strange odor and heavy bleeding | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

strange odor and heavy bleeding strange odor and heavy bleeding

Unread 07-16-2008, 08:58 PM
strange odor and heavy bleeding

Hi all. I had a TVH with a bladder and rectum tuck, as well as vaginal wall repair and an episiotomy on June 30th.

All was going as expected until this weekend when I developed a UTI. I got started on Tylenol and an antibiotic, when a few hours later I started bleeding fairly heavy. I had been having a light discharge which was dark brown (with a slight odor from the stitches, I believe). This new discharge was bright red with a foul odor. I hate to be graphic, but it was like an old outhouse...ammonia and sulphur-like. Ugh.

I got an appointment with the physician's assistant the next day, even though the bleeding had really slowed down, and she checked me and said it was just the stitches dissolving at two weeks. A bit later at the drugstore, I felt a huge "gush" of blood (thought I was peeing myself for a minute!) and the horrible smell made my daughter accuse me of passing gas while I ran for the bathroom there. I've had a few more minor "gushes" since, but it's slowed down. I haven't exerted myself...just pretty much stay on the couch, read, drink iced tea, and walk around the house and maybe fold some clothes. A little driving, that's it.

Has anyone had this happen before? What do you think?
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-16-2008, 09:15 PM

Okay please call your doctors after hour number. The gushes could mean you are hemorrhaging. The reason I know that is what it could mean is I had to have a second surgery because of gushing. Let us know how you are doing. Take care and rest well.
Happy healing
Unread 07-16-2008, 09:27 PM

I did have a funny smell for the first two weeks whenever I tinkle and had a BM. I assume it was from all of the medication that was pump in me before surgery and after. I didn't worry too much because it did go away. And my bleeding didn't really start until I was moving around more and it was very light from an orange to a bright red color. My doctor's nurse told me it was from where my stitches were healing and that I probably was doing too much, which was true. She advised that I should take it easy. You're only two weeks post op and this is the time when our bodies are healing on the inside. But it shouldn't have you gushing out blood. You should give your doctor another call.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-16-2008, 10:04 PM

Please call you doc NOW!!!! you should not be gushing at any time
Unread 07-17-2008, 08:39 AM

Thanks so much sisters! I will definitely call the doctor today.

Although I am not bleeding as much (it's like the last few days of a period), I am having moments when it's a "light" gush, when I can feel it coming out, unlike periods I had before. My abdomen doesn't really hurt, just once in a while a little twisting type of feeling or pulling. And, thank goodness, the smell is much better. Maybe it was so overwhelming because of the amount. My friend said it was probably old blood and stitches dissolving, kind of a back-pool of stuff. Gross, huh?!

Thanks again and good recovery to everyone!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register