Recovery time? (children mentioned) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Recovery time? (children mentioned) Recovery time? (children mentioned)

Unread 01-01-2008, 10:31 PM
Recovery time? (children mentioned)

I go in for surgery on Friday, and I am FRAZZLED to say the least! My DH has taken 4 days off, and I have found someone to help with childcare of my 1.5 and 2.5 year olds while he is at work. However, I don't know how long I'll need help. My doc said 2 weeks, then reconsidered and said 4. We're not really in the position financially to hire someone for 4 weeks, but I will if need be. I'll be having a LAVH/RSO. Anyone have any insight?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-01-2008, 11:16 PM

Everyone heals differently and you won't know how you are going to heal until you are actually in recovery. With children as young as yours it may be very difficult to handle on your own and you don't want to over do it causing complications that could turn the recommended 4 weeks into longer. You will most likely not be able to pick up the kids for at least 6 weeks. You may feel fine after a couple weeks, but please be cautious that you don't hinder your recovery. It is a VERY tough choice, but you do have to take the time for you to heal properly.

Do you have some friends or family that may be able to help out?
Unread 01-02-2008, 09:27 AM

I think two weeks is optimistic. I had a TLH and used Vicodin everyday for 3-4 weeks. I couldn't imagine caring for two small children while using Vicodin. Luckily, my daughter is six years old and able to do most things by herself. I only helped her with homework and had good snuggle time (both while laying on the couch). Also, the pain meds could give you a false sense of healing and cause you to over-do it and do damage. I would highly suggest you have someone assisting you 24/7 for at least 3-4 weeks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-02-2008, 10:41 AM

I am going to the castle on Monday the 7th of Jan for TLH and bladder sling, and A&P repair. I am a clinical instructor for a surgical technology program and we will be starting clinical on the 22nd. Am I being a little to hasty on trying to go back to work so soon? My Doc says I should be fine. I will have to walk but I do have the option to sit down and prop my feet several times a day if I need to. It is only three days a week... yes I am getting a little nervous about the surgery just because I remember how bad I felt when I woke up from having a laparascopic gall bladder surgery and the pain from the gas. How bad is it/ Please do not sugar coat for me... I CAN HANDLE THE TRUTH!!! haha
Unread 01-02-2008, 11:36 AM

I had a 3-year-old ds at the time of my surgery.... I was not allowed to lift him for my entire 6-week recovery period.

About all I could really do with him was snuggle on the couch and watch movies. My dd (16) and dh did all other chores (bathing, feeding, getting clothes on and off, etc.) -- and my ds was in daycare, so they only cared for him morning and night!

IMHO, it will be very, very difficult for you to care for these small children alone for any length of time. Even leaving the lifting alone for a moment, you are not going to be very tired and you may not feel well at all for a period of time. And this isn't something you can push.

I know it's tempting to say, "I'll be OK..." and then do what you shouldn't do. I also understand how hard it is NOT to pick up and carry that baby around.... But this is too important for that. This is no time to wear that cape.

I think you should consider having longer-term care... or at least some daycare for the children. Or is there a neighbor or relative who would be willing to swap babysitting now for some chores later on when you're healed? Just a thought.

to you. I hope you get good help soon.
Unread 01-02-2008, 01:15 PM

HI,
I go in on Monday the 7th for TAH/BSO with the removal of lymph nodes and appendix and the doctor told me at my pre surgery appointment to discuss treatment options that I am looking at 6-8 week recovery. I have a 3 year old and he said I will not be able to lift more then 5lbs for the first week and no more then 15lbs for the following 2-4 weeks. (my daughter weighs 32lbs) We do have my daughter in daycare so that will help a bit. I also have a 17 year old son who will be as helpful as a 17 year old can be. You can talk to the hospital patient advocate they might have a list of volunteers to help in this type of situation. I wish you the best, i am getting so nervous eek....
Unread 01-02-2008, 08:33 PM

I would be concerned about the weight of the younger child (I'm assuming that you can avoid lifting the older child for a few weeks). My doc has me restricted to not lifting more than 12 pounds for the first 6 weeks. I am now 4.5 weeks post-op, and I honestly can't lift anything more than about 5 pounds.

I can say that I am truly grateful that I do not to take care of little ones. My youngest is 15 and is special needs. I was grateful that my 22 yr-old was able to stay with us and take care of getting him off to school in the mornings. I wasn't able to do that for myself until about 2 weeks post-op.

At the very least, I would suggest finding an agency (ahead of time) that can provide a caregiver to help out on just a day's notice if need-be. Although my son had morning transportation provided by another parent, I researched alternatives ahead of time just in case the carpool flaked (they were prone to flaking).

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register