11 days post op and feeling very rough | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

11 days post op and feeling very rough 11 days post op and feeling very rough

Unread 07-18-2008, 09:06 PM
11 days post op and feeling very rough

TVH w/A&P repairs and bladder lift on July 7th, discharged 7/9, catheter removed 7/14 and catheterized again 7/16 in the ER due to urine retention and inability to urinate.

Since the fiasco in the ER on the 14th I have felt really rough. I posted earlier that it took 5 cath kits before they called the urologist because they couldn't get the cath inserted. After having so many hands down there pulling on very delicate skin that has had stitches from vagina to rectum, I now feel like raw meat. The Dr prescribed estrogen cream to use at bedtime, which has helped some and I have been using A&D ointment during the day but I still burn and am very irritated. My SIL suggested that I may have a yeast infection?

I have also begun bleeding heavier, not real heavier but more than I was and it is now fresh blood. I called the Dr on call and he didn't seem concerned but told me to call back monday am.

I am still catheterized but I can feel the urine drop into the bladder and it creates pressure before it drains into the cath. It doesn't seem like I am passing near as much urine as I was when I was on the cath the first time, and I never felt myself urinate or the urine drop into the bladder. I now also pass urine into the toilet when I sit to have a BM. I am assuming it is leaking from around the cath tubing but I don't know where it is coming from.

If I am on my feet at all I have tremendous pelvic pressure light I used to with the prolapses during my period. I also have quite a bit of pain. I know I am not supposed to sit much which is very painful when I do, even on pillows so I avoid as much as possible.

I am feeling down since I read such good reports from so many and still am unable to do much walking and I am still retaining fluid and my belly looks like a watermelon. I was 11 lbs heavier this past wed. than prior to surgery UGH!.

If anyone has experience with any of the setbacks I am experiencing I would love some encouragement and or advice. And if this is rambling I apologize. I am in pain and I forgot to write down the last time I took pain meds so I have to wait until I know it is safe to take more.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-18-2008, 11:38 PM

I am sorry I have no advice for you. My heart goes out to you and you will be in my thoughts. Just try to rest and relax,just do as much as your body allows. I would call tomorrow and see if a different doctor is on call. I am 5 weeks out and I have a lovely spare tire thing going on(seems to inflate more as the day goes by).
I hope your recovery improves soon but please give yourself time and don't worry if you take longer than some. I am still under restriction from my doctor and will be at least until week 8 do to complications.
Unread 07-19-2008, 07:57 AM

Oh, (((sister))) -- I'm sorry you're having this much difficulty.

I did not have a catheter at home but I did deal with three surgical drains for a few weeks, and I can tell you that was no fun.... so I can only imagine what it's like to have a catheter 24/7.

I was still in a good deal of pain and taking pain meds around the clock at over 2 weeks post-op. Not everyone has a textbook recovery, but then, even a "textbook" recovery is supposed to take 6-8 weeks. I hope that gives you some hope. I also remember reading the reports of the ladies who seemed to be doing sooo much better than I was. Try not to be discouraged -- there are others out there who are also struggling to one degree or another.

At your stage post-op, I was barely able to do anything more strenuous than running the remote on the TV and getting my own water. My "walking" consisted of shuffling to the bathroom (either to go potty or to empty the drains). I wasn't even remotely up to having visitors, I had little or no appetite, and I also gained quite a bit of weight. (They removed 4 pounds of fat off my abdomen, but I gained 8 pounds in the hospital. ) It was a few weeks before I felt the excess fluid leave my system.

I hope you're having regular follow-up to assure yourself that your catheter is working properly. Somehow the leaking urine in conjunction with a bm doesn't sound right to me, although another (((sister))) may come along to shed additional light on that subject.

I hope you're feeling better soon. Take extra care and please know you're not alone! We're always here for you, 24/7.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register