Clear liquid diet? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Clear liquid diet? Clear liquid diet?

Unread 03-30-2006, 05:38 AM
Clear liquid diet?

I am on a clear liquid diet on Monday, the day before my surgery. I was told by the doctors office that that means no soda, only clear liquids, and popsicles were okay. I was told by someone at work that "red" popsicles are not okay, neither is "red" jello. She (the woman at work) has had many surgeries. According to the rules of your doctor's offices, what is the normal okay for a clear, liquid diet? I'm hoping for lemonade, and some italian ice's. Anyone know if those are okay?? It's going to be a looonnnggg miserable Monday for me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-30-2006, 05:57 AM
Clear liquid diet?

Chicken Broth (homeade is pretty good) jello, tea coffee no milk, My dr said sodas were ok, gatorade I had ginger ale. I had a bowel cleansing and liquid diet yesterday and I nothing today my surgery is today at 12:30 ugh. Good luck It is not so bad Just don't watch the Food Channel. LLH
Unread 03-30-2006, 06:50 AM
Clear liquid diet?

Sleigh,
I will be on that clear diet on Tues. Good luck girlfriend! I think I will be starving!!!!!! I have already bought some chicken broth, I guess I will buy Gatorade or bubble stuff. I have pre op today so I will ask if Italian Ices are ok, I love those!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-30-2006, 06:52 AM
Clear liquid diet?

I am on a clear liquid diet today for a colonoscopy tomorrow and my print out specifically says NO RED popsicles or jello - lemon or lime jello is recommended. While I didn't have a print out for my surgery prep, I was taking the same medication for that prep, so I'm assuming the same rule(s) would apply. Good luck to you!
Unread 03-30-2006, 07:19 AM
Clear liquid diet?

LLH,

Good luck today! I'm wishing you well. Let us know how you are doing, and thank you for the information
Unread 03-30-2006, 07:27 AM
Clear liquid diet?

I am on a liquid diet on Sunday, I see my dr. today, I will ask her if red is OK, cause I got strawberry jello!

Hugs. T
Unread 03-30-2006, 05:45 PM
Clear liquid diet?

The reason they don't allow anything with red dye in it when you're prepping for a colonoscopy is that the dye could cause false readings in the colonoscopy - make it look like you're bleeding when you're not. I don't see that there would be any problem having these things when prepping for this surgery. The only thing wrong is the dye and they won't be looking inside your colon during your surgery.

You might ask someone at the doctor's office to be sure.

CD
Unread 03-30-2006, 07:13 PM
Clear liquid diet?

call and ask your doctor. I was allowed to have orange jello.
Unread 03-30-2006, 08:45 PM
Clear liquid diet?

I agree -- call to make sure. Some docs allow all "colors" of jello, some do not... Why limit yourself if it's not necessary?

Also, I recommend making your Jello with slightly less water than normal -- this makes it a little more firm and gives you the feeling you're "eating" something. You might also want to check and see if "no soda" includes no sparkling water. If you can have sparkling water, then I recommend "sparkle Jello" -- use 3/4 c. boiling water to dissolve the Jello, then use 1 to 1-1/4 c. cold sparkling water (prepare for it to fizz up ALOT initially). Stir it once after it has been in the fridge for about 1/2 hour... It's a little more lively than plain Jello.

Hope this helps!
Unread 03-31-2006, 06:07 AM
Clear liquid diet?

SLeigh 123,

I was told that red dyes stick to the lining of the intestine. This can make any type of repair difficult. My doc said that even though the risk of a bowel nick is minimal that it was better safe than sorry. So nothing red before my surgery. Hope this helps.

Fallflower

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register