LAVH 3 weeks post-op: Walking after hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

3 weeks post-op: Walking after hysterectomy 3 weeks post-op: Walking after hysterectomy

Unread 06-28-2015, 07:51 PM
3 weeks post-op: Walking after hysterectomy

Hey ladies. I am 3 weeks post op from a LAVH, kept my ovaries.

My DR told me that I could start walking for exercise but I am wondering how much walking.

Today I went to Sam's Club and just walking around there made me tired.

Any info is appreciated!
Thanks ladies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-28-2015, 08:08 PM
Re: Walking

A little bit at a time! Try walking a very short distance around your house-like to your mailbox and back or walk the perimeter of your yard at first. Wherever you decide to go, remember that you have to get back so don't walk so far that you are too tired to get back.

I found it was better to do several short walks instead of one big walk.
Unread 06-28-2015, 08:54 PM
3 weeks post-op: Walking after hysterectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebird:) View Post
A little bit at a time! Try walking a very short distance around your house-like to your mailbox and back or walk the perimeter of your yard at first. Wherever you decide to go, remember that you have to get back so don't walk so far that you are too tired to get back.

I found it was better to do several short walks instead of one big walk.
Thanks for your response. I am walking around the house. I'm up and moving since 2 weeks post op.

I'm just unsure how much is good to walk and how much is to much Idk.... my DR wants me walking for exercise, and to loose weight but I got so tired at Sam's Club today, so I'm just not sure how much to do.

Maybe I'll start off on my street and see how I feel. I have been having a great post op so far, everything going fine, just getting tired when walking and can't sit for a little

Thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-28-2015, 11:47 PM
Re: Walking after hysterectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv4two View Post
Thanks for your response. I am walking around the house. I'm up and moving since 2 weeks post op.

I'm just unsure how much is good to walk and how much is to much Idk.... my DR wants me walking for exercise, and to loose weight but I got so tired at Sam's Club today, so I'm just not sure how much to do.

Maybe I'll start off on my street and see how I feel. I have been having a great post op so far, everything going fine, just getting tired when walking and can't sit for a little

Thanks again
Hello and nice to meet you

Walking around your house is a great start. Everyone will provide you with different answers to "How much walking should I do?" and that's because we all had our surgeries for various reasons. I clearly remember that for the first few months of my recovery when I went grocery shopping with my hubby, we borrowed a wheel chair from customer service as I didn't feel strong enough to walk around a lot. In time, I no longer needed to use one Some sisters on here were walking a mile in no time but I refused to compare myself to them because my surgery was very lengthy and involved as I had Stage IV endometriosis so there was a lot of cutting to be done.

Your body will let you know if you have done too much, let it be your guide and I hope you have a wonderful recovery.

Take care
Unread 06-29-2015, 04:55 AM
Re: 3 weeks post-op: Walking after hysterectomy

If you weren't up and about for the first 2 weeks, you will probably need to increase your distance gradually. You could try for example walking around the block and then rest and see how you feel. If you're not too tired, then you could try again in awhile.
Unread 06-29-2015, 05:15 AM

I increased my walks by 2 minute increments each day. The first day, I set my timer on my phone so that after 3 minutes, I turned around and walked back (didn't make it to the end of my street). The next day, I set it for 4 minutes (so approximately 8 minutes total).

Eventually, I worked my way up to my normal, daily pre-hysterectomy walks (about 2-3 miles).

I find that the key is to do a little bit less than you think you can (with all activities, not just walking), then work your way up gradually. I think women develop problems when they suddenly go from being inactive to trying to do a lot all at once.
Unread 06-29-2015, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Hey ladies. I am 3 weeks post op from a LAVH, kept my ovaries.

My DR told me that I could start walking for exercise but I am wondering how much walking.

Today I went to Sam's Club and just walking around there made me tired.

Any info is appreciated!
Thanks ladies
my doctor had no restriction for walking as long as it it within reason and no crazy heavy duty hikes or such.

I started walking the day after surgery at home, which was just 10 minutes in front of the house with him back and forth - slowly.
I increased and slowly and took my husband the first couple of walks.
Now day 11 I usually go 3 times 20 -25 minutes slowly and it is all in my neighborhood, no uneven surfaces and I can take a break whenever I want.
I did not get pain from walking or any discharge and never felt I was over doing it.
You can call you doctor's office for specific instructions and it should be clear that you are not starting out with a marathon...
Unread 06-29-2015, 07:21 AM

Quote:
...Maybe I'll start off on my street and see how I feel. I have been having a great post op so far, everything going fine, just getting tired when walking and can't sit for a little

Thanks again
Starting off on your street is an excellent idea. That's how I started off. Walk until you're just *starting* to feel tired, then head for home.

It's okay if you feel tired after a walk and need to rest for a bit. What you want to avoid is getting so tired that even after you've rested, you still feel exhausted and uncomfortable. That's too much walking! It's better to alternate: a bit of walking, a bit of rest and then, *if* you feel up to it, a bit more walking, a bit more rest.

How much walking is the right amount is different for every woman, so no one can tell you an exact amount. You have to listen to your body and start off with small bits.

Good luck!
Unread 06-29-2015, 11:50 AM

It was a long time before I could go into a big supermarket by myself, and I've still only done it a few times. To me, having to navigate crowds and avoid being bumped with shopping trolleys and other people's elbows is much harder than walking a mile on slightly hilly ground. And you spend more time standing around waiting for people to get out of your way and standing and waiting in queues than you spend actually walking and getting exercise.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register