still heavy menstrual bleeding 3 months post-myomectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

still heavy menstrual bleeding 3 months post-myomectomy still heavy menstrual bleeding 3 months post-myomectomy

Unread 12-22-2008, 12:36 PM
still heavy menstrual bleeding 3 months post-myomectomy

Hi,

I am 41 years old and had an abdominal myomectomy three months ago (Sept 08) and the surgeon successfully removed an 11cm intramural fibroid. (I had a UAE one year prior to the myomectomy and the UAE had failed.) Although I had this 11cm fibroid for 9 years, I have never had heavy bleeding symptoms. My menses have been completely normal every 29 days and light to medium lasting 3-5 days. I run daily and my periods have always been so light I have been able to run on the heaviest menstrual day.

However, last March 08, I all of a sudden started to bleed heavily during my menses. My periods were extremely heavy and would last for 10 days. This is why I decided to have the abdominal myomectomy. All the gyns I saw said I was bleeding heavily because of this fibroid. Now, the fibroid has been removed and I am 3 months post-op and I am still bleeding heavily during my menses. In fact, my periods are now worse than before the myomectomy. They now last for 2 weeks and my cycles have shortened to every 25-26 days. This doesn't leave many bleed-free days.

I was wondering if anyone here has had continued heavy menstrual bleeding despite having had a successful myomectomy? How did you proceed? What treatments did you follow up with?

I had an endometrial biopsy in September 2006 but did not have one before the myomectomy. I am scheduled for a hysteroscopy and biopsy next month and am now beginning to worry that perhaps the bleeding is a result of malignancy. However, I have heard that women with endometrial cancer will usually bleed intermittently throughout the cycle (as the malignant cells shed the lining) as opposed to having heavy or prolonged menstrual cycles. Is there any truth to this?

My gyn presently wants me to have a hysteroscopy and a D&C. He believes that the lining has been disturbed from my previous UAE and that the D&C will clear everything out and give my uterine lining a chance to rebuild. Of course, the biopsy will hopefully rule out any other causes such as malignancy, infection, inflammation, pathology. I'm unsure about having a D&C. Have any women here had a D&C to deal with heavy bleeding? What has been your experience?

Ammuni
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-23-2008, 06:49 AM
still heavy menstrual bleeding 3 months post-myomectomy

I had a D&C 11/19 I had light flow for 2 weeks then a little more presumably my period that last a couple of days then resolved. The D&C was performed along with an emergency lap for ovarian cyst. They also removed endometriosis and performed a hysteroscopy with polyp removal.
Prior to the surgery I was in the process of being worked up for pelvic pain with heavy prolonged menses. US show a thickened endometrial lining.

So to answer your question the D&C appears to have reduced the flow, but not the pain from adenomyosis.

Have you had ultrasounds ect?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register