progesterone to treat fibroids? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

progesterone to treat fibroids? progesterone to treat fibroids?

Unread 05-05-2001, 01:30 PM
progesterone to treat fibroids?

Well, I had a trip to the castle for a hysteroscopy and d/c on May 2. DD called today and said the path. report was normal, and what is causing all my bleeding must be my fibroids. I was actually dissappointed! I was hoping to get this thing out! She now wants to try a few rounds of progesterone to see if that helps my bleeding. I have done some searching of the site on this, but have not come up with alot, anyone have a similar experience, and did the progesterone help or just delay the inevitable. I really wanted to get this taken care of over the summer, as it's the only time of year I can get help for my barn! Sue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-05-2001, 05:56 PM
Hi Sue!

I was never treated for fibroids, but I have a link that has alot of great information.

http://thefibroidplace.com/

The music on the site is nice, too!

I hope this helps you!

{{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}}

kaatie
Unread 05-05-2001, 10:15 PM

Hi Sue,
I was put on progestin (Aygestin) to try to control my bleeding. I was on month 2 of continuous bleeding when my dd tried me on 4 bcp's per day to try to stop it and when that didn't work, I went on Aygestin (I had become anemic at that point). It DID NOT help me at all. I was on 4 Aygestin pills per day and it didn't touch my bleeding. I have also seen women post saying it didn't do anything for them. I was also given a shot of depot Lupron and that didn't help either. I think my case was extreme because I was bleeding day after day after day for 3 months straight until my hyst.

Of course, everyone is different and it may work for you. I guess because my body had been through so many hormones so quickly, it just shut down and I'm guessing resisted all hormones then. My path. report said my uterus was "not normal looking" due to excessive hormones.

Good luck to you and let us know what happens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-10-2001, 07:16 AM

Hi,

I was put on progesterone-only birth control bills to help my bleeding for probable fibroids. I bled for 3 weeks straight...not heavy though. I was switched to low-dose regular bcp's and have stopped bleeding completely and feel good. My new doc thinks I should just stay on them all the time with no break for a period...ever. My old doc said that won't work and that I'll bleed eventually. Time will tell....

Karey
Unread 05-10-2001, 11:03 AM

Hi Karey, I'm the opposite. I've been on bcp's to control my bleeding, sometimes 2 a day! Although they have helped my periods for many years,about 13, they now seem to have stopped working. From what I've heard here and researched myself, I think I'm leaning toward not trying the progesteron, especially progestin, which seems to make everythjing worse. I have an appt. with DD May 16, to talk all this over. At this point I'm leaning towards hyster, I'm 44, and ready to get this over with! Good luck, BCP's can help for a long time, although I hear they can make fibroids grow. Sue
Unread 05-13-2001, 11:00 PM

My situation might have been different, but they put me on birth control pills in December to stop my periods and I was on two pills a day and bled every day until my surgery on January 30. They really wanted me to stop bleeding before surgery because I was getting a bit anaemic. My friend was on progesterin for just bleeding for a year and it never stopped it but her doctors never tried to find out why she was bleeding before her hyst.
Unread 05-24-2001, 12:49 PM

I too have had a D&C and hysteroscopy because of heavy bleeding. Didn't help at all! My bleeding is caused by a large fibroid. I first was put on Progestron for three months. Didn't help at all! I had a lot of break through bleeding and spotting between periods. The first month I was on Progestron was the worst period I have ever had! Terrible cramping and very heavy bleeding and clotting. Last month I started on Aygestin and my last period was bad but not as bad as before. I have not had any break through bleeding or spotting this month! However, I just went for another ultrasound and found that my fibroid has grown from 4.1 cm last month to 5.5 cm this month!

I'm with you, I'm about ready to get this overwith once and for all!

Good luck to you!
Unread 05-24-2001, 04:33 PM

Hi CLB, Here's an update about me! I went for my checkup after d+c, hysteroscopy, on May 16. I did alot of reading on the web about progesterone therapy and decided I didn't want to try it. I was afraid she would give me a hard time! I told her, Look, I have no emotional attachment to my uterus!! She started to laugh . Said "I guess you want a hyserectomy." Yipppeee...I have a date at the castle for June 18, for TAH. She left the ovary decision up to me, I'm still struggling a little with that one, I think I'll keep them, I'm 44 and they seem to working okay. Hope everything works out well for you! Cyber hugs.....Sue
Unread 05-24-2001, 08:01 PM

Hi Sue,

I thought by the time I got back from vacation you'd be running (oops, hyster shuffling) circles around me (just teasing, of course). I'm sorry to hear you're still having problems. I'm just a few miles away from you, in Stuart, if you need anything, please get in touch with me. I have a few more days before my surgery, so I can still get out and about. Your June 18th date will be here before you know it, hang in there! hugsss.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register