PM

I went home 3 1/2 hrs after getting back to my room. Pain management was awesome!!! I needed stronger meds the next day but my doc was very quick to handle this.

I do second what was said before. It's your body and you have the right to know what the plan is.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register