scar issue | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 08-15-2006, 12:55 PM
scar issue

I was wondering if there is anything I should be putting on my scar now (4 weeks post op) to help it fade. I have seen some advertisements on this website, but not sure what to invest my money in. Has anyone had any luck with that? Thanks for any help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-15-2006, 01:06 PM
scar issue

Hi! A lot of women use vitamin E capsules (puncture them with a pin and squeeze the oil out) to massage into their scar. It's really, really important, however, that you check with your doc first. Everyone is different and your doc might have a different suggestion for you.

It's early in the week and it would probably be easy to get in touch with your doc through his/her nurse to see what you should be using.

I hope you find a good solution for you! IMHO I think a lot of the products work about the same because if something was REALLY great for getting rid of scars we'd all know about it.
Unread 08-15-2006, 10:58 PM
scar issue

I alternate between Neosporin cream and Vitamin E oil (which can be bought inexpensively from either a health food store or a beautician store like "Sally's." My scar is already fading.

Please give the nurse a call at your doctor's office before using either of these on your scar, tho.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-16-2006, 06:52 AM
scar issue

Me Doc prescribed Mederma for my scar....I used it faithfully for a while, then got lazy..but my scar does look very good, not too visible.
Unread 08-16-2006, 06:54 AM
scar issue

By the way, you can buy it (Mederma) over the counter, about $20 at Wal Mart...it's a little pricey, but it does work! Ask your Doctor before you use anything though!
Unread 08-16-2006, 07:31 AM
scar issue

I too am 4 weeks post-op today and my doctor told me to apply lotion to the scar. I have been doing this since the stiches have come out. There is also a product out that is a silcone gel sheet (Cica-Care Gel Sheet) that will smooth out the scar and take the redness out within 2 months. It is a bit pricy (45.00 for 12 x 15 cm sheet) but is reusuable. I had a tummy tuck done along w/my hyst so this is something the plastic surgeon recommended. I just started this yesterday, so not sure how well it works just yet, but thought its worth a try. I believe there are also less expensive options out there as well, you might want to call your doctor and ask what he might suggest.
Unread 08-16-2006, 08:39 AM
scar issue

My doc suggested vitamin E gel, I also just puncture the capsuls. I do that 2-3 times a day since week 3 and my scar looks great...no redness. Please check with doc before using this though.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register