Burning Sensation | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Burning Sensation Burning Sensation

Unread 10-20-2007, 11:05 AM
Burning Sensation

I had an abdominal hysterectomy 10 days ago. Over the last 3 or 4 days I have had a burning sensation on the lower right hand side no where near the incision. My doctor is on vacation and won't be back until Monday. It is especially sensitive today. I can't stand for more than 2 minutes and it is too painful and the only relief is to lay perfectly horizontal. I am guessing that I have over done it by standing for too long.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-20-2007, 11:16 AM
Burning Sensation

phoenixphaery:

I'm sorry that you're having such discomfort! I hope some rest will help. I remember having a burning sensation at times during the early part of my recovery (TAH/BSO - June 28). I do remember that it increased when I was more active, and calmed down when I was horzontal. I was told that this would happen off and on for the first few months as the nerves that were cut began to heal. My burning pain wasn't extreme, and walking seemed to also help keep my muscles loose, my gastro-intestinal system regular and happy, and to work out some of the soreness. My doctor advised me to listen to my body -- rest when I needed it.

I'd encourage you to call your doctor's office if you're really worried. They should have someone on call who can help you judge whether your symptoms are something to be concerned about or not. I had some post-op oozing (seroma) from my incision and was terrified of infection. I called my doctor a couple of times during the first few weeks, and it really helped my peace of mind. I felt guilty calling, but the wonderful ladies here on hystersisters helped me remember that it's the doctor's job!

I hope you feel better soon!

Dawn
Unread 10-20-2007, 11:38 AM
Burning Sensation

I too had a TAH, I had my TAH in May and still get some pulling, tugging, burning, tingling and just plain pain in and around my belly. My left side has taken longer to heal. All of this is usually because the nerves in stomach have been cut and will take months before they "ground" again. Your stomach muscles, nerves and the such have been cut into two and they have to reattach in a different spots. Meanwhile your body is confused and sending messages is wrong areas. For example, around week 4 or 5 I could touch the left side and feel it on the right side. I was so scared that something was wrong, but everything is fine now. Some things I tried for the burning was lying down with ice on my belly. This helps with "swelly belly" and its soothing. You can also use a heat pad to loosen the muscles and then massage the area with Vit-E and then use the ice and finally REST lots of rest will help you recover. When your body is telling you to stop or is sending messages of pain, burning, ect... that is a sign to stop and rest. As I said before I had my hyst in May and I am still healing. The doctors tell you it will be a 6 week recovery but that only means back on your feet, back to work, being off med's and so on. I have been told it will take around a year before I become my "new" normal and am understanding that statement.

Hope that's helpful and good luck to your recovery!
Lila
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-20-2007, 11:47 AM
Burning Sensation

I have a burning pain on my left side above my incision. It's almost like a hot poker being stabbed through my belly. It comes and goes...although it's coming a bit more often within the last 24 hours. It's not a broad pain, just a very fine sharp burning.

If it's not better Monday I'll think about calling the office.

Good luck to you!
Unread 10-20-2007, 12:28 PM
Burning Sensation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Knit
I have a burning pain on my left side above my incision. It's almost like a hot poker being stabbed through my belly. It comes and goes...although it's coming a bit more often within the last 24 hours. It's not a broad pain, just a very fine sharp burning.

If it's not better Monday I'll think about calling the office.

Good luck to you!
I can almost guarantee your doctor will say it's your nerves. I had the same feeling, if I rubbed the area it would get better. you could try that. But you may want to call your doctor for reasurance.
Good luck to your recovery.
Unread 10-20-2007, 01:13 PM
Burning Sensation

If I lay perfectly horizontal the pain goes away completely and if I stand it is unbearable.

I get the message, LOL. Off my feet

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register