Hysterectomy For Endemetrosis | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy For Endemetrosis Hysterectomy For Endemetrosis

Unread 03-03-2005, 07:33 AM
Hysterectomy For Endemetrosis

I have severe endemetrosis - long and very heavy clotting periods. I've had 2 D&C's done. My GYN put me on Provera (10mg for 10 days a mth) to see if it would put me into a normal cycle with less bleeding. Provera didn't work. Now he wants to schedule me for a complete hysterectomy the end of this month. I'll be 50 and he wants to remove the ovaries also. I've been doing a lot of research and can't seem to find anyone that has had a complete hysterectomy because of heavy, long periods. I don't have cancer, fibroids, tumors etc. Is there anyone that is or has gone through what I'm about to go through?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-03-2005, 08:07 AM

Hi Greenfield-

You're not alone. I'm dealing with the same thing. Severe endo and am going to see my dr on the 8th to schedule a hyster. I'm only 30 and am going to try to keep my ovaries (at least 1 of them) so I don't get thrown into menopause. I've had servere side affects from the meds to try to control this thing. Have you had a lap done for the endo? (not sure if the d & c is the same thing?) That seems to help out a lot of women. I had that done last year but it only lasted for 3 months.

The only thing with having a hyster for endo it doesn't work all the time. It may or may not work for you. I'm at the point that I'm willing to try it. I'm tired a just can't deal with this disease anymore. It's completely taken over my life, and I'm ready to fight back.

I heard from many women that's it worked, and then there's the others that they still have the symtoms. In the end it's always up to you and what you are ready for.

Good luck with your decision. I just wanted to let you know you are not alone. There are so many women out there in the same position as us.

Melisa
Unread 03-03-2005, 08:39 AM
I had it done

Dear Greenfield,

I am 9 days out from my hyster for the same reason. I suffered for almost 8 years before they found endo. In fact it was found last April when I had the left O removed because my dr thought it may be cancer. Then Last tuesady I had my hyst.

I had terrible periods with bleeding and spent much time in the bed with them. I had reached a point to where I did not know if my period would be every 2 weeks or if it would be a normal cycle.

I am very glad I had the hyst done even with only 9 days out I feel better than I have in a very very long time.

I know this is so scary for you, but I can tell you I am so glad I had the hyst done and stage 4 endo has been removed.

best wishes
Rhonda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-03-2005, 08:40 AM

Personally, I would get a second opinion. I have done a fair amount of research and a hysterectomy is the last resort, IMO. I also have endometriosis, and was fortunate that a laproscropic surgery in which they lasered the adhesions in my abdomen (that's what was causing the pain for me) along with a cycle of synerel (a drug that withholds estrogen) for six months and it worked for me for 10 years. See, it's the estrogen that causes that tissue (which is outside your uterus) so bleed each month, thus causing the pain. So, if you truly think a hysterectomy is your only option, then you need the ovaries gone too. Again, just my opinion and I'm certainly not a doctor! But I'd get a 2nd, 3th and 4th opinion just to make sure every doctor concurs.

As I aged, my bleeding became heavy/clotting because my uterus was thickening so we were going to do an MEA (microwave endometrial ablation) in which the lining of the uterus is removed. This is a new procedure, quick and easy and has a wonderful success rate. Not sure if it would have helped with my endometrial pain from the tissue outside my uterus, but I figured I could deal with that if I didn't have the heavy bleeding as well. Unfortunately, a biopsy of some polyps discovered some precancerous cells, so a TAH/BSO is now required.

Good luck to you with your decision, I know how awful you are feeling and hope you find something that will give you relief soon.

MEA
Unread 03-03-2005, 08:50 AM

Hello Greenfield,

I too suffered from long, hard, painful periods with lots of huge clots. The pain was often so bad that my dh would have to pick me up off the floor. I would not wish the pains of endo on my worst enemy-of course I have none. I had my TAH/BSO on Aug 30 of last year and I never thought I would be this happy! I don't know how well you tolerate pain, but I had been in pain for so long until after coming home I needed less medication than I did before going to the castle. My procedure took about five to six hours due to the severity of the endo, however, 80% of my pain is gone. I can handle the 20% at this point. I am excercising and have lost 20lbs. I feel great now that I can enjoy my family again. My thoughts and prayers are with you. I know when you are in pain it is some times hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel. This sight helped me get to this point. No one else understands better than those who are going through the same situations! I so believe in sisterhood
Unread 03-03-2005, 09:26 AM

Dear Greenfield,
I am going through the same thing myself!! Booked in for a TAH/BSO on 21st march. I have had endo for 22yrs, but have been blessed with four lovely children, so I guess I am very lucky. I am in terrible pain for the first 2 weeks of my cycle when the pain gradually goes, but then I flood so badly with my period I cant go out for three days. I have just seen the gyne ( months of waiting here in the UK on NHS) to discover I also have a fibroid, so out it all comes. I have only just discovered this site and already I feel better about the op, I know that with some people it doesn't cure the endo but you get to a point where you are willing to take the risk, I hope you can come to a decision that is best for you, I'll let you all know after the op if I improve, I certainly cant get any worse!
Take care, Jan from the UK xx
Unread 03-03-2005, 10:06 AM
hyst for endo

I USED to suffer from endo. As soon as a hyst I felt SO better. The only regret I had was not getting it done soon. I was in so much pain for so long that my recovery from the hyst has been so easy! I had TAH. I was a person who did lots of research and was torn. I did the Lupron shots...which are horrible...don't let anyone talk you into taking those shots! At the end of the day I'm happy that I had the hyst. I feel great And my sex drive is the best EVER!!!

shorty 75

Unread 03-03-2005, 10:12 AM
THANK YOU

Shorty 75-

Thank you for your post. It's nice too hear good outcomes when it comes to endo.

maj809
Unread 03-03-2005, 10:19 AM

really great to hear such a positive outcome, hadn't really thought about the sex drive, have been in so much pain, or bleeding for so long, forgotten what sex drive is!! haha, My consultant made me laugh, when we decided the best thing was hysterectomy, he looked me staight in the eye and said, exactly what do you use for contraception at the moment, cant have you turning up for surgery pregnant, I replied that the endo and bleeding was all I was using, my gyne is a man ,you may have guessed, take care and keep posting these messages, still three weeks to go, ugh!! Love Jan from the UK
Unread 03-06-2005, 12:17 PM
hysterectomy for endometriosis

hi i am in the same position i am having TAH april 21, was supposed to be march 1, but due to cut backs , my op got cancelled if you live in the UK you will know what i mean !! i am having my ovaries taken as well, but have been told as i have endo, i will not be given HRT until the gynae is sure all the endo has gone, oh well have put up with this for 12 years what does a few more months matter wishing you all the very best for your operations, wishing you all speedy recoveries best wishes julie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register