TAH Scared... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 03-09-2013, 01:21 PM
Scared...

Hello,

Either I am having some kind of post-op anxiety freak-out or, well, I don't know.

Several things: I have been straining somewhat due to constipation (going regularly but a little hard to pass) and am convinced that I have torn something, although I don't have specific evidence except ongoing soreness, bruising and burning near the scar. I don't have any new pain (day 10 post-op TAH) except for what feels like sore bruising around my belly button. My stomach feels sore and swollen and a little hard and I notice that I have a very prominent vein on my stomach that I never had before. I have convinced myself there is something terribly wrong and am scared and frightened. What is this bulging vein? And does everyone feel like they have been kicked in the stomach? I am on top of my pain meds and eating/drinking/taking stool softeners etc as recommended.

Urgh.....

Thanks for any advice or suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-09-2013, 01:31 PM
Re: Scared...

What you describe sounds normal. I don't know if you are aware of this but even if you have a bikini incision, the doctor split the muscles vertically under the skin and that will account for the soreness you have near your belly button and all the way down to your incision. However, that being said, if you are concerned please call your doctor.
Unread 03-09-2013, 01:33 PM

I had a TAH Feb 18th. The weirdest thing for me is the pain near my belly button....this is so far away from the incision it is weird! I think what you are feeling seems pretty normal with what I have been feeling, sort of like being kicked in the stomach. As for the vein, I can't say, but at times I feel like I might have a ball in my abdomen which I am chalking up to swelling. The most bothersome symptom I have still is pain while urinating, and now suddenly burning. I am keeping an eye on it. Relax, lay down, put your feet up and use some ice! : friend:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-09-2013, 01:33 PM

I had no idea that the muscles were split vertically! That would explain the vertical numbness too.

Thank you for your kindness in replying. I think I am just being hit by some major scares....

x
Unread 03-09-2013, 01:41 PM

Hello Mecha,

Thank you for your echoing of the belly-button symptoms. It is reassuring that it is not just me. I've been really 'cool' with it all up to now (well, relatively for a slightly neurotic Englishwoman lol), but this evening all my freak-outs have come out to play. Maybe the lack of a full night's sleep for the last week too. I feel scared and a bit out of control, but will try and nip this worrying in the bud.

I hope your painful pee symptoms clear up soon. Sending you very best wishes for your recovery too.

OK- will put feet up and stop fretting as much as possible. DH has just made me a Tranquility Tea and will crack open the Downton Abbey series 3 that lovely ma brought over.
Unread 03-09-2013, 01:44 PM

Here is a link to a visual and explanation of a common type of bikini incision that is often used with pelvic surgery such as a hysterectomy. It is a called a Pfannenstiel Incision. The visual is a drawing so it isn't too graphic. I hope this helps.
Unread 03-09-2013, 02:41 PM

Interesting graphics, thank you. I appreciate your help in providing the information - the pain makes more sense now.

Best wishes,

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register