Do I need a Hysterectomy? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Do I need a Hysterectomy? Do I need a Hysterectomy?

Unread 03-21-2012, 05:28 PM
Do I need a Hysterectomy?

Hi Ladies,

I'm looking for some advice so I just going to tell my story.

To start off, I'm 32 and I don't have health insurance and the state of Alabama doesn't have any programs that will give me a Hysterectomy if needed. The only thing they offer is "Family Planning" via Medicaid (birth control, STD care and b/c of my age a Pap every 3yrs.)

All the women on both sides of my family (aunts, grandmothers and mom) have all had to have a hysterectomy.

Cervical cancer, ovarian cancer, cysts, fibroid tumors among others run on both sides of my family.

Almost 2 years ago I had my period for 2 yrs straight. I eventually had a D&C done and learned that I had polyps really bad. They ran tests and I was in the clear. They were unsure if the polyps were the reason for me having my period for those 2 yrs. The Doctor put me on a birth control pill that had estrogen and for a year after my periods were back to normal. That was when I was in living in Florida.

Now that I am back in Alabama, the won't put me on a birth control with estrogen b/c I have to many risk factors...weight, age and unfortunately...smoking (which I wouldn't have a problem giving up). Since I stopped the the birth control with estrogen my periods have become more and more abnormal. As of Jan. 31st 2012 I started my period and had it for over a month...it recently stopped a couple weeks ago.

My mom thinks I need to find a way to have Hysterectomy done. We both feel it's only a matter of time before I end up having the same issues as the other women in my family.

Is a Hysterectomy the answer? If any of you ladies feel like sharing, what were some of the reasons you needed to have a Hysterectomy?

Any support would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-21-2012, 07:32 PM
Re: Do I need a Hysterectomy?

I want to respond to your thread, but I'm not sure what to say. I think you need a hysterectomy, but I'm not a doctor. Is there a way to approach the doctor or hospital about financial assistance? Some hospitals receive grants to help people out. Some doctors donate time free of cost to help out. I have been without insurance in the past so I know it is hard. I hope something comes up to help you.
Unread 03-22-2012, 11:40 AM

Your insurance and possible need for surgery sounds all too familiar. I spent years ( when I had insurance) going from Dr to Dr being told the pain and heavy bleeding was normal. I knew it wasn't. I eventually didn't have insurance and at an annual pap with a new doctor started telling her my pain/bleeding story. To my surprise she was very concerned. She told me she suspected a hysterectomy was in my future ( 3 years ago) but she needed to run some tests. I wasn't insured, didn't have money, so another year passed and no tests were done. The next years annual pap appointment she again told me she needed to run tests and suggested I find a way to get some insurance because she needed to run these tests and still thought surgery would be needed. I found a way to afford insurance ( with the thought that I'd cancel it later after the tests). I have actually gone in debt making the premiums. I had to wait 6 months to get past the preexisting condition period to be covered, but at my next annual pap I told the DR I had insurance so , " test away" . ( I am so glad I got the insurance, the premiums are nothing compared to the medical bills). She ran blood tests to check hormones, as well as sent me for an ultrasound and trans vaginal ultrasound. The results of these tests were shocking to me. She immediately scheduled a laparascopy and D & C. She found polyps, cysts, adhesions, scar tissue, fibroids, Adenomyosis and Endometriosis. ( These bills have been over $30,000, again luckily I got the insurance.) After this first surgery she informed me that after I had recovered for 6 weeks from the first surgery she needed to do a total hysterectomy. I am scheduled April 4, 2012 for this. Find a way to get insurance. I thought it was impossible financially too, but you need it to cover the costs of tests, even if you don't end up needing a hysterectomy. The Ultrasound alone would have cost me more than a years worth of insurance premiums.Medical costs are sky high. Even with insurance I am buried in bills right now for deductible and co pay amounts. I can not imaging what It would be like if I didn't have insurance, especially with the upcoming surgery again. On a good note medical insurance premiums as well as out of pocket medical costs are considered IRS deductions, so at tax time you will get a little break for costs you paid out.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-22-2012, 12:35 PM

To answer your question: it's not normal to be bleeding so much and, if nothing else, I imagine you're exhausted and possibly anaemic. A hysterectomy is probably in your future, but you need to ask yourself if it's what you want (have you finished having children for example?) and if there are any alternatives - it's major surgery, definitely not to be taken lightly!. I think you need closer medical follow-up than you're having - wish I could offer a solution for the insurance side but I'm not qualified!

I wish you lots of luck,
Christina
Unread 03-22-2012, 12:53 PM
Do I need a Hysterectomy?

Thank you guys so much for your replies ans support!! I spoke to a friend of mine last night and she suggested I get an endometrial ablation. That would stop the bleeding issue and prevent me from ever having a period again.

That would be great but unless I am able to get some real tests done it would only be a temporary fix.

I guess I've got some calls to make. Coffeencake, you right. There has to be someone or something out there that can help me. I just have to stay positive.

cathb911, thank you so much for your support. I wish you a the best of luck and a speedy recovery.

xoxox ladies!

And yes, I am exhausted!!! If a hysterectomy is in my future I'm not really scared. I feel it is or will be needed. Just the fear of the unknown is killing me. Sometimes I feel like is want to have it done before I end up like all the other women in my family. I don't want to have anymore kids. Especially since they are 13, 14 and 18. My 14year old is the only one I've given birth to. I certainly don't know what a hysterectomy would be like but I had a c-section with my son. It's gotta be pretty close....maybe?
Unread 03-22-2012, 02:12 PM

A Hysterectomy is way different than a C Section. Keep reading posts on here and you will get answers to many of your concerns. Hystersisters is a very valuable resource. You can find threads with answers to just about anything on here! Good luck to you!!
Unread 03-22-2012, 02:15 PM

I've never had kids, unfortunately, and now it's too late so I can't really make a comparison with a C-Section. I had an abdominal opening of about 10cm which of course has left a scar but it's healing nicely! I was back on my feet the next day and, apart from some tiredness and the odd pain when I do too much at work, I'm pretty much back to normal! Don't be too scared - the doctors know what they're doing!

All the best,
Christina
Unread 03-22-2012, 02:28 PM

(((imedzgurl)))

I am sorry you are having such a frustrating time and I hope you find some answers soon. There are health insurance companies that do offer plans to those who do not have insurance but have current health conditions. Various medical facilities and doctors also have programs for those who are either uninsured or under-insured, and many usually offer at least a discount for cash patients. You might want to do some web searching to see what all options might be available for you.

Keep in mind, a hysterectomy is a major surgery complete with risks and that may not be the best option for you. An ablation might be a solution for you. But before trying various options, you should push for a diagnosis as to what is causing your symptoms.

(((Ladies))), as a reminder, the site guidelines ask that members not post about hot topic issues including health care. All hot topic comments about health care have been removed from this thread.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register