Those that had Laproscopic Hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Those that had Laproscopic Hysterectomy Those that had Laproscopic Hysterectomy

Unread 06-28-2006, 07:12 PM
Those that had Laproscopic Hysterectomy

What were you lifting restrictions and for how long? When were you told you could be back to household chores. I keep being told by family that with it being all laproscopic they thought I should be able to do whatever in a week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-28-2006, 07:26 PM

Hi!
I was allowed to drive after two weeks but I was not allowed to lift for 6 weeks. I did go back to work in two weeks but my doctor would only allow me to return to work with a strict "no lifting" restriction.
I did very light housework after four weeks. With a LAVH it is not totally laproscopic and since part of the surgery is vaginal it requires more healing.
Unread 06-28-2006, 07:40 PM

No lifting more than a gallon of milk until my 6 week check up. I've been doing "light" housework-- no vacuuming or sweeping, minimal stretching and bending since about 2 weeks I'd say. I am taking 6 weeks off work-- 4 probably would have been plenty, but .... Who knew for sure?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-28-2006, 07:58 PM

Hi there! My LAVH was just one day after yours. I can not believe how great I feel just after one week. My doctor told me no driving for 2 weeks and no lifting more than a gallon of milk for 2 weeks. I have my post op check at 4 weeks when I assume I will be released as long as the "cuff" is healed. He never really said how much was ok to lift after the two weeks. I assume no more than you are comfortable with.

I am not working at the moment, but we are moving in 6 weeks (Ill be 7 weeks post op then) and Im hoping to be able to do some light moving, but I won't be offering to help with the big stuff and dh has already told me I won't be allowed to.
Unread 06-28-2006, 08:04 PM

Just want to remind you that although our recovery seems quicker than with an abdominal incision, the healing time on the inside is the same for all of us, so be very careful. My doctor said no lifting, bending or "sex" for at least 8 weeks. Take care.
Unread 06-28-2006, 08:29 PM

Stephanie...

Maybe you should have your family members read the "Checkpoints" area of this site. You are really very early still in your recovery, and must be careful!

I'm sorry if your family is not being as supportive as they should be. Don't cave in to the pressure, though! You could be out of commission for a *lot* longer if you don't let yourself heal properly.

Unread 06-28-2006, 09:45 PM

I had an LSH on June 21. This was totally laprascopic and only my uterus was removed. I have done very light housework, mostly just straightening up. I haven't been bending, and only do a few minutes at a time. I cooked hamburgers tonight and washed just a few dishes. I am tuned in to what my body tells me, and I know when to quit. I have also done some laundry. I have a hanger that I have stretched out and use the hook end to pick up clothes from the floor. My family has been good to help (when I ask). I have had no problems so far. I know it may sound like a lot, but it really isn't.
Unread 06-28-2006, 09:46 PM

Oh, yeah. I was told not to lift over 10 lbs. And I think my restriction on driving is 2 weeks. I go for my follow up appt. on July 10.
Unread 06-28-2006, 10:00 PM

Nothing over 10lbs, I did try and mop the kitchen floor but got some pain after with slight bleeding. I am ok now,so I won't be trying that again.
I have been have been having gas pains again so I am just trying to get past that.
I did try to drive tonight but only felt comfortable for a short time, so I won't be rushing into that yet either.
Unread 06-28-2006, 10:45 PM

My dr said nothing over 5lbs and didn't say when I could lift since I don't see him again till my 6 week check I'm not taking a chance on undoing any of his doing. I'm sure if you call your drs office they can tell you what he suggest. I had it written on my discharge papers from the hospital as I wasn't thinking clear enough to remember every thing they told me. Dont do too much and listen to your body, your dr and not the pressure of the outside. When we do too much we slow our healing down and no one wants the set backs that can happen. When in doubt always call your dr, and if the family doubts have the dr write it down for you and hang it on the fridge. Its seems that many people think as long as it came out "down there" it's nothing major and they are wrong it's major surgery and it takes time to heal. Just cause you can't see the stitches doesn't mean they don't exsist.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register