extremely sharp stabbing pains on my left side ~ any ideas? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

extremely sharp stabbing pains on my left side ~ any ideas? extremely sharp stabbing pains on my left side ~ any ideas?

Unread 05-19-2008, 09:34 AM
extremely sharp stabbing pains on my left side ~ any ideas?

First time user. Very supportive to see everyones comments / questions. I had my TAH on May 2. I was up and out in 2 days. No problems with pee or poop! However, after 2 weeks I am still having extremely sharp stabbing pains on my left side. My doc said to sleep on the other side of the bed - maybe I strained a stitch internally. Has anyone had this happen. Also, now I feel like I have a ulcer! I've always been in great shape and good health. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-19-2008, 02:44 PM

bolla

I'm so sorry you're experiencing this pain but you'll find you're not alone and I hope some ladies will be along soon to share.

If you've not done so already, it may help you to check out our <link> Post-Op Page which is packed with information. Also, please don't hesitate to contact your doctor again if you're at all concerned or it doesn't improve.

Sending all good wishes and I hope you're feeling alot better very soon!

Unread 05-19-2008, 03:01 PM

Hi bolla!

Welcome & sorry that you are experiencing that pain. I am a strong advocate of calling your doctor if you feel anything out of the ordinary, especially when there is pain involved!

I experienced a sharp "stabbing" pain a week ago today that wouldn't go away. I ended up in the ER that night, I got pain meds & was told that if I didn't get much relief in the next 48 hours to come back, which os exactly what I did! Don't ever ignore what your body might be trying to tell you.

I just had a minor surgery today to drain what was finally diagnosed to be a hematoma near my internal stitches that had become infected 7 days post-op. I have now spent 6 days in the hospital trying to get the infection under control. I have been on continuous IV antibiotic therapy & pain control the entire time.

Keep us posted & best of luck to you!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-19-2008, 06:44 PM

Hi Bolla, Welcome!
I've had pain on the left side, too. Even now, at 4 months post-op, when I over-do my activity, it comes back. Not sure why it's there, but at least for me it's not causing a problem; just uncomfortable.
Unread 05-19-2008, 09:09 PM

Hi, Bolla!
I also had sharp pains, but on the right side. The doctor said they are due to "adhesions", internal stitches that have not fully healed yet. She said that it can take up to a year for full recovery sometimes.
Unread 05-20-2008, 01:43 AM
Hang In There!

My surgery was 2 years ago now, but right after I too had horrible shap pains on one side. Rolling over in bed made the pain fierce and I definitely couldn't sleep on that side. I had real bad endo and I guess my doc had a hard time removing my right ovarie so that's where my pain came from. If I remember right, it lasted maybe 3 weeks but then even long after I could still feel it if I over-did it a bit. It does take a long time to totally heal but if you have pain that you are worried about, the best thing is just to check with your doctor. Hope you feel much better real soon!
Unread 05-20-2008, 06:16 AM

I find that if I overdo it, I get pain in my left side. Not sharp or stabbing pain, but a kind of dull ache. Got it over the weekend when I did the lawn. I know it takes a long time to fully recover from this surgery, sometimes it is frustrating, hang in there!
Unread 05-23-2008, 12:50 AM

I thought I was crazy cuz I have pain on the left side too. My left overy was taken but not the right one so I thought it had something to do with that. Another thing I thought might be causing it is that is the side I get out of bed on and I think i strain those muscles more than the other side. I tried getting up on the other side more often and that did help. My left side is still more painfull though. It is good to know I am not alone.
Unread 05-23-2008, 02:39 AM

I am 4 mo. out and still have the dull ache on the left side... I wonder now if there is a small area of fluid. I told my doctor at my check up that it still hurt and he said it could be a tear in the fascia, but didn't recommend any further treatment. Makes you wonder...I know if it was their body, they would be screaming...
I also had a ct scan that didn't show anything... I was actually thinking they might have left something in during surgery.
But I also get out of bed on the left side, so maybe there is some adhesion damage there...WHY DON'T THEY MENTION THESE THINGS TO US... WE HAVE TO LEARN THE HARD WAY. :-)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register