Leg Cramps -- Update! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Leg Cramps -- Update! Leg Cramps -- Update!

Unread 09-23-2007, 05:08 AM
Leg Cramps

Okay I have been experiencing horrible leg cramps from the hip to the ankle. I can't walk right but hobble.

Does anyone else experience this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-23-2007, 06:08 AM
leg cramps

Hi there.Is the cramping in one leg or both.
Unread 09-23-2007, 06:27 AM
Leg Cramps -- Update!

I have had leg cramping since before my surgery and nothing seems to relieve it. I think that the surgery just makes it worse. But, like I said, for me I have had it for a while.

I would not ignore that. If you have localized pain, swelling or reddeness in one area then you should call your doc. I would call anyway just to let him know. You could be developing a clot, your electrolytes, especially your potassium could be off or it could just be related to the surgery. I would definitely call your physician. Speaking as a nurse, as much as patients think that they are being a pain in the butt with the doc, the doc would be really annoyed if you didn't call and it turned into something worse that if you would have called earlier could be managed easily. I had this on Friday as I was bleeding, bright red blood on Thursday and Friday but it was not saturating the pads and went away soon after. I thought, well I am seeing him Monday so I will wait, then I thought, what if I have more bleeding on the weekend and I have to go to the ER, I know that the first thing out of his mouth would be "why didn't you call Friday?". So, I phoned and made him aware and was told to keep my legs up and come in Monday. So far, I have been just having a very light discharge. I am just taking it easy.

So, call your doc and make him aware, he is the only one who can diagnose and treat.

Take care.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-23-2007, 07:15 AM
Leg Cramps -- Update!

Well, I have had soarness in my muscles and ligaments in the hip joint on the right side since the surgery. When I went back to the doctor for the bladder recheck this past monday. I mentioned it to him. I told him its been kinda difficult to get and walk b/c the muscles and ligaments hurt so bad from the lavh. I told him I thought it was from my legs being up in the stirups. He agreed that it was a general compliant. Now, my right leg is cramping really bad. I feel like since I roll up and roll down on the right side its from that but I don't want any more meds for muscle relaxation b/c I am on a bladder meds that make me dizzy and sleepy.

I did a runners stretch laying on the couch yesterday and it seemed to help. So, I am going to get his permission to start doing those a couple times of day to stay limber. I have had problems with adhesions in the past so they were not wanting me to get and excerise to soon after the operation. I had mine on the 12th. I was released with catherater on the 14th. I went back on the 17th for a bladder check and see I could go tee0tee like a big girl (see my post (i'm a big girl now).

I have spoken with my doctor's office several times this week already. Twice my calling them and friday they got a wrong phone number and called me. They still asked if I was doing okay.

I'm not bleeding hardly at all. I would call it an occassional spot. I feel blessed that its going smoothly.

I just wanted to be sure that leg cramps weren't unusual.
Unread 09-23-2007, 07:20 AM
Leg Cramps -- Update!

I don't know if it's normal or not, but my calves were sore for my first couple of weeks postop and it went away. I've had hip pain but walking helped with that.
Unread 09-23-2007, 07:21 AM
Leg Cramps -- Update!

I am glad that you are in regular talks with your doc, I am too. I have had spotting since the surgery. It is light, and need only a liner but wish it would end. I know that when I had my daughter I bled for 12 weeks, and when he did my lap for endo I also bled for a while. So, I am wondering if this is just me. This is lightest that I have had with any procedure that I have had so maybe it is a good sign. Either way I will see what he says tomorrow and I am hoping that I don't have to be cauterized.

Good luck.
Unread 09-23-2007, 07:36 AM
Leg Cramps -- Update!

Well the dr put me on some meds called bethanechol a generic version of urecholine tab. It makes me go tee-tee very frequently. I do mean frequently. I have to drink chocolate milk to keep from having an upset stomach but I go and go. It takes me about 10 mins to "empty" the bladder. At first I had not sensation to go tee-tee came home with a catherate for a weekend. Then went back on the monday and all was well. I had bladder spasms w/the catherate.

Ask dr about the medicine to help you.

My dh says that my problem is that I am not use to having to rest and use to my body "popping" back after anything but he said its age and my body is just healing slower this time.
Unread 09-23-2007, 01:18 PM
Leg Cramps -- Update!

I just this morning starting having cramping in my left leg. It is inbetween my ankle and knee, but on the side (Side facing in) of my leg, not calf muscle. I am a couple of days away from 6 weeks post op from a TVH. Had a dr visit last week and was told I was doing great, could resume everything, now this.
Unread 09-23-2007, 02:20 PM
Leg Cramps -- Update!

it must be our bodies response to stress. Our bodies are so neat...instead of a mental break down we have a mental cramp...just joking...i've had my mental melt down too during the last week and half.
Unread 09-23-2007, 02:46 PM
Leg Cramps -- Update!

I think we all probably have had the mental break downs. Isn't that part of it? I have days where I am fine and others where I cry for no reason, it seems like. I know we will look back on this and know it was worth it. I know it does feel nice not bleeding all the time anymore. I just can't wait for my body to feel normal. I guess I should say good, because my normal was feeling horrible before. Now if I can get this leg cramp and my swollen belly to go away!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register