For post-op sisters... what was the WORST thing? - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

For post-op sisters... what was the WORST thing? For post-op sisters... what was the WORST thing?

Unread 06-30-2009, 07:19 PM
Re: For post-op sisters... what was the WORST thing?

I have to say the worst for the first day with gas pains in hosiptal which did not last long, then having troublae sleeping that was my biggest problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-30-2009, 07:56 PM

Rangerbrook - I don't know how you've managed to be back at work so soon, but it gives me hope. I have 8 wks off but I'd like to think I can spend a week or two doing some shopping or something fun
Unread 06-30-2009, 08:32 PM

The pain in general is bad......but the worst thing for me was that "first-out-of-bed"!!!! Oh, that hurt sooooo bad!!!! Once you get that up and out over with and those first few steps over with though, that all eases with every move. And I guess the second worse thing would be the anticipation and the actual BM. That really hurt....but again, is getting better. The catheter didn't bother me. The pain meds worked for me. The gas was pretty bad. Couldn't and still can't sleep in my bed. Having to occupy a sofa to be comfortable enough to sleep.
But just know that all our bodies react and heal in different ways. We all have a different tolerance level for pain. Just think positive thoughts and say your prayers. It's gonna hurt, but we are women and we are survivors. And we are here for you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-30-2009, 08:59 PM

No one has mentioned this so I must be the exception but the worst things for me were ...
1) I had a stabbing pain on my right shoulder blade like if someone had shot me with an arrow. The doctor said it was my insides releasing gases and getting trapped there. It took 5 days to go away!
2) When your leg nerves wake up it feels like someone burning you with a cigarette. And these nerves wake up at random 24 hours a day
3) Waiting 3 hours for a room without pain meds.. then finally getting a room in the postpartum department.. That's just cruel since I can't have kids now..
Unread 06-30-2009, 09:09 PM

I had my 6 weeks check up today. All is well.
The worst thing for me continues to be numbness on left leg, abdomen and other girl parts. This from the lymph node removal. It is supposed to eventually go away.
I would have it again in a heart beat. No more concern about cancer(I had a precancerous condition.)
Good luck to you.
Unread 07-01-2009, 03:12 PM

Hi, I was curious as to what the "old-timers" would say as well. I am only 15 days post-op, but the worst thing for me so far was the hospital stay. It was impossible to sleep with all the alarms, nurses in every 2-4 hours, and my very sick room mate. The morphine they gave my managed my pain, and my strength and energy are coming back. Think positive! Everyone's recovery is different, listen to your body and follow the Dr's instructions.
Unread 07-01-2009, 03:52 PM

Looking back I would say the worst for me was not being able to do anything around the house. I had my TAH 3 days before Christmas. The first 2 weeks were ok as my kids were home on break to keep me occupied. But after that talk about cabin fever. Focusing at that time was very hard for reading, and TV. I was released to drive at 2 weeks, but could only drive in good weather. We had a few of our worst snows during my recovery. So driving was limited.

I terribly missed my students and co workers. I work with emotionally disturbed kids and am as attached to them like my own children.

Yes I had to deal with pain, weird body stuff!! Things went pretty well with my physical recovery.

Now I am glad I did it when I did because I am on summer break and would not want to be limited on my outside activities.

I am so glad I had this surgery.
Unread 07-01-2009, 04:33 PM

The worst thing post op?

Gaaaaaaasssssss paaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiin.

Only thing that helped was lying in bed on my right side. Thank goodness that particular strategy really did help.

Everything else was tolerable because I knew that each day, I'd get a little bit better, a little bit healthier.
Unread 07-01-2009, 04:59 PM

If you've had a TAH, can you lay on your side?
Unread 07-01-2009, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catarina View Post
If you've had a TAH, can you lay on your side?
Well, I did! I just grabbed the right hand rail and pulled, thus rolling myself onto my side. Didn't say it was easy, but it was worth it!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register