Surprised at how weak I am | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surprised at how weak I am Surprised at how weak I am

Unread 04-05-2007, 10:06 AM
Surprised at how weak I am

I'm one week and one day post op. Before the surgery, I worked out 30 minutes, 5 days a week (Leslie Sansone Walk Away the Pounds videos - 2 mile walks). Yesterday was my first time outdoors since arriving home last Thursday. I walked around the yard twice, holding hands with hubby to help steady myself. I felt lightheaded and winded and ready to sit down.

This morning, I decided to try and walk to the mailbox to get an important letter in the mail (my son is in U.S. Coast Guard recruit training). It's about one-tenth of a mile to my mailbox, partially uphill. I wasn't 50 ft. up the driveway, and was already winded. I walked two-tenths of a mile, and actually wondered if I would make it back inside the house before I gave out.

I despise this feeling of being incapable of doing even the simplest things. I'm normally a very strong, physically active person, and am not doing very well at allowing my body to heal with time.

Thanks for listening...this was mostly a pity party.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-05-2007, 10:17 AM

We're all entitled to our pity parties!!!! You're only 1 week post op, you've got to give your body time to heal. You have your insides pushed, shoved, rearranged and you're going to tire easily. I know the feeling about being active...I have a 4 year old that is constantly on the go! You have to allow yourself time to heal...it's not going to happen overnight.

Best wishes

Wendy
Unread 04-05-2007, 10:22 AM

Oh, wistful, I'm sorry your having a rough time. Please be patient with yourself. This is such a shock to our bodies. It takes time and rest to heal up. I'm sending a prayer and a hug your way!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-05-2007, 11:36 AM

Hey wistful,

I was also a daily walker (1 hour/day/6 days/wk). I had to "start over", walking 5 minutes at a time each hour I was awake. If you were used to a very disciplined, regular exercise routine, then do that now, post-op, at whatever level you are capable of without overdoing. Start really slow, and keep a record of how long you walk, and how often. As you get stronger, add a few minutes to the length of your walking time.

If you keep a notebook of your progress, you will be able to see that you are improving. It's also interesting to keep a journal of your general progress, how you were feeling on a particular day, any strange or uncomfortable symptoms that you might need to ask your doc about.

It's good for you to walk - it helps all your body functions to work better, and helps you to heal faster. Just do it within your post-op limits and gradually work back up to your pre-surgery levels. Keeping a record of your times and/or distances, no matter how short, will help you see your progression back to your pre-surgery fitness level, and also help you focus on doing it gradually so that you don't hurt yourself. In between your walking sessions, be sure to REST.

Good luck.
Unread 04-05-2007, 11:54 AM

Just be patient...it will all come back with time. I am very active too and it was a real struggle for me to be patient and let myself heal.

God bless your quick recovery,

Patti
Unread 04-05-2007, 12:30 PM

One of the worst things you can tell an avid runner or walker is, "stop and rest." Recovery from major surgery like this is really difficult if you are used to being physically active.

Gradually ease back into a routine...this, too, shall pass and you'll be yourself again. Good luck. Hang in there. I enjoyed being invited to your party!! LOL
Unread 04-05-2007, 12:36 PM

Due to serious complications, I was just going home from the hospital on my 8th day post-op! I was told that it might be up to 12 weeks before would be released to go back to work. So I really, really took care of myself and was able to go back right after my 6 week check-up. Just take it extremely slow. I've had friends who have had a vaginal take longer to heal and get their strength back than some who have had a abdominal. We are all different. Just don't let anyone tell you what you should be doing by now. Listen to your body.
Unread 04-05-2007, 01:23 PM

Hi wistful ... glad to find another sister who does Leslie Sansone's Walk Away The Pounds videos. Aren't they great! I was doing 3 miles a day right up until my surgery last week. I am dying to get back into my routine and was considering trying a 1 Mile Walk today. But it wore me out so much to take a shower that I had to head straight back to bed. Not today.

I actually felt better last week than this week as far as stamina goes. I thought week #2 would be better than week #1, but it's worse. I'm not talking about pain, that's pretty much gone, but I am exhausted constantly.

It certainly helps to know I'm not the only one ... hopefully we'll be back walking soon!
Unread 04-05-2007, 03:02 PM

Wistful,
I know exactly how you feel. I am a runner, do step aerobics and love my spinning classes.

A few days after surgery, I was up to 3/4 mile walking with my husband and could hear myself breathing hard...I mean really huffing and puffing. I am now a little over 2 weeks post op and walking 3 miles (still a little huffing and puffing).

I know it is going to be slow go until I am right back at it, but I have to tell myself be patient; this was major surgery.

Just tell yourself all of this is temporary. Let your body heal and you will be back to your long walks in no time!

Hope all goes well with you.

Kim
Unread 04-05-2007, 03:02 PM

You are still early into recovery, so just relax. Remember, just little jaunts everyday.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register